1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Tips for Newcomers to U.S

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by knbg, Mar 15, 2012.

1. indoc

indoc Gold IL'ite

@abhitej
    BD stores are well stocked with almost all Indian fishes.. especially if you are a Bengali, you will be delighted to know that there's year long supply of frozen Hilsa... and of better quality than what we get in Kharagpur/Howarh.

Grated dried cocnut, you can get Lankan, Thai, Phillipines and vietnamese.. but Lankan brands are close to our tastes.. others are too sweet.

Ladoos too you can buy in any Indian stores, but if you want to carry, better not to keep them in hand baggage.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  2. abhitej

abhitej New IL'ite

Thanks for reply bhargavi

1 person likes this.
  3. divyasri25

divyasri25 New IL'ite

hii to all im going to usa(boston)in april,recently got married i have doubt whether we can carry copper based utensils ?imean whether we can use them in electric stoves or not?reply pls

4. guesshoo

guesshoo IL Hall of Fame

My cousin had trouble using copper-bottomed vessels on the electric coil stoves. Normal stainless steel, cast iron etc work fine though

5. dimhere

dimhere Gold IL'ite

Hello all,

What kadai do you use for deep frying in the US??Everyone tells me not to take curved based kadais ?? So u deep fry in flat kadais??

Also, it seems the center of the coil will not get heated. So small tadka pan will not work.. You have keep it in the side of the coil, and waste heat..

For grating coconut, should I get that counter top vaccum grater in check in baggage?

Also, can we light silver lamps for God in US? (Oil + wick + open flame) Will it trigger the alarm??
    what about agarbattis??

Lastly, how do u manage a bedwetting child in long haul flilghts..She is toilet trained during the day.. but unwittingly wets her bed at night. If she dozes off on the flight, and I too, I dont want to be in an embarassing (stinky) situation.. :(

Thanks for this lovely thread, ladies...

6. swiss

swiss Gold IL'ite

Hi dimhere -

U can light silver lamps and agarbattis here.. no issues.. i do it everyday...

As for coconuts, u get grated coconuts in indian stores... That is what i use.. Whole coconuts are also available.. but they are sometimes dry.. i guess most people go for the grated coconuts.. You wouldnt need to bring the grater..

I use the flat kadai's here. Depends on the place you stay.. If it has electrical stove, flat tawas work best.. Some apts have gas option, but its rare.. Better to bring flat ones..

Can you make ur daughter wear diapers for one time for the flight?? Not sure what can be done.. Lets wait for answers from more experience ILites...

1 person likes this.
  7. Tina185830

Tina185830 New IL'ite

Hi All, I am new to the US.. it's been 2 weeks since we moved here.. we live in los Angeles, California.. and despertely looking for some Indian friends..

I am sorry if I am writing this in the wrong blog, but it would be great to get some Indian contacts to meet.. it feels lonely at home..

Jey likes this.
  8. Jey

Jey Administrator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

9. Tina185830

Tina185830 New IL'ite

@Jey - Thank you so much. Guess I would get connected.

10. Jey

Jey Administrator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame