1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Tips on making my baby crawl

Discussion in 'Infants' started by curiousgal, Jul 10, 2010.

1. curiousgal

curiousgal Bronze IL'ite

My son is 8 months old. He rolls over from one place to the other and gets what he wants, but he hasnt started crawling yet.
    Of late, when sitting he has started rocking himself back and forth by stretching his arms in front on the floor and lifting his butt up as if he wants to go down on his fours, but nothing yet.

Is there anything I can do to make him crawl?

I do put him on his tummy and spread out toys, but he only rolls over to get whatever toy he wants.

Also, do girls start crawling earlier than boys do?

2. Arunadhri

Arunadhri Bronze IL'ite

Why should it crawl at all? Agreed that it looks cute. Not every child crawls before walking. There is no such requirement physiologically. My children never crawled. They use to scoot along sitting. Look at this video:
    YouTube - Baby Development: Crawling | BabyCenter Video

Teaching Baby to Crawl Is Easy With These 2 Techniques
    Baby Crawling: Great Toys & Tips For Getting Results
    Developmental milestones: Crawling | BabyCenter

Whatever the child does just behave like one yourself. Both will have a ball.

Arunadhri

3. loonypooh

loonypooh Silver IL'ite

curiousgal, every baby reaches milestones at his/her own pace....i do not believe u have to "teach" ur LO to crawl....without you knowing one day ur LO might just cruise who knows?
    "rocking back and forth" is a sign that in few days/wks he would start to crawl.
    my daughter did that at 7 months. at 7.5 she started crawling backwards and at nearing 8 months she crawled at full speed....:)

4. curiousgal

curiousgal Bronze IL'ite

Arunadhri:

you literally reprimanded me as if I were asking a grossly incorrect question.
    I was just curious to see if there is anything that I could do to help him crawl.

Pooh:

Yeah...I agree with that...my mom too says the same thing...that they will automatically start reaching their milestones when they are physically ready for that stage......so it's not an issue.....considering that I dont have anybody here in the US to watch over what I do with the baby and guide me, I was just curious....that's all.
    If in India, I would have had 100s of people telling me what is good/bad for my baby....now I have to totally rely on the internet :)

Btw, am just curious to know, are you a stay at home mom or a working woman? I've seen your delicious recipes for your LO and also made note of them so that I could try the same as well. I'm really impressed with what you are doing for your DD girl!