1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Tips for long airline travel with Infants

Discussion in 'Infants' started by ramyaramani, Sep 12, 2012.

1. ramyaramani

ramyaramani Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Traveling with infants always creates tension. I have travelled twice from US to India along with DD (alone once). Taking care of few things before hand reduces tension during travel.

Pre-Travel

Ticket Booking

1. Book a bassinet during ticket booking itself.
    2. Make a request for baby food. Inform them of any allergies. Baby food in airlines is generally the puree jars like gerber, heinz etc. If you child is a toddler and eats regular food then request a child meal. Again inform the airline about allergies.
    3. If seat booking is available, then book a bassinet row seat.

Packing

1. Prepare a list for the things to carry. Create separate lists for cabin and check in baggage. If you are travelling alone restrict your cabin baggage to just one backpack.
    2. Buy the required items in advance. Do not wait until the last day for shopping.
    3. Start packing atleast a week early. Last minute packing will leave you worn out for the travel.
    4. Stroller - take a stroller only if you have long transit time. If you are used to a sling, then it is better than a stroller.
    5. Pack medicines in clear bag for cabin baggage.

Understand the Airline

1. Each airline is different. Each person has a different experience. Read about previous travel experiences in the airline in which you are travelling.
    2. As you get closer to the date of travel, you will know the type of airplane. Glance through the seating arrangement of the plane once and know which seats are bassinet seats. This will help you during check-in.

Local Info (in India)

1. Find out the paed and his/her availability in your area (in India). This will give you enough time to research about him/her.
    2. Research the availability of any specific baby products near your locality. You never know when you might need them.

As a mom you should be well rested before travel. This will help you in handling your LO efficiently.

During Travel

Check-in and Boarding

1. Check-in early. This will help you in getting a bassinet. There are limited bassinets available. Even if you made a request during ticket booking, there is no guarantee unless you get the bassinet seats i.e front row seats.
    2. Security check - Ask the security personnel for using the fastest moving lane. They usually oblige when you have an infant. The anklets/jewels make the machines in security go bonkers. So if you can just remove it during travel.
    3. Board when they call for parents with infants. This helps you in getting a good position for cabin baggage.
    4. If LO does not sleep in the bassinet, do not ask the airline staff to remove it. Store your LO's items in it during the course of travel.

Clothing

1. Put comfortable cloths for your LO. It should also be easy for diaper change.
    2. Do not think that covering your LO completely will keep him comfortable inside the airline. Sometimes in flights, it becomes really warm and makes a fully clothed child very uncomfortable. So have something for layering. But use them depending on the temperature inside the airline. If you feeling hot, then chances are your LO is feeling hot too.
    3. Use your own blanket for LO. Airlines blankets are commercially washed and can sometimes cause rashes.
    4. Use diaper rash cream or vaseline when diapering. This will ensure that there are no rashes or redness after finishing travel.
    5. Keep your LO moisturized during travel. Air travel tends to make the skin dry.

Food

1. If you are EBF, then you are good to go. No worries except for the embarrasing situations for mom! Nothing embarrassing If you believe in what you do.
    2. Formula feeding - carry enough formula and bottles. Airline staff will help in washing your bottles with hot water. All this depends on the airline staff.
    3. Baby food - carry your own baby food. Do not try anything new. I found to-go packs to be super useful.
    4. Ask the airline for baby food. You can either use this in the airline or pack it off for later.
    5. Water - Airlines provide hot water. But you can also carry boiled/filtered water. I carried a small bottle from Chennai to New York. No problems in security.
    6. Feed during takeoff and descent (not just actual landing). This does not guarantee no crying but no harm in trying. You can use pacifiers too at this time. If you can get your LO to sleep, that is best.

How much to pack?

1. Baby food - Pack for extra 24 hours minimum.
    2. Diapers - one for every one hour of travel. You might have several extra but this helps when you have a delay or missed flight.
    3. Wipes - 1 packet
    3. Clothing - 3 extra sets. Several bibs depending on your LO's usage in general.
    4. Toys - carry favorite toys/gadgets. Give only 1 at a time. You can also request the airline staff for toys.

Medicines

1. Carry medicines for fever, cold, cough, loose stools and allergies at minimum.
    2. If you are planning on giving some medicine for LO to sleep, get paed's advice on the same.
    3. Diaper rash cream is a must.

People would ooh-aah/groan/crib when your LO cries during travel. Some would even advise you on giving LO a sedative. Unless you are really interested do not give them based on others advice. Do not mind other people. Just ignore them.

Post-Travel

1. Chances are your LO is tired, cranky and frustrated initially. Stranger anxiety might also be at its peak. So be prepared for excessive bouts of crying.
    2. It takes about a week minimum before LO settles into the new time zone. So adjust your schedules accordingly.
    3. Before settling into the new time zone, LO's feeding schedule can be erratic. So adjust accordingly.
    4. Depending your locale adjust the bath/moisturizer/powder rounds appropriately. I found that in Chennai during summer, LO needed only powder and not a moisturizer.
    5. I used diapers all through the visit. I ensured that I changed it every 3 hours irrespective of whether diaper was full or not. No issue of rashes or redness.
    6. As a mom get your sleep when LO sleeps.

That is all I can think of now. Shall add more as I remember. Other moms please add any points that I have missed.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2012
    26 people like this.

2. kylie

kylie Gold IL'ite

dear Ramya,

That was very well tabulated n detailed info. I am sure it will benefit many. Thanks for sharing.

love
    Kylie

3. vjbunny

vjbunny IL Hall of Fame

Dear Ramya
    Very well written informative thread... Thanks for sharing

PS: What does stars mean? Have you used it to emphasise the points as top priority?

4. ramyaramani

@kylie thank you for your feedback.

@vjbunny thank you for your feedback. Dont know why the stars appeared. Have removed them now.

5. pumpkin01

pumpkin01 Platinum IL'ite

Hi Ramya, really I am so happy seeing this post. I'll be travelling to India in a month or two and your post has made it very easy for me to plan my trip. I am going to take a print out, really thank you so much for taking time for this detailed information. :)

6. ramyaramani

@pumpkin01 Your feedback made my day! thank you.

7. Rakhii

Rakhii Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Ramya, thanks for the tips! Very useful. It really takes about a week for the jetlag to settle is it? Wow, that's long. We are traveling a month from now and I am already tensed. How I wish I had a private jet :) lol!

I think you can add travel vaccinations before travel. I am getting that shot for my LO early next month.

8. rose8282

rose8282 Platinum IL'ite

Thank you Ramya. Wonderful post. Well thought of. Hats off to organized moms!

9. ramyaramani

@Rakhii I completely missed writing about vaccinations. Should add that info to the list too.

Dont we all wish for private jets! Although a magical carpet would be nice too.

@rose8282 Thank you for your kind words.

10. ramyaramani

Pre-Travel Vaccinations

Talk to your paed about your travel at least 4 weeks before your date of travel. This is because some shots need 2 doses over a period of 2-3 weeks.
    Do not assume that you can get the monthly/milestone shots in India (unless you are moving permanently). The vaccines and their schedules are different in each country and it requires adjusting the schedule appropriately.