1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Tips / Ideas for First Time Schoolgoers

Discussion in 'Schoolgoers & Teens' started by arthidiva, Jun 4, 2010.

1. arthidiva

arthidiva Silver IL'ite

Hi mommies,

My DS (3.2 yrs old) has been going to playschool for more than a year.. this year June 2010 he is going to a bigger school (class KG1).

Could anyone (mommies with already school going children) give me and others like me, ideas and tips how to follow and understand if the child is comfortable in the new school, if anything is bothering him, how to help him get comfortable with the new environment, hows his day in school, how to keep track of his learnings, activities in school, how to follow teachers instructions, should we keep in touch with teachers on a regular basis apart form the regular parents meet, how much to get involved so it doesnt look like too much pondering into his school and learnings, etc.

I am asking this not for the initial days alone, I want to be prepared for his future school days too.. as to how to help him learn as much as HE wants and have fun too, overall development in the long run. how much involvment from the parent is 'enough'? I have some close family friends / members who have gone crazy over their child's education.. I want me and DS to take studies seriously but also keep cool at the same time.. we should know the limits.. do pitch in with your views and ideas.

Thanks.

2. zingy

zingy Local Champion Staff Member Platinum IL'ite

arthidiva ,

Right topic @ Right time of the year :).

I recently attended a training program " Train the Trainer" in our company.
    Our mentor had shared a tip which I liked very much.She was emphasising on the importance of teaching others for the self learning. She has a 4 year old .She used to ask him teach her what he learned in the school for that day rather than asking what happened in the school,what they taught etc. Kid used to get super excited and with his mini board N chalk teach her his lessons inturn learning himself with his mom asking clarification and correcting him. He used to be behind her for this session even she herself is occupied with something else

Last edited: Jun 4, 2010
    1 person likes this.
  3. arthidiva

arthidiva Silver IL'ite

hey Zingy, thanks for the quick fb.. thats a good idea. yes, as kids, me and my friends used to like this method.. but completly forgot abt it. thanks for reminding.. I am sure DS will boss over me a little too much if I were to learn something from him :)) it will be fun.

lets see what others come up with.. mommies, do give us tiny bits of ideas too.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2010
  4. Vishalini3

Vishalini3 Silver IL'ite

Arthi, I am a person who would like to keep a close watch with school things. These are the things that I did last year and intend to do in future too.

PTA meet: I would enquire in the school, if I can callup weekly once, to talk to the teacher directly, on how the kid does in the school. The call wont go beyond 5mins, and fix up a time well ahead. Say every Friday noon, evening, whichever the teacher is ok with. This way I can hear things from the teacher's point of view too. This helped a lot for me, coz after V, i wasnt going to her school regularly for pickup/drops, so calling up was the only way to get in touch with the teacher. PTA meets happen once in a term. Thrice in a yr. During those calls, I always Thank the teacher whole heartedly, and ask her what more I can do at home, that would help my child.

Spending time with the kid, 1-1 times, say 1hr everyday atleast, would automatically bring out things :) I talk about everything else under the sun, slowly get into school related talks, and get to know things from DD. Otherwise, if i ask her, what did do you today, how was your day, teach me, etc, my DD wont answer, she would say, am busy coloring/paintin/reading now, we will talk about this later, and that 'later' would never happen :))

Other regular communication from school happens through their Messenger (diary), in which if I have any doubts, I call up school and ask - say XXX proj, am not clear on what has to be done exactly, etc.

Monthly twice/thrice atleast, visiting school is a good idea, my DD prefers that way, to get to know her friends. By the first month, I knew all her classmates :) That gives a nice feel, she narrates all her conversations,tiffs with her classmates :) Sometimes, if another KG kid happened to push her out of a slider, during free play, she wont tell me, later if i ask her pointing out the bruise, she would tell me, you dont know XXX amma, thats why i thought I need not tell you :))

If she is not interested in talking about school, not interested in doing the activities, i dont force her too. But I used to tell her stories how her dad studied well, everybody admired his knowledge, he has a career on his own, etc etc, same way, DH would tell her about her mom (lol), how learning helps us know things around us better, how much her mom was good at school, etc :))) We do this almost everyday :))

I know I have typed too much, Thanks for reading Arthi :))

5. arthidiva

arthidiva Silver IL'ite

Pon, dear thanks for the insight.. I know you will give detailed ideas.. helps dumbos like me to understand.. thats so nice of you to keep track so closely without giving her the idea.. good technique. I was scared abt pitching in too much into DS schoolwork that he will retort back.. but I see the limit now.. thanks for your fb Pon.

