1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Tips needed to handle this problem

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by amnilakshmi, May 24, 2013.

1. amnilakshmi

amnilakshmi Gold IL'ite

Hi all,

Recently my brother in law asked be to give him 2 lakhs as he was in finanicial crisis. He was constructing a new house and he wanted money. I paid him within a day's time. His brother ie my husband and this guy go in well. Myself and my husband had a lot of issues for which his parents were pulled in to resolve. Inspite of all this i paid him 2 lakhs. Now he has his house swarming ceremony and he didnt have the courtesy to inform me. He has however, invited my hubby. Is my expectation genuine? I wanted him to at least call up and invite me too...
    Should i go to his house ? how shall i handle this as that he feels for what he has done without cutting his relationship ? Please advice

2. me4raj

me4raj Silver IL'ite

It is a practice among some communities that they invite the head of the family (father/husband) and leave it at that:rant. This practise needs to change as women are becoming more and more independent and we expect to be given the respect we deserve:thumbsup. I think there is nothig wrong in expecting it. But I also think you can forgive him if you can.

What I have learnt in all my interactions with my inlaws (mil, fil, bil, sil, gmil, co-sister and sil's hubby I have them all and they are all evil at some level):hide:, is that there is no point feeling bad and sulking about it. Call him and let him know that you are not happy that you were not invited personally, but still you are forgiving him and will attend the function:hatsoff. put it subtly but express it. And make sure you dont mention the money part during this conversation. Inlaws are very sensitive about money talk.:my2cents Hope I was of help

3. RadiantFlower

RadiantFlower Platinum IL'ite

Dear OP,

:confused2:You mentioned that your BIL extended an invitation to your hubby - why would you expect a separate invitation just for you?:idontgetit:

4. ShilpaMa

ShilpaMa IL Hall of Fame

I presume...
    Your BIL goes to ur H, ur H was aware that u have 2L in cash... now maybe ur H din't want to fall in between u and BIL or influence ur decision (maybe your personal differences)... hence told his brother to directly ask from you. . BIL was in need and got it .. his work done, he's happy.....

For house warming...
    BIL goes to brother.... and says do I need to invite her separately... ur H says.. no this is a function and we're a family... when she's given 2L to you without my influence... I assume she wont mind coming along with me.

His work done.. he's happy..........

Now just becos u gave him 2L his relation and proximity doesn't change for you... he'll still be communicating via his brother and its a valid scenario to avoid future mess. Maybe becos of your marital differences ur assuming that 2 of you are separate entities .. however for your BIL, he might not be thinking same........

3 people like this.
  5. MaritalBliss

MaritalBliss Platinum IL'ite

Usually my in laws only invite my hubby and its expected that the invite is for the whole family. I'm cool with that. Do u expect special treatment since you helped him financially?

Though when it comes to my sil, even tho she is staying with mil..I have to invite her separately, else she won't turn up..I'm cool with her not turning up..but well..I'll just invite her separately..don't want to sweat the small stuff.

2 people like this.
  6. amnilakshmi

amnilakshmi Gold IL'ite

Thank you for all your responses... I guess i was expecting a bit too much. As Shiplama suggested i felt i should be given separate invitation for every function. Think i am wrong....

3 people like this.