1. Handy Kitchen Tips that You cannot Miss : Solutions for all your Problems
    Dismiss Notice

Tips to have your plants healthy

Discussion in 'Gardening' started by PushpavalliSrinivasan, Jun 14, 2015.

1. PushpavalliSrinivasan

PushpavalliSrinivasan IL Hall of Fame

Keep discarding dried twigs and leaves which have withered and turned yellow and also too old in flower plants and also vegetable plants. Fresh leaves and buds will start coming specially in jasmine and nithyamallikai plants.

Groundnut oil cake is a good manure for the plants. It will be available in shops which sell fodder for animals. You soak it in water the previous evening and next morning you can put it to the plants. Just remove the top soil near the root and then add a big table spoon of the soaked groundnut cake.l

We also make manure at home by using vegetable and fruit peels, used Coffee and tea powder and even left over cooked food. We collect them in a plastic container. We add a little soil in between the layers and cow dung also can be used. In
    thirty to Forty days it will become like silky dust. Earthworm also can be used if you can get it.

Happy gardening and better yield
    PS

3 people like this.

2. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

PS ma'am,
    Great gardening tips! My grandmother used to always make us get the 'punnakku' for the plants, and she was very particular about applying it regularly. Composting is a nice way to recycle the vegetable scraps.

3. jaden

jaden Gold IL'ite

Thanks for the tips,however can you give me a remedy for white powdery stuff which sticks to the plants

4. PushpavalliSrinivasan

Dear Malstrom,
    thanks for dropping in and glad to know that your grandmother also used punnakku as fertilizer. It is better to use organic ones instead of the chemical fertilizers.

PS

5. PushpavalliSrinivasan

Dear jaden,
    sorry for replying late. By Google searching I got these remedies for the white powder like fungus on the plants. There should be enough place between the plants so that there will be free air circulation and also light.

• Milk (1:9 ratio of milk to water)
      to one portion of plain milk nine portion of water should be added extra and should be sprayed.
    • Baking soda (2 tablespoons per gallon of water)
      Mixing 2 tablespoons of baking soda in one gallon of water and also one table spoon of liquid soap and it should be sprayed.
    • Neem Oil (4 teaspoons per gallon of water)

you can try anyone of these.

PS

1 person likes this.
  6. madhuprabha

madhuprabha Gold IL'ite

Hello PS mam,
    Those are wonderful tips. Esp the one about getting rid of white stuff from plants.
    Thanks. One of my indoor plants died due to this white stuff. Then I planted another succulent in the same pot and it also started having the same problem. So I sprayed warm water on the leaves. Keeping my fingers crossed.

7. murphybaby77

murphybaby77 Gold IL'ite

My Gardner too used to put punnakku to plants during my childhood days.wehad cow at home.he used too dig 3 ,4 pits fillet with cowdung and sand alternatively.
    We had a very big garden had call types of flowers and veggitables.coconuts trees etc.

but we succede only with two type of Mallika only .jaathi and regular raamabhanam.tried our level best for kundumalli addukkumalli.
    plant will grow well .no flower.
    at last tried goat dung.at last it flowered.
    now we have flats .has to satisfy with balcony garden

poorni

2 people like this.
  8. springsnb

springsnb Gold IL'ite

Mam @pushpavallisrinivasan

can you share some remedies to control small green and black aphids with kitchen items

Attached Files:

9. Sundaramambika

Sundaramambika Bronze IL'ite

Hi,
    Useful information.
    Thanks.

10. Stardust1990

Stardust1990 Senior IL'ite

Thank you for posting this op. Almost every plant I got is dead. Even the so called fool proof ones.