1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Tips / Ideas for First Time Schoolgoers

Discussion in 'Schoolgoers & Teens' started by arthidiva, Jun 4, 2010.

1. arthidiva

arthidiva Silver IL'ite

also what breakfast is ideal for school going children.. for two reason -

1. they should not take too long to finish it.
    2. it should fill their tummy.

P has idli's or Oats porridge, corn flakes, break toast.. I am planning to juggle between the first three.. bread doesnt keep his tummy filled for longer.

2. Aadhusmom

Aadhusmom Gold IL'ite

You guys are making me nervous - I havent done anything that could be called preparation - other than DS knowing that he will be going to a new school and that he will have new friends. When he first started playschool last year I planned so much and worried so much and most of it was completely unnecassary as it turned out. This time I've become far too cool; we havent even got his morning waking-up at a decent time! I'm just hoping it goes well - cross my fingers and touch wood too... Good luck to all your kids too!

V.

3. Aadhusmom

Aadhusmom Gold IL'ite

Forgot to add - the breakfast question - right now we alternate scrambled eggs with cornflakes. he can eat the eggs by himself but not the cereal 9atleast not more than a couple of spoons) and I have to feed him. I'm not planning on chnagin that for another month or two - let him get settled into school first and then we'll work on the eating.

V.

4. tikka

tikka Gold IL'ite

DS melted down hugely, hugely at school. Enough for the entire neighbourhood to hear :rotflI am trying to pretend like it is no big deal, he can cry but will get to like, etc. He woke up with huge wheezing out of nowhere - stress/allergies? This morning was quite bad.
    V, K's wheezing is peaking this time of the year - his first episode of eczema was also around then. Just wondering if it is pollen and if Nagapazham (what is it in English) is a known allergen. There is a huge tree in DH's cousin's house next door that is in full bloom AND there has been so much breeze. Also wondering if there will be a way to rule out this pollen allergy with a test. Our paed said something about managing pollen allergies with nasal steroids, we should talk to her about it. I will feel a lot more confident about sending him to school if he were not to fall ill that badly like he did last time.
    Breakfast is stock continental ;-) boiled eggs/scrambled/fried eggs, bread/dosai and fruits. He can eat two out of three by himself and usually polishes off in 15 min by himself. Wondering now if it is the wheezing that is killing his appetite again. I have also started spoon feeding, maybe there is some comfort in that as opposed to rushing through food and getting upset because of that.
    We used to do upma and pongal too, because making chutney in the morning is such a chore when it is to be done by 7 am.
    V, it helps me to have a good schedule for K because I can easily see he gets peevish when he is had a bad night. One thing to rule about his fussiness about settling in.

5. Aadhusmom

Aadhusmom Gold IL'ite

I havent heard specifically of allergies to nagapazham but I should think it is possible to have allergies to any kind of organic matter. If its allergic rhinitis which is triggering the wheezing I've had excellent results with nasal steroids (Fluticasone seems to work best) combined with inhaled steroids/salmeterol (Seroflo) and daily oral cetrizine/monteleukast. i know it sounds like a lot of medication to give at once but this combination for about 3 months (till wheezing is completely contolled) followed by slow tapering is currently helping 2 of my severe wheezers and I really support it. Do talk to your pedi if you think it will help K.

V.

6. Vishalini3

Vishalini3 Silver IL'ite

Arthi, Cloths, yep, we do get that ready the day before itself. We make a train, i take 2 dresses, she makes inky pinky ponky, chooses one, i have a tray, i keep her dresses, inners, accessories (DD is damn particular about it at times bahhh), comb, bindi, handkerchief all at one place.
    Following this, we do pack the bags too, we pack a spare dress (if the school had asked one), hand towel, water bottle washed and filled, snack box (we pack all dry types, cornflakes/biscuits/cookies/kadalai urundai/ with raisins and dates), school diary(if that has to be sent), teacher's note (if i have anything for the teacher). Next day morning, I got to pack lunch too, henceforth. From tomo, we are practising this school game, so I got to pack lunch too by 8.30am and she is going to eat it from the box tomo noon, as she does in school.

K, hugs both to the mommy and the child. Is he missing his appa? He would get used up :) He stayed there for 1hr?

7. arthidiva

arthidiva Silver IL'ite

hey Tikka.. hugs hugs and hugs to you n lil K. so this tree is near your house?? how bad that this should happen just when he is happily all set to school.. there are lot of chances of pollen allergy this time of the year with weather changing from peak summer to cloudy/ windy days.. remember P too had severe conjestion just last year the same time when he was watering our plants everyday.. then I realised pollen allergy could be the cause and stopped him from going near those plants and he became alright slowly.. only after that we start him on monteleukast. we have still not stopped that course.. actually we were going to stop it in end of march but his pead said there is a huge rise in the wheezing cases in the city due to early peak summer so he asked us to cont till june.. but then I dont want to stop in june too because he is starting school and with new environment, he might fall sick.. I and DS can handle sickness like fever, cold but not sever conjestion/ wheezing episodes.. so montek is still DS's daily thing.. maybe as V says, you might want to consider the set of medicines for a course..

8. arthidiva

arthidiva Silver IL'ite

K, BTW has your DH left abroad? is lil K missing his papa? do you have anyone else at home to help you for a while?

V, schedules/ routines is new to me too.. like I said I still do not have a fixed wake up time for P.. I have to work on it. I am looking at a routine only because next whole week I am not going to be around P during the day and DH may be taking care of him.. so if we let him sleep till 8:30 am till next wednesday and suddenly wake him up at 7am, he is going to sooo not cooperate.. from this thursday I have to wake him up at 7am.. oh for that he has to go to bed by 10pm sharp..

Pon, your prev day preparation is sooo well planned. I forgot abt handkerchief.. so is it a small school bag + a kudai (for snack n water bottle)?? I am noting it down in a paper and trying to see if I can do the same preparation the prev day itself... oh god, why is there only 24hrs a day!!

9. tikka

tikka Gold IL'ite

V, I see under eye allergic shiners return after 6 months. Though I dont see runny nose, I see it is crusted over under his nose in the mornings - which is what is making me wonder if he does not have hay-fever kind of symptoms. The meds are very comparable to what our paed also did last year with him, the nasal steroid being the new element that she wanted to wait on because she wanted to be sure it is starting from his upper resp tract and not a viral trigger. We took it very easy given how well K responded off maintenance/steroids inhaler. I saw a different child when he was well and I cant believe how much he has grown the last year (steroids or not) - he's now taller than even the older kids from his former school.
    Today was a bad day, I got my menstrual cramps and dizzy spells just as K was settling. I am kicking myself for not getting my meds along with me. I was profusely sweating and had to take a break but the little Klingon wont let go off me. Bad scene. A couple of moms had to come and fetch me something to drink :bonkYes, he is missing his father a lot and does not want me out of his sight. I think I will have to go earlier than we do - beat traffic too - let him play a bit before he goes to school.

10. SupriyaDinesh

SupriyaDinesh Silver IL'ite

priyash is starting ukg .uniform,books,school bag,lunch box and bag,pencil box everything is ready.getting him ready in time is going to be a great task.he likes puri and chapathi.takes minimum 30 minutes to finish,little bit of bournvita.