1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

'Tis all good!

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by knot2share, Jul 20, 2012.

1. knot2share

knot2share Gold IL'ite

TO LIVE A CREATIVE LIFE, ONE MUST LOSE THE FEAR OF BEING WRONG

Now how good is that! And that is why they say that we must think like a child and be a child. Because their view of the world is so beautiful. The sky is pink and the leaves are red. Clouds are orange and flowers are blue. The creative energy that flows when there is no fear of being judged is tremendously satisfying.

I subscribe to this philosophy totally when it comes to my kitchen. And take the courage to let you into one of my creative adventures.

It was clear sky and a chilly morning, as I rugged myself up quite comfortably on the sofa with a very big mug of hot and steaming tea in my hands. The bright sunshine tickled my enthuness. I decided on doing something exciting and elaborate in my kitchen that day. Let me tell you, that I normally do not enjoy cooking as much as I enjoy washing dishes.

[​IMG]

I remembered the baby eggplants I had purchased the previous day at the market. They looked so fresh and cute that, I could not ignore their baby voices crying ‘buy me please!’

So, what could I make with them? Yessss, Gutti Vankaya - a traditional Andhra Pradesh recipe for stuffed eggplant (or brinjal as it is called or even aubergine) fry. This was also to surprise my hubby. He has never enjoyed any of the eggplant dishes that I prepare because they always turn out to be gooey [​IMG] . This new dish was going to change his opinion about eggplants and me!

Oh! but did I know how to prepare the dish? I had tasted this many years ago and always wanted to try cooking it myself, but the opportunity never came by [​IMG] .

Well, one can never thank technology enough these days. I jumped online and googled the recipe for Gutti Vankaya. I noticed a video link on how to prepare Gutti Vankaya.

The procedure for making Gutti Vankaya was quite simple. The only time-consuming activity was to dry roast some ingredients and grind them into a powder, for the filling.

At this point, I should also tell you about the interesting tendency that I have with following recipes - I never follow them to the T and always try short-cuts.

Incidentally, the spiced-powder used in the filling, could also be mixed with cooked rice (and a couple of teaspoons of ghee), or eaten with idli and dosa. Now that was when my brain worked in a flash!

I grabbed the MTR chutney powder packet and looked at the ingredients. They were the same as instructed in the video link for this recipe. So, why would I go through the trouble of dry roasting them and grinding them, when I have a powdered packet of ingredients already? Smart, don’t you think?

[​IMG]

Excitement took over as I began my experiment. I washed the eggplants and slit them as instructed. The powder was then mixed with water to form a paste. I stuffed the eggplants with the mix and kept them ready.

Heated oil in a non-stick pan and laid these eggplants neatly. They sizzled and cooked on the pan. I had to turn each one of them every 3-4 minutes so that they cooked evenly on all sides.

As I turned them over with a pair of tongs, I noticed that the spice paste slipped out of the pockets as one lump. Oh no! What happened? I managed to slide them into the pockets again safely and closed the pan with a lid, with the hope that the steam from the cooking might soften the paste and mix with the eggplant as they cooked. I dare not turn them over again.

The eggplant looked soft and done after a while. The stalks were still intact. And so were the lumps of spice. I squeezed some lime and sprinkled coriander leaves generously to garnish. It was crunch time. Remember, it is all in the presentation!

[​IMG]

‘Something smells good!’ – hubby said.

My hopes of impressing him evaporated with the steam, as he opened the lid of the pan to taste one of them.

‘Certainly better of the lot you have made so far!’

I was shocked! Did I hear that right? My first certificate of tick after these many years of married life!

So, will I recommend this experiment to all of you?

NO!

Never take short-cuts; at least for this one. The dish tasted so bad. I had to bite on the lump of spice first and then bite on the eggplant, to mix them both in my mouth!!! This surely gives you an idea on the kind of cooking my hubby has to put up with.

