1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Time travel into future.You are a MIL tooo...

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by jmsd, Aug 24, 2012.

1. swt.charu

swt.charu Platinum IL'ite

I sooooo agree to this... I have a 5 year old son... my Mil once was shouting at me for something i did. My Son immediately came up and said "dont shout at my mom" ... that was so damn cute..i loved it... then my MIL was trying to explain him "she has done wrong and thats why I am shouting at her" ... pat came the reply from my son "if she is wrong her mother will shout at her next time when we go to India, you anyway dont shout... if you want to shout ...shout at Appa"

I just loved that ...

10 people like this.
  2. swt.charu

swt.charu Platinum IL'ite

Well I too fantisize being a MIL and I am too quite sure that

1) they will live seperately
    2) I will follow live and let live policy
    3) will babysit the grand kids if they request (that would be my pleasure)
    4) Will enable DIL to create and rule her palace (if she is not a faminist already, I will make her one)
    5) I will bond with DIL more like a woman would with another woman without any prejudices, judgments, expectations etc.

But I have one strange practice... I have already started thinking of my DIL when I buy jewellery for my self... I will alwasy think if this would be fashionable (as in some antique piece) some 20-25 years later and how my DIL would like it... I alwasy keep her in mind when i choose some jewellery..may be she will use it more than me afterall..

hmm... isn't she going to be one lucky DIL ??? (see I have already started talking like a MIL ... ha ha ha)

6 people like this.
  3. saipavani123

saipavani123 Silver IL'ite

I seriously feel same jsmd :) society should change. It was olden days culture suitable to those times where dil does to pils house and mil has to bear /welcome her . Now society has changed. . Hope to see good changes in coming generation :)

1 person likes this.
  4. mejayanthi1956

mejayanthi1956 Senior IL'ite

Dear Friends,
    It is really a good topic to discuss.
    I am already the so called creature MIL.
    What i feel is as far as you do not enter in theirs( Son ans dil)personal matters
    there is no trouble. After marriage you have to treat yr DS also as new commer.And when you visit them
    give importance to their views than ours.Above all it is better not to have any high expectation neither from yr DS.U cannot expect yr DIL to be a opentalk girl but if u are a opentalking female then a high chance of she also turns as you.So far it is nearly 5 years over i am a very very good MIL to my DIL. Ha ha ha
    But i was not a good DIL to my MIl as she use to interfiere in all our matters.I learnt a lot from my MIL what to do and what not to do.Poor DS will have dilama whom to support if a quarrel araise so better be polite in conveying anything to DIL and tell her in low voice and communicate what u want to her and leave the choice to her to take it up or leave it .This is what i am following.
    jayanthi

2 people like this.
  5. mommybird

mommybird Gold IL'ite

Swt Charu, Super son you have got there.

My son is the other way round. :) He wont let me even discipline any other kid. I had already mentioned in some previous post that a close friend's daughter came home and he wouldn't let me mildly discipline her for some thing she did.
    This time it gets worse. I gave her some veggies for dinner today along with pasta and when she was refusing to eat I told her that veggies are good for her and she should eat them. I have no idea where he learnt this from and he said quickly " Ava dhan venam solra illai, nee yen sappu sappu solre? Avaloda Thoppai, avaloda vaai amma, unakku enna. Enakku dhan nee amma naan ketkanum nee solradhey appo dhan naan good boy. ava ketka vendam. " in his baby talk. I was super shocked.

Translation - She says she does not want it. Why are you asking her to eat it? Her stomach, her mouth. whats your problem ;) I have to listen to you because you are my mother and then only I become a good boy. She need not listen.

This boy will not even let me say hello to his GF or wife in 20 yrs time without his approval. I have no choice in deciding how I behave. :)

10 people like this.
  6. mommybird

mommybird Gold IL'ite

Smriti - Hugs again. I just read this post of yours. I just wish your husband had said what he said to you today about you and your family's thinking being a risk to his family (which am not sure includes you, but does include your future kids) before the wedding.

Eandian, Am already eyeing megalife's son for my 1 yr DD. If you dont want me to do that, get yourself a Son and my one yr old DD will gladly be a cougar ;)

4 people like this.
  7. steve

steve Platinum IL'ite

You know what? My mom used to talk like this. But after the concept of DIL had a face, things started to change!

Of course, she is still a million times better than some of the monsters we come across on this forum.

8. yesican

yesican Gold IL'ite

haha steve, you are funny!loved your "yeah right"..LOL

My indian aquaintance here constantly complains abt her MIL who lives in india, her son went to the junior high prom with a girl (indian), she was sooo jealous constantly kept saying chee look that girl is soo shameless what she is wearing soo much makeup (the young girl wore a sleeveless gown with light makeup very common in US and she looked v cute). She kept saying oh you know my son didnt want to take the girl to the prom but you know in US he is under so much peer pressure he had to take out - the son was happy laughing and smiling with his date no problems on his part but mommy dear was seething LOL!

I was aghast! Saas bhi kabhi bahu thi...or rather bahu bhi kabhi saas hogi, and the saga continues!!!

2 people like this.
  9. Megalife

Megalife Platinum IL'ite

Mommy bird/ Eandian
    He....He...I have to show this to my son, it will sure serve as yet another boost for him to make it to the Ivy league schools! Behind every successful man there's a woman ( and I have 2 here), every reason to rejoice!!!
    Anyways hugs to both the DDs!
    Mega

1 person likes this.
  10. smritisinha

smritisinha Platinum IL'ite

Doesn't your son deserve a :kiss and :clap for that !!!

3 people like this.