1. Handy Kitchen Tips that You cannot Miss : Solutions for all your Problems
    Dismiss Notice

Tips for growing rose plant

Discussion in 'Gardening' started by Rad, Feb 8, 2008.

1. Rad

Rad Bronze IL'ite

hi

i am mad about having rose plants at home....Since we live in an apartment the only way is to have potted roses....recently i bought one and i have got a small bud in it.....i am watering it daily and kept it in direct sunlight....
    can u suggest some of the tips to keep the plant alive and to get beautiful roses? :idea
    tips that are easy to follow as i am a working woman...

thank u.

2. Anandchitra

Anandchitra IL Hall of Fame

Re: hi

Welcome Radhika
    Its nice to hear you bought a rose bush and its going to flower too. I can give tips that I follow.
    I fertilize once a year. I buy organic fertilizers and have around 60 or so bushes. So I do this once a year in spring. I know many who do this once in 3 months but i dont have time. I water everyday. Thats IT !!!!!!!!!!!
    Lot of people spray regularly to avoid insects and bugs. You can also get all this info from the nursery itself wher you bought the plant.
    I personally think taking care of the rose plant is the easiest. As long as it gets water and sun its happy. But do take notice of the size of pot. It needs lots of room to grow the bigger the pot size the better. Hopei helped. Good luck.

3. MythiliMurali

MythiliMurali Bronze IL'ite

hi chitra
    i am using miracle soil & they say to change the soil for every 3 months.i planted them in july.but till now i didn't change the soil as in winter there will be less growth even though if we change the soil.& also my mother changes soil whenever the soil becomes dry or when there is no growth in plants.i am confused & will there be any symptons when to change the soil.can u pls tell me which is the good time to change the soil
    thanks

Last edited: Feb 10, 2008
  4. Anandchitra

Dear Mythili
    I dont understand which plant you are talking about. Because its different for different plants. Please can you reply and tell if its Rose or other house plants or outdoor plants that you mention and need to know about soil. good luck.
    I am currently doing soil work because spring is the time to get started. We are still not in spring but i am starting a litle early.

5. MythiliMurali

thanks for the reply chitra
    i am using miracle gro soil & the same miracle gro plant food.
    i have planted jasmine plants.they r growing well.this is the second time to have flowers in winter(but few only).but how often we have to change soil for those plants.
    i am also planning to plant mint & rose plants.can u suggest me what is the right time to plant these new one's & how often we have to change the soil for these plants too.
    bye

Last edited: Feb 11, 2008
  6. shravanthika

shravanthika Senior IL'ite

Chitra,
    Where did u buy the rose plants from?
    Mythili.
    Where can I find jasmine plants?

7. Anandchitra

Mythili
    You still have not answered my question

Are the plants in POTS or in ground soil?

8. Anandchitra

Shravantika
    I have lots of rose bushes. some I have bought from Lowes, some Home Depot and many online. the online are the best so far.

9. MythiliMurali

hi chitra
    my plants r in pots only.

hi shravanthika
    i brought them in a nursery called 'pesches' in june/july month for $7.but they r normal jasmine flowers but not the round ones(gundu malle)

10. Anandchitra

Whatever I grow in pots, once a year I repot. I take plant out of pot, clean it trim etc..then use new potting soil etc..usually spring time is best
    spring is best for planting roses too
    I will strongly recommend putting rose in ground.