1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

tips for soft chapatis for toddler/best tawa

Discussion in 'Baby / Kids Foods' started by r431, May 13, 2014.

1. r431

r431 New IL'ite

Please moms share the recipe of soft chapati.And what is the best tawa to make in US?Where to get?

2. ammulur

ammulur Platinum IL'ite

Make the dough little early before 1 or 2 hr...!
    Add little cookng oil..!
    Use only warm or little hot water....!
    or if one like add little ripped banana while making dough.....!

Non stick tawa is best any make will do....!

Last edited: May 13, 2014
  3. priyamudanravi

priyamudanravi New IL'ite

You can add some curd(a tablespoon) while making dough with warm water. And the dough shouldnt be too hard. Make a soft dough cover it with wet cloth and put it in an airtight container for min 2 hrs.

1 person likes this.
  4. RedRuby

RedRuby Platinum IL'ite

I mix a bit of warm milk sometimes in the water to get a smoother dough. After kneating i leave it for 1 hour proximately, it shud be coverd (air tight is good) during that time and stay in warmer place (in western country i place dough in winter next to heater), before placing its smoothening with oil good (covering with bit of oil to prevent dryness). For bit change i put sometimes different spices in the dough (depending on what i serve with), for example, kalonji or kasoori methi. I experiment with flour types and mix them due to nutritient value (like whole weat with spelt or others i see in shop)

@priyamadduri adding curd was new for me, will try that

@ammulur: do you use the banana ones with curry or seperate like the rolled and then fried with sugar inside ones? I do that sometimes with the leftovers as a snack or dessert.

Last edited: May 13, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  5. Armaity25

Armaity25 Silver IL'ite

My great grandma added an over ripe banana while kneading dough for the chapati.This ensured it stayed soft and it can be had with regular sabzis coz it was not that sweet in fact it had a mildly sweet taste as she used more of wheat flour.Another thing my mom does is she adds a bit of spinach puree or carrot puree or beetroot puree or apple puree or grated veggies or chopped leafy veggies to it to make rotis soft plus nutritious.Also adding the water left from making paneer too makes rotis soft .Or as someone above said curds too helps or sometimes the cream from milk too can be used.

6. guesshoo

guesshoo IL Hall of Fame

I use a heavy nonstick flat crepe pan for rotis.

Take the wheat flour, add some oil to it and and rub it into the flour with your fingers quickly. You have added enough when you find that the flour sort of retains its shape when you grab a fist full of flour - it doesn't take much oil; I probably add about 3 tsp to make over a dozen 8" rotis.

Then add boiling water (not boiled and cooled; I pour the water while it is still boiling in the kettle) and mix quickly with a fork. Keep adding boiling water until you feel the dough is soft. Keep cutting and turning the dough over with the fork until it has cooled down enough for you to mix with your hands. With this technique, you needn't knead hard; just make sure that the dough is homogenous. While the dough is still warm, roll out very thin rotis and cook them on the tava. You might need to use lots of extra flour while rolling.

Make sure the tawa is hot to the point that water splattered on it skitters across rather than evaporate with a hiss. Keeping the heat constant, put the rolled roti. When the roti starts changing colour(count of 10 usually), turn it over. Leave it untouched till it bubbles up a little. Again turn it over (the other side will have very light brown spots. That's all) and gently press on top till the bubbles expand to make the entire roti fluff up. It is done when it has fluffed up like a puri. Don't add oil/ ghee to it till the time you are serving.

When I take it out of the pan, I transfer it immediately without folding it into a air tight plastic container and shut it. The steam makes the not-so-soft rotis soft too.

This roti is super quick and easy as it doesn't involved much kneading. Plus it is unbelievably soft. Ideal for an infant/ toddler

the rotis can be frozen and defrosted in the microwave - they still retain their softness. The only thing you can't do is store the dough itself. Somehow the rotis made with stored dough quite don't seem to come out as well.