1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Time period to have kids.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous in Parenting' started by srilak, Dec 16, 2006.

1. srilak

srilak Senior IL'ite

Hi,

I am concerned about the time (mean age) for having a baby for Indians. why I am saying perticularly to Indians means we have certain time perioad to do everything. For instance,we have to complete our studies under 21-24 then get married later have kids. The cycle goes on. For me now I am stuck in the time period of having Kids.

I am 29 year old. Eventhough, my mother and inlwas are not bothering me about kids, I am little worried that is my age will effect on future conceiving and babie's health. So now my question is that is it right to wait long time to have a first baby?If I have my first baby in my 30s ......any adverse effct will happen to the babies health?

please give your insights on this?

Thank you.
    srilak.

2. Vidya24

Vidya24 Gold IL'ite

shubhasya sheegram!

As far as having babies is concerned, it is best to conceive and deliver at least the first baby, as soon as possible. This is not to conform to the age level vs accomplishment standards in Indian life. This is just to make sure that you have a baby in good time.

A woman's fertility decreases with age. So, the sooner you plan your baby, the better it is. Many couples delay since they are waiting to settle down first before starting a family. My opinion is that one never settles down fully in a lifetime. There will be new challenges and commitments cropping up as time flows. So, to wait for things to improve/settle before having a baby may not be right.

That apart, for some couples the delay can be natural, unforced and unavoidable. This has been my case. So, I have been reading a lot abt the health of the mom and baby if conception and delivery occur at a later age. It is not ideal, but there is not much to fear, provided one undergoes periodic check ups during pregnancy, has pre natal tests to ensure the baby is healthy and keeps watch on general health.

A few years back, there was a great fear that delivering the first baby late would cause the baby to be born with genetic defects, Down Syndrome etc. I read a recent medical article, saying that such fears are unfounded. To add credence to this, the NHS in Britain now has published a report that says that older moms are as good as younger ones ( in medical and fitness terms).

All said and done, the earlier a woman conceives and delivers, the better and happier it is for everyone. Don't delay consciously from your side. Try well (push hard, so to say) and all will be fine.

I pray that you have your baby in your arms at this time next year.

affly
    Vidya

3. nakkamanju

nakkamanju New IL'ite

hi srilak,
    this is frm my exp i wouldnt say i am an expert but just my 2 cents......i conceived when i was 28 had my baby just when i was nearing 29..now the complications that comes with age is the gestational diabetis the chances of getting this increases with age and trust me its really horrible to go tru with it if u r 8months pregnant and want to hog up food becoz i faced it gosh was a living hell next is thyroid harmone levels....there r many cases where even a 50 yr old conceived and del with no complications but everything has its pros n cons as n when u r age is increasing so as complications and so as the gap between the 2nd kid i am 30 now and already i am in 2 minds abt 2 nd issue

anyways hope that u will share ur goodnews soon
    with wishes

manju

4. srilak

srilak Senior IL'ite

Not ready yet!!!

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. I think I have to still wait for 2 more years. I have to first complete my exams and moreover my husbend is also not ready for this baby plan. We now finished our 5th aniversary and still didn't have any plan for the babies. Lets see what will happen?

I will try to keep my health very well. Presently, everyday I work our atleast for one hour and most of the time I am afriad of Diabetes. Because we eat "Rice" all the time. In my opinion rice and all carohyderates are the main culprit for the diabetes and now I started eating brown rice. I wanted to take all the precautions from my side.

One more thing,I have a chines friend who is 33 year old and her husbend is 36 and still they are not planning for the baby. She says that they will plan for the baby when they reach to 40. However she doesn't look like 33 year old then also they are not afariad of any diabetes and thyroid problem. Why have we all these problems?

Anyhow,I need to wait for my most memorable day. Till that time,I will be scared to eat fatty food and lot of carb foods.

Thank you.
    srilak.

5. sunitha

sunitha Gold IL'ite

Dear Srilak

I will go with what Vidya says.Frankly,you should not wait too long.I got married at 27 and had my kid at the age of 29.It was not a planned pregnancy but nevertheless I was happy when I became pregnant. But I had hypertension and gestational diabetes during my pregnancy and finally they had to induce labour and my kid was born 1 mnth premature. As the female age increases,the chances of complications in pregnancy and thereafter complications with the baby increases.

Even here in the U.S.,when you become pregnant,if you are above 34 yrs of age,you have to take more precautions. Now I am 33 and I just had a miscarriage 3 weeks back.I don't want to frighten you but many couples put off pregnancy and then when they do plan to have a kid,it ends in a miscarriage which is depressing for everyone.so,please do think thruough it again.

6. srilak

srilak Senior IL'ite

Hi

HI Sunitha,

Thanks for the advice. I will plan for the babies soon after finishing my exam.Probably next year we will plan. I totally agree with u........when we age,more coplications will come during preganency. First,I like to see my general physian to check my sugar,cholestrol and throid test. If all comes negative I am lucky and I will plan for the baby. If not I will take the maximum precautions.

Thank you for all the advice.
    Srilak.

7. sanravi_1970

sanravi_1970 Gold IL'ite

Hi srilak

i wud also go with other people that u have to plan for the first baby as soon as possible. U cant assume wen u can get the first child, it may get delayed by any natural ways, besides we postpone it wantedly. There may be problems with delivery as age progresses particularly after 30, but some deliver after 30 too, who knows wat probs they faced!!! Also as age goes on people may get gestationa diabetes and hypertension during the pregnancy period and also at the time of delivery. It may lead to much complications during delivery. I dont mean to scare u , but telling u the facts.

Even i am planning for the baby for a while but dont know wen i will conceive. Its the nature that creates a delay with me. so pls dont postpone it.

all the best for conceiving a baby and also in ur studies :)

Last edited: Dec 22, 2006