1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Tips to handle naughty child

Discussion in 'Schoolgoers & Teens' started by Jannane, Feb 18, 2012.

1. Jannane

Jannane Junior IL'ite

Hi,
    My daughter is 3 years going to play school.....She is very naughty.....The thing u say "no" is the one completed by her first.....even in schools also she is not sharing toys with any other kids.....not listening to teachers.....nothing.....finally there comes fighting with her friends & as a mother we have to listen the complaint of other parents also...:bonkI am really worried of my daughter....She accepts her mistake but she again repeats the same thing......Any mother faced such a problem....can any one suggest how to handle my naughty child...:drowning

Regards,
    Jannane

2. Aachy

Aachy New IL'ite

I have not faced such problems,but you can do one thing.You can promise her small gifts if she behaves properly.Get her small gifts every week.Else give such gifts to some other kids infront of her.Once you try this,she will definitely try to be in ur good list...

1 person likes this.
  3. kishoremommy

kishoremommy Platinum IL'ite

Yes.Giving gifts is a good idea.

Naughty kids are creative and when they become adults they will change into a more matured and responsible person.

Now,you should treat her with a positive approach.Lets wait for other Ilite's replies.

1 person likes this.
  4. teacher

teacher Platinum IL'ite

First look for a pattern...what are the different circumstances where she doesn't follow directions. Then see what you can do to set the boundaries...
    Start by anticipating...if you know that certain situations are going to be difficult, explain you expectations to her. Eg, 'When we go to the store, I want you to keep your hands to yourself (only an example...not to imply that this is what she does).' Go over your expectations every time...don't assume that she will know what to do after the first few opportunities. She is only 3 after all.

Next explain what the consequences are, if she doesn't follow directions. This will prepare her before the event. Once you give a consequence don't back out. For that reason make sure the consequences are reasonable and that you will be able to follow thru if the need arises. Eg, if you say 'we'll come back home if you cry for sweets' then you should be prepared to come back. And when you do, be very calm...you may be incovenienced or short of time but that is a small price to pay for teaching your child that there are consequences (WITHOUT feeling guilty after yelling, child crying etc).

Be consistent...the entire family should follow the same system. Try your best not to get into a power struggle. You are already the authority figure...if she cries or throws a tantrum, just hold her and let her cry it out. But stick to your guns without raising your voice.

If you do reward her, make sure you do it systematically and not for everything. It should be only to teach her how to follow directions. Else it will become an entirely different situation altogether. As for rewards and punishments, dont use food as one...in fact no biological function should be used as one. (not that you do but just to throw it out as a reminder for all of us)

Plus she is only 3. It is like you've got a clean slate...what you write on it now will have to stay. Most children go through this stage and they learn well:)

1 person likes this.
  5. Viswamitra

Viswamitra IL Hall of Fame

She appears to be very independent ready to explore things of her own without taking instructions. Many times, I feel those children would learn from their mistakes on their own quickly and become very creative in the future. There is nothing in her behavior, in my opinion, should cause worries to you. If you like to do something about it, please ask her a lot of questions and make her lead to an answer that what she was doing is incorrect. This type of children learn more when they come to their own conclusion. If she is the only child, when you are feeding her, pretend as though you are feeding her toys as well. Play a game with her and tell her to say "Yes" or "No" and when she says "No' you don't do a particular thing and when she says "yes" do it. That would help to understand the pattern that she needs to follow. In her favorite room, hang a calendar and stick a smiley face every day she comes with no complaints from the school. You both count it every week and at the end of the week, if she has more smiley faces, take her out and do her favorite activity.

Viswa

1 person likes this.
  6. pujara

pujara New IL'ite

hi
    wll i thing u have to explain the whole point why it is wrong or correct ask her why she is doing what is her answer once u know her answer you are able to solve her problem she is small so once u understand her way of thinging after u will able to do what u want to do never give gift or something else explain in nice way more then 50 times stick with the same thing same sentance so might she understand and she obey yout thingking i thing try for month and see the result one more thing is their if u try this and like then i will tell u
    if u doesn't like anything please ingnor it please

7. SSNmom

SSNmom Bronze IL'ite

Dear All,

Thanks for all such beautiful points. Even my daughter is of the same kind of Jannane's. She is 3.5 years old. She asks me lots and lots of (i should say loads of) questions for each and every point. Mainly when is out either in market or any shops she trys to agther attention and never allow me to shop for things. Moreover while watching TV, we say her time is over for cartoons and our time to watch a movie or serial, then starts her irritation. she will start diverting our attention from TV and actually starts nagging.

I too tell her softly and firmly that if she starts crying she will not get anything and only when she is asking politely i will give her. In school, teacher said she is talkative and they make her sit near them.

Main problem for me is when i start scolding or allow her to cry my MIL will pitch in to take her side, which makes her whatever she do she will be safe with her grandma :(

8. nutty_witty

nutty_witty Senior IL'ite

Hi All,

I also have the same problem. My daughter is 4yrs and very naughty, now a days becoming adamant also. she is not listening anything, whatever she says, should be done and that too the next moment. If i say please listen to me, imm she asks "why should i listen to u?" really i don't know how to handle situations like this. i tried scolding, sometimes raising hands also. but nothing works out. Yesterday i told her like we will place one chart in ur room writing all the good and bad things u r doing in that particular week. Depends on that, weekend we will take u out or not.

But she cried saying , i dont wnt that chart and i behave as good girl. i know she wont. If i implement that, by any chance it will affect her in wrong way like she gets depressed or something. Please advice.

P.S. I have 10 months kid also. she is soo attached to her brother and no sibling rival.

thanks.

9. pumpkin01

pumpkin01 Platinum IL'ite

Hi Girls, my nephew is also getting naughty these days, here a program comes for children called Super Nanny I asked my sister to watch that program on you tube and she has implemented few things and it seems to be working. My advice to you all will be same hope it works for you all also.

You can search Super Nanny or Super Nanny 911 on you tube. Best of luck :)

10. pujara

pujara New IL'ite

ssnmom
    hi dear how r u? have u try ? that thing which i have told u tust me it is worhfull
    anyway tc enjoy have fun