1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Tips for Newcomers to U.S

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by knbg, Mar 15, 2012.

1. knbg

knbg Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Hi Anu,

Thank you.:)

Here's the link for bay area sub-forum.
    Indians in Bay Area - IndusLadies
    Hope you find friends there.:)

Carry on can be a trolly, but please check the allowed dimensions of the baggage ( lengthxwidhthxheight) with the airlines.

Here are some threads on traveling with a little kid:

http://www.indusladies.com/forums/infants/75264-travelling-us-10-mnths-old.html
    http://www.indusladies.com/forums/infants/36891-travelling-us-7-months-kid.html
    http://www.indusladies.com/forums/f...kes/72842-travelling-us-first-time-along.html
    http://www.indusladies.com/forums/g...nd-canada/195316-what-to-pack-india-trip.html

Have a safe and happy journey and best wishes for a smooth re-location...:thumbsup

2. het12

het12 New IL'ite

Hi,

We are relocating to USA on 15th May. As per general suggestion we plan to buy a Preethi Mixer from India. When we went to buy it the local Shop keep told us that our existing Preethi mixer can be converted to 110V compatible for Rs. 800/-.

His suggestion is like "Why to but a new Preethi mixer for 110V @ Rs 5000/- when we can get the same 110V compatible by paying just Rs 800/- or so.

My question is whether it is safe to got for conversion or buy a new one ?
    Please share your though suggestion if you have got this conversion done in Bangalore along with shop details, if available.

3. knbg

4. shimmering

shimmering New IL'ite

I would suggest go for a new one instead of conversion. If you do get some problem with conversion you ll have problems after coming here. Which ll be pretty expensive to fix, on top of that you loose all that weight over a machine which might not work here.
    So best buy an already 110 V compatible preeti.

5. shimmering

shimmering New IL'ite

This thread is really helpful.

6. Annasri

Annasri Silver IL'ite

Hi friends ,my friend son is going to travell to u.s ,they have a doubt if they can carry little white sugar with him.

7. knbg

A little in checked baggage shouldn't be a problem.

1 person likes this.
  8. fari7

fari7 New IL'ite

Hi all,
    Due to time constraints i couldnt get a mixer from India. I would want to know from where can i get here.. should i buy online or is there any stores that i can look for.. i stay in virginia.
    Thanks

9. Coolchap

Coolchap New IL'ite

Always use Transport Security Administration(TSA) certified locks for locking your checked baggage or suitcases. in India TSA certified locks are widely available in all retail stores and online at flipkart.com

for eg

Travel Blue TSA Lock - Price in India, Reviews, Ratings & Specifications | Flipkart.com

10. Coolchap

Coolchap New IL'ite

Never laminate your educational or non educational certificates or documents.Once visa stamping is over then scan all your educational & non educational documents including passport and save them to your email id.You can have copy of documents in a pen drive too.After coming to USA rescan your passport & i-94 etc and save it to your email id.

Passport :
    Make sure that you have your surname mentioned in the passport.If your passport doesnt have surname or if you have only initial in the place of surname, then it leads to many complications. So get it corrected ASAP

Driving License :
    Before coming to USA always make sure that your name in your Indian driving license and/or in your international driving license matches with that of your passport. If not then that Indian or international driving license is useless in USA.Dont forget that in few states you can get US driving license just by showing your Indian driving license, there wont be any driving test and you just need to appear for written test only. and if possible make sure that your driving license has blood group too.

Marriage certificate : I suggest you not to change your surname/last name/family name after marriage.this leads to few headaches when traveling abroad. In the future you can have your hubbys surname for your kids.

so always see that you have your maiden full name name(with complete first name and surname) in the marriage certificate. and also names in the marriage certificate should match with that of your passport.also make sure that the marriage certificate is in English or in any dual language like Hindi and English or Tamil and English etc. and never laminate the marriage certificate. Its always advantageous if all of your documents have same name.

Birth Certificate: Never laminate your birth certificate.
    http://www.immihelp.com/birth-certificate/

In USA at all airports luggage/baggage trollys or luggage carts are not free so always have some change or coins handy. may cost 3$. not sure

Last edited: Oct 14, 2013