1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

tips to make kids learn mother tongue?

Discussion in 'Friends & Neighbours' started by anika987, Aug 5, 2013.

1. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

Is it possible?There r so many kids in america who speak their mother tongue fluently.Hats off to the parents:)how did u do it?

any tips?

2. Geetanjalikumar

Geetanjalikumar Gold IL'ite

I have noticed that the kids from other countries (like Russia or china) are able to speak their language. I asked few of my colleagues as how their children are so fluent able to speak in their mother tongue. They told me that they strictly speak to their kids in their mother tongue at home.
    Most of the Indian parents speak to their kids in English maybe that's the reason Indian kids can not speak in their mother tongue.

Start speaking with your kid in your mother tongue. You might want to spend sometime teaching them to write in your mother tongue.

1 person likes this.
  3. abhapm

abhapm Bronze IL'ite

I am actually surprised to read this..tips to help your own children .to learn mother tongue......?!!!! have always been ..irked when some parents complain or try to show off that their kids know only english.....it all depends on the parents..kids learn the language they are spoken to....yes the parents are to blame if the kid does not speak theif mother tongue...just talk to them and they will learn..as for other languages ..they will pick up that too from their friends....or neighbours....or school...but one good thing is atleast you want to teach your child your mother tongue...unlike many who just dont want to at all....happy teaching...

1 person likes this.
  4. Mahajanpragati

Mahajanpragati Platinum IL'ite

as expat mom I have made sure my kids speak Hindi though its neither mine nor my hubby's mother tongue but its universally spoken in India..................when I was working as teacher in India we used to have many NRI kids coming from Canada & Australia who spoke fluent Indian native language .....so its upto the parents to help kids learn the native language.

5. RADIODOC679

RADIODOC679 Gold IL'ite

My mom &dad inlaw had a trick-whenever my hubby & his bro would speak in any other language other than mother tongue they would simply not answer/pretend to be deaf-this way arleast at home they spoke the native language

2 people like this.
  6. vidukarth

vidukarth Platinum IL'ite

i have a 4.5 year old and she speaks our language fluently and also english. At home she speaks in our native language only.

I hope this may not change once she goes to kindergarden. She has been going to preschool for the last 2 years and has not changed though/

1 person likes this.
  7. vidu24

vidu24 Silver IL'ite

The language we speak with kids and at home will only make the kids learn Try to make it a point to speak in mother tongue with kids so they can learn fast.