1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Tips / Ideas for First Time Schoolgoers

Discussion in 'Schoolgoers & Teens' started by arthidiva, Jun 4, 2010.

1. Jananikrithsan

Jananikrithsan Gold IL'ite

Peeping in to give you ideas, Arthi!!
    My older DD did take time to settle in , she did go to playschool a little early before she was 2 so school going became less of a hassle. It took her time to adjsut when she went to the the school she is in now. She is in Class 6! Breakfast for her is just milk she will bring the roof down if I feed her anything else, she says it does not sit well with her, but I send tiffin/ lunch antyhing from noodles, pasta, rice, idli, dosa, chapathi!! School gets over by 2 p.m and she is back at home eats a bit of rice and then has dinner at 8 p.m.
    My younger DD took a hell a lot of time to settle at playschool and then she has settled well in school now, Class 1, because Akka goes along then it is easier. I feed her idli, dosa, oats, or whatever I make in the mroning and she has no issues. A lil glass of milk with the tiffin, sometimes that becomes heavy so I cut it out! They leave home at 7.15 a.m!!
    Give your boy time to settle down and though we have our nervous moments don't let it show, for my kids the school slowly increases the working hours so it hepled them immensely!
    Too long a post! Sorry about that!! All the best to you and the kiddo too! Hope my post helps a little!

Last edited: Jun 8, 2010
  2. Aadhusmom

Aadhusmom Gold IL'ite

Krithi - if the steroids helped earlier then I would really try them again (along with the nasal one too) ; inhaled/nasal steroids dont really affect growth much so dont worry about it. As for the "healthy" look I know what you mean - the kids I was talking about eariler look so well and happy now its like they have become different people!

AD/Pon/Krithi - i didnt mean to sound criticial of scheduling; I'm a big planner/scheduler myself usually; this is the first time I'm completely unplanned like this and somewhere inside a little voice is telling me that I need to wake up a bit :)

V.

3. Nilu78

Nilu78 New IL'ite

Hello everyone,

I have same problem like how to know that my child is happy in school.

He is 2.8 years now and his school has started on 29th may. He was so excited about school. From last one month he used to ask everyday that when i will go to school.

But on second day of school they did not allow me to go inside and pulled him from me. He cried a lot for two days. It was continuous 2 hour non stop(it was most amongst all).

After another two days now morning only he is not ready to go school.

So I am worried that are they taking care of him properly? Is there something wrong inside? Even he is not eating anything at school. Not even water.

Please share your experience regarding this. Is this common for all preschoolers?

Thanks
    Nilu

4. arthidiva

arthidiva Silver IL'ite

hey Tikka, hugs to you for handling this all alone.. so r u going to Pead? how was his day at school today? is he liking the place, teachers and new friends?

Supriya, thanks for joning here.. yes getting these LOs will be a big task.. I am mentally preparing myself for that.

Janani, thats some clear info from experienced mommy.. thanks for pitching in with ideas. not showin our nervous moments to kid is something very very sensible to do.. yes DS's school work hours will inc slowly.. so in 2 or 3 weeks they will be there for 3 hours at a strech starting with 30 mins on the first day.. do let us know if there is anymore you think of.. it means a lot.. as I get more info, it is making me nervous yet better prepared.

V, hey you are a good planner we know.. I am not at all one and want to be that when it comes to P..

Nilu, dont worry.. he will settle down in a few days.. is this his first school? or has he been to any smaller school before this? if this is his first school, this is very very natural for a kid to cry and not go to school.. yes it is common!why dont you try and ask some teacher/ admin / mgmt there to let you peep thru the window without DS knowing so you can understand the environment and prepare him mentally when you are at home.. yes you as a mom need to know whats going on inside the school.. but tell them you need to give him a positive feeling abt his class for which you have to take a peek into his class while he is there. some schools allow this.. try your luck.

5. tikka

tikka Gold IL'ite

AD, thank you so much. Your hugs mean a lot right now.
    Day 3: he went inside and rolled out his mat, went along with every thing the teacher said for close to 30 min and the min I try to go to an unobtrusive corner, the meltdowns starts.
    The school is accommodating us because of K's touching issues. But I think it is unfair on other parents and I want to come out. He hanged on to the grill and cried for a good 30 min after that :).
    about breakfast, we did something different today and ended up being ready a good 30 min before time. I had some fruits cut and mixed with milk and refrigerated. Some freshly prepared toast and that disappeared in 30 min. But apparently, this is not enough to stop the meltdown. :-D

6. Vishalini3

Vishalini3 Silver IL'ite

Tikka, Have been thinking about you today, on how his Day 3 been, and here you are posting :))) Hugs to the mommy :)) I hear you, tell me about touch issues, and yeah being unfair to other parents :) Even i did that, I told her firmly that AM GOING to go out and I went out, in her first school. Offcourse there were meltdowns, but she did well quite sometime later. I had to come out and cry in the rest room too :)))) If the teacher handles him well, talks to him, somehow if he/she becomes your son's favourite, then there is no looking back :) Hope the teacher does some magic haan??:thumbsup

Last edited: Jun 9, 2010
  7. Mythily

Mythily Senior IL'ite

Hi Ladies,
    Nice thread at a right time.I'm also in the same boat....but DD's school(Pre KG) will be starting at the end of June.As of now,she is quite excited on going to school...lets see what happens...till then i'll silently watch all your tips and tricks...:bowdown

All of you have given nice ideas...

8. Aadhusmom

Aadhusmom Gold IL'ite

Krithi - hopefully things will get much better everyday.

As for us DS started today and it was cool because it was only an hour and all the parents were there. he let me spend a good half of that time outside and out of his sight and managed to make friends with the teachers.Tomorrow is an hour without parents - I think he wont do too badly, lets see...

V.

9. arthidiva

arthidiva Silver IL'ite

V, good for Aadhu for taking it easily..

Mythi, keep watching this space! (just felt like sayign this dialogue hahhaaha... so which school is your DD going to? has she been to a playschool before?

Tikka, more hugs. you know what.. dont feel bad (ahh you know better but still let me say it) abt this.. P had same issues (crying holding the grill as if I was not going to come back) when he went to school the first time.. though this is not K's first time, he hasnt been there for quite a long time and has seen only you (his all time saver) all the while away from school.. and the age doesnt matter.. going to school first time is the matter.. be it at 1+ , 2+ or 3+, it is all the same experience for the child.. so in 10 days - 2 weeks he will be alright. In a months time, he will let you go home and look for you to come back only for pickup. meanwhile, you know you culd try this (you might already be doing this), at home when you both are playing in the venings or while he is bed relaxed, talk to him abt school and how mommy will drop K there and go to the nearby shop to get something for his favourite plants / garden back home and come back to pick up mommy.. you could even pretend play that he drops you in school (stay in one room, while he roams arnd the house), goes to his school (the next room), you looking for K - waiting for him to pick you up (say aloud), 'OH will K come to pick me up?, K pls come soon..' then K really comes on his bike (brrrrr... from his school), you get excited 'yay K has come to pick me, we are going home now.' get on his bike and go home :)) am sure K will be all smiles when you get excited.. Play this game for 3 or 4 days, he will understand the point. Keep reassuring him that you are going to come back. hopefully by the time this works out, he himself will say 'oh mommy, I got it.'

Adding - Tikka, just read elsewhere that K did better today.. YAY!

10. Nilu78

Nilu78 New IL'ite

Thanks arthidiva for your valuable suggestion. Ya this is his first school. I asked them for the same but they are not allowing me to be there.

Thanks again,
    Nilu