1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Time travel into future.You are a MIL tooo...

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by jmsd, Aug 24, 2012.

1. jmsd

jmsd Silver IL'ite

Ladies

Visualize yourself.10,20,30 years from now when your sons will be married and you will be that creature called MIL.
    Think about it.What will be your emotions?How easily can you accept the DIL?
    So time travel.
    I know that's hard :-D but Imagine yourself as that aging lady who has just welcomed in her house a new bride and post what's going on as the new MIL.

1 person likes this.

2. jmsd

jmsd Silver IL'ite

I'll start with myself.
    I have two sons.
    First of all ,I really do not know how popular will be 'getting married' at that time.
    Probably affairs and live ins would be the more preferred.

OK right now like all other mothers i am very possessive about my sons(6and 2).
    Looking from here,it seems it will be a bit hard to accept a new girl in their lives.
    But certainly I 'll try to become that good natured ,non manipulative MIL that I have always thought exists but unfortunately could not find.

1 person likes this.
  3. eandian

eandian IL Hall of Fame

No son for me. One dd.

But pretty sure my son in law will be an IL member ranting about his FIL.

13 people like this.
  4. jmsd

jmsd Silver IL'ite

Eandian

Ha ha and there will be new subforum ' Relationship with FILs '

7 people like this.
  5. Hopefully

Hopefully Gold IL'ite

easy to say than practise,but still arent we friends to our kids ........so in that angle when my brother was doing all the favours to his girlfriend,giving all importance to her ,intially i got irritated then on the second meeting itself i cleared my mind thinking its his life and the girl might become his partner for life so i have no rights extra righs over him .I showed all affections on her when she came home ,i want to make sure she is happy,so my brother will also be happy.
    Same with my close friend, i was very possessive over him,but when he got married i was so very happy for him,i know my limits and have cut short my conversations with him,whenever i call him for wishing i make sure i talk to his wife .And most of all i gifted a saree for his wife on his wedding day and nothing for him,his wife loved the saree so much that even being an ultra mordern girl she wore that saree close to 8 times it seems.
    In both the cases my brother's girlfriend and my best friend's wife being women like me a lot.They are secure with me being in their men's life.
    I have a wonderful 2.5 yr old DD now ,but hope to have DS in near future ,and i believe that i can certify in future that even my DIL loves me .

6 people like this.
  6. outofthebox

outofthebox Platinum IL'ite

LOL ! This is turning to be a funny thread now!

Even I have a DD...in addition to what jsmd said, maybe we will have son-in-laws stay with the girl's family !
    Then, we will have a new website "IndusGentlemen" and those son-in-laws will start ranting !!
    :-D :-D Can't even imagine if times will change too drastically !

"Live & Let Live" ! --> this sounds much easier said than done, but this is what I want to practice...as I really can't imagine how quick the times are going to change for the next generation!

4 people like this.
  7. reshsabu

reshsabu Gold IL'ite

I know for sure that me and DH will not interfere in the decision of who he marries.
    I would like him and DIL to stay separate and start a family independantly. I believe that me and DH are responsible for saving for our retired life and I wouldnt like to financially burden my son unless there is no other resort.

As much as the new couple need their privacy, so do I.
    Once my son is settled in life, I want to have a carefree retired life.

9 people like this.
  8. eandian

eandian IL Hall of Fame

Otb,
    Now that is a good idea. :thumbsup

2 people like this.
  9. foxybeat

foxybeat Platinum IL'ite

I Have been actively reading indusladies family section for almost 2 years now and it has helped me in accepting my ILs (in some ways).

It has also inspired an idea in me to write a book (for myself) that will remind me how to behave when I have a DIL/SIL. We dont have kids yet but I have told DH also about this idea. I will read the book and remind myself not to be a control freak (that I am very capable of becoming :hide:). Apart from this I plan to be busy with my DH and myself with my varied interests and travelling and not bug my DD/DS too much. Me and DH talk about this a lot and his promise to me is to keep me from becoming a terror MIL :)

7 people like this.
  10. Megalife

Megalife Platinum IL'ite

Jmsd, hi
    Ok...well, I couldn't miss this thread now. Interesting time travel , yet scary!....OMG , won't I be old?....ok coming to your point.......
    Looking at my teen boy I do not think he going to let me meddle with his life,he is quiet head strong and a man enough to speak up for his wife. I might have an yearning to act MIL...ish, but my wisdom will ask me to shut up.
    And for my DD, god help her MIL, for the MIL doesn't know whom she has let into her house.......she will perpetually rule ! MIL might come wailing to me" take your dd along with my son back, I promise to sent home every month a maintainance ration"....
    Happy dreaming..?....,.,. .!
    Mega

5 people like this.