1. Handy Kitchen Tips that You cannot Miss : Solutions for all your Problems
    Dismiss Notice

Tips plssss...

Discussion in 'Spotless Kitchen' started by rachaputi, Mar 27, 2013.

1. goldfish99

goldfish99 Silver IL'ite

Tips for cleaning white bathrooms in hard water areas

Homemade (Safe and Natural) Hard Water Cleaners
    Water is "hard" when it contains minerals such as calcium carbonate. The minerals not only stain walls and faucets, they increase the amount of soap and shampoo scum that adheres on shower walls.

Distilled white vinegar or lemon juice are not just safe but they are super effective ways to remove hard water stains. The key is the acid in the cleaners—even safe mild vinegar breaks down the calcium mineral deposits allowing them to easily rinse away.

Vinegar Cleaning Spray
    • Mix 2 cups vinegar
    • 1 cup warm water
    • 1 tsp. dishwashing liquid and pour into a spray bottle.
    Just applying the spray cleaner won’t remove the hard water stains. The key is good ole' elbow grease.

1. Spray or sponge the mixture onto the stains.
    2. Allow the cleaner to sit for 15-30 minutes.
    3. Scrub with a green scrubby side of a sponge or a scrub brush.
    4. Rinse and repeat if necessary.
    5. Wipe the surface dry.
    Vinegar Scrubbing Paste
    If the vinegar spray alone doesn't work, add borax to make a heavy duty scrubbing paste.

Vinegar and borax are excellent cleaners. Borax is a mineral powder and is strong enough to help cut through the stain.

To make your own cleaning paste, mix:

• 1 cup white vinegar (you can use lemon juice)
    • 3/4 cup borax
    Optional:

• 1 Tbsp. dishwashing liquid (like Dawn)
    The paste should be thick enough it doesn't run down the side of the tub, shower, sink, etc.

1. Apply the cleaner on the hard water stain and let it sit for 15 minutes or so.
    2. Using the green scrubby side of a wet sponge, give it a good scrubbing.
    3. If the green scrubby isn't working hard enough for you, try using a pumice stone (listed below).
    Pumice Stone
    When the stain is tough enough, a pumice stone is one of the first things I turn to. Make sure to keep the pumice stone and the surface wet when cleaning so you don't scratch the surface area. I would not use the pumice stone on colored tiles.

1. Wet the stone with water.
    2. Scrub at the stain gently.
    3. Keep a light but consistent pressure until the hard water stain is gone.
    Preventing Future Hard Water Stains
    There are a few things you can do to prevent hard water build up from getting out of hand.

• Cleaning hard water stains when they are still “fresh” requires less effort.
    • Keep a towel handy for wiping down the shower and sink after each use and have everyone chip in.
    • Squeegee the shower walls and doors after each use, this will help to prevent soap scum, mildew, and hard water stains from developing.
    • Another option is to purchase a water softener for your home; it's a good investment that will last many years.

2. ManaliSharma

ManaliSharma New IL'ite

I would really like to share a tip with you which was quite helpful & effective for me. Initially it used to be very difficult for me to keep the tiles of my kitchen and bathroom clean. After trying almost every product available in the market and a number of home-made solutions I couldn’t manage to keep my tiles clean. As they weren't able to get rid of those stubborn yellowish stain on my tiles. No matter how hard I tried scrubbing them, it would just lead to discoloration of my tiles. My mother-in-law suggested me to use Roff Cera Clean as she had been using it for quite some time and her tiles still look new. Honestly I wasn't expecting it to work but I was quite surprised looking at my spotless tiles. The cleaning agent not only got rid of those spots but also did not cause any harm to the tile. You could try this product.

rachaputi likes this.
  3. daysnfestivals

daysnfestivals New IL'ite