Time Management

Discussion in 'Jokes' started by roopadadia, Dec 12, 2007.

1. roopadadia

roopadadia Silver IL'ite

I often hear people saying "I am too busy i just don't find the time....." Was just wondering whether is it really so or just for the heck of saying that i am busy and i don't have time do they speak out such words.

How many of us can seriously jot down our general routine and find out whether we are really running short of time or is it just a Fad to say so. If we are really running out of time then i am sure we need to evaluate our routine and ourselves to make that time for those occassions.

Also, do we ever evaluate at the end of the day whether we spent our day satisfactorily or was it just another day.

To make things simple i'll just jot down a very general basic routine of mine:

Wake up in the morning freshen up and go for a walk, come home and do some exercise & meditation.

Then relax and read the newspaper.

After that all of us have breakfast together. If its a holiday we just sit and chat over b/fast. (My DH, his cousin sister, my neice and me)

Then everyone gets ready and go their own way. I finish small jobs around the house. Then its cooking time.

Sometimes i go to office in the morning itself (depends on the workload) or i visit an orphanage near my house or visit IL.

1.30 - 2.00 is lunch time. Everyone comes home.

2 - 7 is office. Sometime i don't have work but they just need me around. (we are a software company and have about 150 staff). I log on to IL from office and whenever i find time i browse thru the site.

Go home watch some tv...have dinner (again all together whenever possible)

Then everyone watch TV together or sit and chat or play something.

On the days whenever i am able to meet my social service commitments...i feel really good. I have lot of other activities too ...but this is just an example.

We usually entertain people at home, i prepare only whatever i can depending on how much time i have on that day or if i know in advance then i keep some things ready before hand. Many a times i have my husband calling at 8PM so and so is coming for dinner and invariably on that day the dinner menu is very simple maybe like khichdi-kadhibonkand i may have precisely 15-20 min to prepare something additional. But this is also fun. :cheers

Would love if anyone of you can share your daily experience here...it will help us to do time management and organise ourselves more effectively.

Roopa.

2. sathya

sathya Gold IL'ite

hello roopa

i think about time too...... some ask have you swallowed the clock
    or can i please borrow your time as i have so many issues on hand that i hardly have the time...!
    time management sure works it is more on where we loose time or to ...perhaps we keep reading....talking to someone hours on end... while we should be doing something constructive?,,,,sometimes it is just day dreaming..there are people who sleep it out...
    mine is a busy schedule right from five a.m with birdy calls, some exercise,/walk /yoga and then with the subrapatham and filter coffee.,,gardening for about couple of hours,,,leisurely bath and drawing a ganesha...thats my prayer,,,and a couple of chants i know,,,then cooking for about one and half hour,,,,the whole afternoon left free to read browse or whatever....evening sometimes talk with mom and with the lights on sometimes a visit to the temple,,,sometimes watch travel and living,,,, make dinner only if dh is willing to eat ...he takes fruits... sometimes spend time with dh talking about any issue other than politics....then talk with kids .....read to sleep at ten...!

sathya

3. RamyaVaradharajan

RamyaVaradharajan Bronze IL'ite

Dear Roopa ma'am,

A good start. Yes, time management plays an important role in our day to day life. When ever the thought "I do not have enough time to complete this work" strikes me; I give a bang to myself and say "I still have a long way to face in life". The person i blame is none other than my own self. Am in my final year of Under Graduation; and yet have lots to plan both for future activities and for daily routine.

Especially now, am involved in my project work; so time management plays a great deal. Am fortunate enough to get my project work under a reputed Scientist (my dream come true) and now i know how difficult it is to get into the groove of an experienced educationalist.

Yoga, meditation and emotional support from my parents keep my move on the board of life. My Krishna's (Lord) maha mantra helps me balance my life's sway.

I try to roughly make a mental plan as to what should be done and what should not be done. Sub-consciously i say to myself that this day i should face with utmost bravery and with the assurance that the pillar of support (my parents) always side with me.

This is how every day has gone and (hopefully) will pass on too with each day sprinkled with a different flavor!

Thanks a lot ma'am for having started this thread. Hope all ILites share how they manage their time in the best possible way.

Regards:hatsoff

4. devvrinda

devvrinda New IL'ite

Dear Roopa Maam,
    Good topic to discuss and this thread is timely too. Before making new year resolutions we must learn time management too. I too believe that it's all about managing time not lack of time. If we know time management then there's time for everything otherwise 24 hours is less.
    I get up at 5:30, start with yoga and helps the cook in the kitchen. By 7.30 I'll be free. Then news paper and by 8.15 my son goes to school. By 9 me and my husband goes out together to our work place and come back by 2(my working time only 5 hrs) and have lunch together. By 3 my son comes back. Then we play together (computer games or net surfing- whenever he uses the net I sit with him). then he goes for out door play. I contnue my surfing or complete my work. After 6 I help my son in his studies. And then by 7 my husband comes back home. By 7 or 7.30 we three go for a drive. I prefer it instead of sitting glued to TV. While watching TV we wont talk to each other. To avoid that we go for outings. We do have a group of friends who meet at one place to have some fun. (once in a month). If I'm not going out then I spend most of the time with my son - either read out a book for him or do some craft or just spends the eve talking. Or otherwise invite some friends to home. On sundays usually we spend the first half cleaning the house and planning the week ahead in the evening go for shopping or just spend the eve out. For each outing or holidays we try to do something different so that we wont feel bored. The weekend's fun will keep us energised for the next week.
    Every year me and my husband sit together and plan for the coming year. Then we break up the plan into monthly, weekly and daily plans (for finance too). Every day I make sure that I've done something to attain my goal. When u reach ur short term goals u feel motivated to move on to the next level. This really works friends, and we will enjoy our work too.
    With Regards
    devvrinda

5. roopadadia

roopadadia Silver IL'ite

Thanks Sathya, Ramya & Vrinda for taking time out and giving your valued responses.

Yes, time management is very important in life. 5-10 min in the morning to chalk out your entire day helps a lot.

As Sathya mentioned talk to mom or friends...we also know whether we have enough time on that day to chit chat or do we have other priorities.

If we plan out a weekly menu, that too helps while making the grocery list so you don't have to run to the market every now & then to get that one thing which you forgot. Unless, many ladies in Mumbai prefer going to the market in the evening to get fresh fruit & veggies and it also give them a chance to go out and stretch their legs and meet a couple of people and break the monotony of the entire day inside the house.

Introspection at night is equally important.

We'll get more ways and ideas as more people will respond.

Roopa.

6. RamyaVaradharajan

RamyaVaradharajan Bronze IL'ite

Well said Roopa ma'am,

In this monotonous, hectic and pre-scheduled life, we miss out on life's essential snippets. Talking to our buddies relieves us of tension and creates a peaceful serene within ourselves. Thereby creating a calm environment.

Routine introspections on what should be done and when, hits the "to-do list" with the highest grade.

Time management itself demands a great deal of time to be allocated for the purpose to be fulfilled.

Regards

7. kanaka

kanaka Bronze IL'ite

Dear Roopadadia,
    I learnt from one of my Superiors never to say "Sorry Iam very busy". As a young librarian when I joined my work place he corrected that statement of mine. Being very young in the profession and also by age he just made me sit near him and said "Child never say so. That shows the person is very disorganised. We have 24hours. Enough time to manage our life.Those who say so are either in a make believe world or they are inefficent". To date I say honestly the reason for my apathy or delay. But never mention "Iam so busy that I could'nt do-- - - - .
    I do appreciate your way of thinking. Happy New Year. kanaka