Well, at least it did not turn out gooey :-(.

8 people like this.

2. ambika04

ambika04 Gold IL'ite

Hi Sree,

Beleive me today only I thought of you because I have mentioned about your post in my recent post Hop a Little... I thought to as k you as` why are you restricting your post only to blog section'?.We miss you here in snippets but it feels great to have you here.I will come back regarding the content of the post got some work :)

Last edited: Jul 20, 2012
  3. monifa13

monifa13 Bronze IL'ite

At last knot2share!I thank your Gutti Venkaya which brought you here.. I never take short-cuts while following recipes but invent new ones when I get into a mood. Once I cooked this Gutti Venkaya without knowing it is called GV. I had these beautiful small, even-sized eggplants and I cooked them almost the same way you did but the stuffing was different.I mixed MTR bisibela masala powder, some copra fried in ghee, tamarind paste, salt and added some chopped curry leaves and coriander for stuffing. It was awesome....

4. kanaka Raghavan

kanaka Raghavan IL Hall of Fame

wow,really enjoyed that neat and sleek write up.Me too many a times have taken short cuts,but the taste is nothing compared to the neat elaborate process,step by step given .

5. Mindian

Mindian IL Hall of Fame

A hearty welcome back ,Shree

I personally feel one should invent short cuts in anything we have gotta do..so I too am guilty of opting for it when I cook my everyday fare but when it is cooking for pleasure (which can also be on a daily basis....it depends on my moods ;) I follow the recipe verbatim.

I squeezed some lime and sprinkled coriander leaves generously to garnish. It was crunch time. Remember, it is all in the presentation!

Now there lies the smartness you spoke of :thumbsup hahha trying to deceive your audience?.. again, been there and done it many times.:cheers

missed you here.. hope to see you more often.:)

1 person likes this.
  6. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

Hi knot2share,

now that was a wonderful idea to start with. I totally agree with you, when you have the stuff you need ready at hand, why on earth would you want to reinvent the wheel? It was just bad luck that made the stuff part company with the brinjals. Happens. BTW, I do the same many times - cut corners, alter something or the other - eventually it turns out edible for human kind even if it does not turn out as wonderful as the recipe and the photograph in the blog promised us it would be. :-D

7. sushmavja

sushmavja Platinum IL'ite

knot2share,
    enjoyed your gutti vankaya snippet..i make good gutti vankaya though i dont eat it..my DH likes it a lot

8. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

Dear K2S,

A very nice post. At least the fear of being wrong is eliminated by that experiment. I am glad your husband looked at your heart to attempt to do something new rather than the taste of it. There are so many men who are completely insensitive to the delicious dishes their spouses make (me included). My wife always looks at me when I have lunch or dinner for the past 30 years hoping someday I would say that it tastes good. She is really very good in cooking and I am just insensitive to what she expects out of me. I am stupid enough to expect that if I enjoy the food, she would understand that it is tasty. Nowadays, I am learning to taste a bit before having lunch or dinner and tell her how well it tastes which brightens her day.

If any men is reading this, please note that "your spouses thought to prepare something good for you is much tastier than the food they prepare and learn to enjoy that more than the quality of the food itself. If your wife is a good cook, don't take her for granted and make her feel happy by saying how well you enjoy eating her preparations. Men, please wake up and understand that the mouth is not only for eating but also for praising the hands that cooked those dishes with love".

Viswa

6 people like this.
  9. BHAVNAM6

BHAVNAM6 Platinum IL'ite

Hello Vishwa,
    I am pleased that your wife must be happy to find the change you made to brighten her day.My husband is also not very generous about praising my cooking so I am hoping to show him your message to men might bring change in him

Bhavna

10. knot2share

knot2share Gold IL'ite

Hey Ambika!

How are you? I believe you and just read your post and what a coincidence isn't it! Gal, I have to meet you in Chennai. There must be something unsaid connecting the two of us! Take care and so good to see you again.