6. asha_karthik

asha_karthik Silver IL'ite

AD, am sure you knew i would be here too. you have lot of questions, like me :(

yes lot of plans made on how i want things to be handled. but not sure if all ll go as planned. like zingy said, best method that works well with dd is roleplay. initially she never used to come out. these days she either narrates everything that happened in school herself fully or she talks to the doll/wall that gets me to understand what they are upto. her teachers are approachable too. going to a bigger school, not sure if this ll continue. but i am planning to talk to her teachers once in a month to get to know of her progress... not planned ones so that whatever is in the top of the teacher's mind just comes out.

dd needs lot of talking/preparation to get her adjusted to changes. these days during our play time, she always starts from brushing her teeth till going to sleep.. inbetween getting her books packed, lunch box, going to school, listening to teachers etc etc.. all of it she pretend plays.. (i play double triple multiple actions - as her teacher, watchman, van driver, classmate, & mommy too). i hope she wouldn't feel out of place there.

and yes, like you said, i have no big expectations; just that i want dd to enjoy her time in school always. as she moves to her higher education later, her school should leave wonderful memories with her, like what i feel about my school days. sure P will do well ! my wishes !

7. Vishalini3

Vishalini3 Silver IL'ite

Arthi, where is the dumb head mommy? I cant find:rotfl Sure P is gonna love his mommy for all the efforts :)
    Asha, your idea is great, including everything in the roleplay :)) But DD all the time does the role of her mommy, nursing and babycare FULLTIME :( I am trying to do all funny games, to get her into school mood, but no, she wont! I am waiting for the school to re-open. This year, its the same school, but a new location, new teachers, new environment, but same classmates (big relief!). I still feel the butterflies.
    Arthi, Sorry if am going out of topic :)

8. tikka

tikka Gold IL'ite

Hey girls, joining you here. As all of you know, DS did not do too well in school the first time. We are hoping to set it right now. DS is well prepared, in the scheduel he needs to be to go to school etc.
    But off late I ahve noticed that his 20 minute breakfast session is getting to be longer and longer and today he finished his breakfast after much cajoling at 45 min. The school expects him to be well fed (for obvious reasons). How do you guys handle morning breakfast time.

9. Vishalini3

Vishalini3 Silver IL'ite

K, breakfast is still a battle for us, thats when DD's dear daddy steps in to spoon feed her :( Adding to it, through out our vacation, she was spoon-fed on and off, by her GPs:bonk Now she takes 1hr or 45mins to finish any meal! Dono how she is going to manage bfast at home and lunch at school:spin
    9.10am she has to leave home, I give her breakfast by 8am these days. Hope it works :)

10. arthidiva

arthidiva Silver IL'ite

hey Asha, I know you will come here :)) thanks for joining... the pretend play idea is a good one.. I have never tried it because I fear P bossing over me a lil too much :) hmmm I guess mommy me has to give in.

Tikka, thanks for joining.. good that K is in a routine now.. whats his school timing? P is still not into a routine (I didnt take efforts!).. only hope is his wake up time decides the rest of the morning chores.. so my first effort should be to get him out of bed by max 7am.. his school starts at 9am. so he gets out of home by 8:30am (with the given traffic conditions).

Pon, good that it is the same school for her.. atleast that worry is not there. playing mommies role haan? responsible S. you are not deviating at all.. we are talking everything abt LOs school going for first time so wait for me to come up with more wierd questions..

usually P gives me a jist of what happened in school.. he says if he did any mischief, who beat whom, who cried, teacher said what.. but I wont get every detail.. I as a child used to say every single thing to my stay at home mom every day without her asking.. I dont know if he will follow suit. yes teachers meet parents every month and I hope not to miss any meeting. Also at any time I can talk to the admin officer there to find any specific details abt P and his class.. abt breakfast, yes (I know you wont judge my efforts girls) I spoon feed him his breakfast because there is no leisure time to have it at his pace.. If he is hungry he will finish in 15 mins, else it take 30 mins.. but he will be hungry only aft 45 mins or 1 hour of getting up. so I should plan accordingly.. his dinner is the only time I let him have his plate and eat @ liesure.. but that too I will wait for 30 mins else I will take away the plate or feed him the rest of the food.. because my LO will not sleep peacfully if his tummy is not full.

Girls, whats your LOs wake up time??

one more.. do you have everything ready for their school.. like clothes, bags, etc.. I realise I do not have enough shorts for his shirts.. I have but some do not match, do you know of any place that will have diff coloured shorts?

Last edited: Jun 7, 2010