1. Interested in Natural Skin Care Solutions?: Check Here
    Dismiss Notice

Tips for pear shaped women (slim upper body, heavy hips and thighs)

Discussion in 'Clothing & Apparels' started by Serenity_John, May 2, 2008.

1. Serenity_John

Serenity_John Bronze IL'ite

The key is still balancing the difference between the top and bottom part of your body. We can achieve this by drawing attention upward, de-emphasizing the bottom part of your body and elongating your legs.
    Drawing attention upwards:
    • Wear the best possible bra. Giving your bust line the shape and support it needs will define your waist and create curves in all the right places.
    • Strive to create an “A-line” silhouette with your clothing. You look exceptional in dresses and should take advantage of this ultra-feminine look all year round.
    • Always wear slim fitting tops, sweaters, cardigans and button down shirts. Choose styles that define your waist and show off your torso. Boxy trapeze jackets continue to be all the rage and you can absolutely wear them (despite the fact that this goes against the rules) if you keep them cropped, fitted snugly at the shoulders and matched with a longer and slim layer underneath.
    • Wear V-neck tops and create V-neck shapes with your layers. V-shapes elongate your neck and draw attention to your slim midsection giving definition where you want it.
    • Keep your shoulder line strong and refrain from wearing items with “a sloppy shoulder line”. It’s imperative that your clothing fits you properly on your shoulders because the eye is drawn to definition.
    • Select tops, knitwear, jackets and coats with interest. Tops with wide cuffs, bell sleeves, ruffles, embellishment, rushing, vertical seaming detail, large collar/lapels, wraps and princess lines are good choices. These design features naturally deflect the eye upwards. The voluminous sleeve trend was made for you.
    • The length of your tops should either catch you just below your hipbone or around the knee. Avoid lengths that finish straight over your bottom or straight across your thighs. You can sport the leggings look with the right A-line dress because this look is about the dress and not the leggings.
    • Layer your garments. Pop longer length camisoles underneath your knitted tops and shirts. They should finish just above your crotch point. Pop a fitted shorter jacket or sweater as a third layer over these layers for the most flattering effect. The layers automatically create a visual balance between the top and bottom half of your body.
    • Accessorize the top part of your body well, with necklaces, specs, earrings, hair clips (but not all together). Sport one statement accessory at a time.
    • Consider wearing a waist belt over your tops for extra definition. Wear your belt a little lower if you’re short-waisted.
    “De-emphasizing” the bottom and elongating your legs:
    • Keep your bottom choices simple and structured, thereby saving all the visual interest for your tops. No cargo pockets, waistband details, side entry pockets, pleats, drawstrings, elastication or hip embellishments. Curvy women can wear skinnies, if you match them with A-line tunics, dresses and heels. Trust me, it’s a fab look!
    • Keep the front part of your pants free of detail and your rise mid in length (not too high or low). Make sure that there is enough ease through the hip and thigh. Fabrics with stretch are your best bet.
    • Keep the hems of your pants wide (boot cut or flared) if you’re not sporting “the skinnies and tunics” silhouette. Pants that skim along the contour of your thighs always work best.
    • Keep walk shorts straight from the thigh down and knee-length (like a cullotte) and avoid lengths shorter than this.
    • Don’t force yourself to wear pants and jeans if you look and feel fabulous in skirts and dresses. Knee length A-line skirts with vertical panel seaming are best. Stay clear of bias-cut skirts and pencil skirts. Ankle length A-line styles work particularly well for tall pear-shaped gals.
    • Wear pointy-toed shoes (if you can) with pants that are wide at the hem to elongate the leg.
    • Wearing some sort of heel (even if it’s just an inch) whenever you can will give you the height that automatically slims down curves. Simple rule: the curvier your bottom, the longer and wider you’ll need to wear your pants and the higher you’ll need to wear your heel to balance out your silhouette. This is especially effective if you sport the correct pants length (hems should skim the surface of the ground).
    • Be mindful of shoes with ankle straps. They might break the long vertical line that you are trying to create.
    • Wearing heeled knee high boots that are slim at the ankle with skirts or dresses in cooler weather is a great leg-flattering look.

Hope this helps!
    Sere :D

2 people like this.

2. vidhu63

vidhu63 Gold IL'ite

Hi Serene,

Thank you for your tips.

3. Smita4679

Smita4679 Senior IL'ite

Hi -

Any saree draping, chudidhar (colours/prints)tips for ladies having pear shaped figures?

Smita

4. limkabook

limkabook Bronze IL'ite

5. PinkRubies

PinkRubies Moderator Staff Member Platinum IL'ite

6. ritaroy

ritaroy Bronze IL'ite

Hi Serene,

Thanks for your post. Good tips.

Love

Rita

7. lakajitsiva

lakajitsiva New IL'ite

Thank U. Useful tips.

Luv
    Siva.

8. SeasonMomma

SeasonMomma New IL'ite

Wow, this post is a couple years old I see, but still super helpful! I only recently discovered the "fruit" body types and discovered that I am a pear... it's good to know this information has been sitting here all along, but so irritating I hadn't found it sooner. Lol. I'm glad I found it though, I feel much better knowing that I can wear things I never though I could, like skinnies! I never liked them because I knew my body type did not go well with them, but knowing if I pair them with the right top (and of course shoes!) then I can actually wear them! YAY! This opens up a whole new wardrobe for me! No more boring and drab clothing! Thanks so much for posting this! I've found similar articles, but none as in depth as yours, and even without pictures, yours is still by far the best one I have found!:thumbsup

9. Butterfly04

Butterfly04 Gold IL'ite

nice useful tips...thanks!

10. lalaja

lalaja New IL'ite

while in us i had bought couple of items that would be perfect for ladies to show off curves and be comfortable those are genie bra and pajama jeans.