1. Handy Kitchen Tips that You cannot Miss : Solutions for all your Problems
    Dismiss Notice

Time management - cooking, cleaning, and exercise

Discussion in 'Spotless Kitchen' started by kkrish, Apr 22, 2012.

1. manjukps

manjukps IL Hall of Fame

Hi all,

MIA as last week was hectic for me. Just general update

Last long weekend had my co-sis and kids staying here. We had good time.

Tuesday went to t.nagar had to rush back before dd arrived from school. Had gone to see auditor, then had ' to buy' list if I go to t.nagar like buying lining cloth, some embellishments and other much necessary items. I used to note in my mobile as and when I think I need something separately 'if I go to' such and such place or particular shopwise even if it is local market. So there will not be any need of preparing list just before we go and we will never forget to take mobile with us

Wednesday, went and registered for aaadhar card, which too k almost half day. Again evening went with kids fo do the same. Did some stitching. My neighbor bought flowers for me too, for varalakshmi pooja. I tied jasmine, jaadhi flowers for both of us all together 2 and 1/2 kgs. Took 3 hrs in the late evening. So just made dosa for dinner. DH on the way to home picked up in-laws and came after dinner.

Thursday after regular chores cleaned kitchen and counter top. Went to Radha kalyaanam to a nearby marriage hall, then went bought few remainjng items for next day's pooja. MIL did preparation of coconut pooranam, clarified butter. I helped in scrapping coconut, ground for raw rice idli and kozhakattai batter, so that morning we don't have soak and grind in a rush. Kept this batter immediately in fridge. Idli batter, left outside to ferment. Then evening started doing alankaram for ambal. This time tried drapping saree, got some idea seeing few youtube videos. So many years I was drapping only a blouse bit, folding and ruffling like long skirt. Somehow satisfactorily finished. After dinner put maakolam wherever necessary. As it was raining kept putting kolam in front of the house pending.

Today got up at 5, made coffee, arranged the utensils, put big kolam in front, bordered with kaavi. By 5.45 mil too got up, took bath, both of us started pooja preparations of three kinds of kozhakattais, payasam, vadai, idli along with regular cooking for fil and my parents. Pooja got over around 12. Then served lunch for fil , dad and dd. (Poor DH and DS had food outside today). Then we three had. Stored all left over food in different utensils, emptied sink, kept kitchen in a state of at least cleanable for maid. Mom helped. Maid came around 1.30, gave her thamboolam, took some rest. After coffee, parents left. Went to neighbors' to call for thamboolam. I miss all of you ladies for thamboolam. Only today feeling like oh this thread is only virtual. Arranged thamboolam in big plate to make it convenient for my mil to give, since I have come to music class along with dd. Will try to post pics of ambaal today noght in appropriate thread and give link here.

Regards
    Manjukps

6 people like this.
  2. anupamag

anupamag Gold IL'ite

Hi all IL friends,,
    WISH YOU ALL A VERY HAPPY VARAMAHALAKSHMI FESTIVAL, MAY GODDESS SHOWER YOU AND FAMILY WITH HEALTH,WEALTH & PROSPERITY.
    Yesterday was the Orientation day for new parents in DDs school, DH had taken off. Morning went to do some shopping for light winter jackets, since it will start getting cold here,but not too cold for heavy jackets yet.Then had lunch at an Indian restaurant outside. Then went to school and met all teachers and her class teacher, and DD was all excited. Hope she will learn and enjoy there. Then came back home, freshened up and went to Chennai Express movie here, enjoyed a lot, came home and had ready made chapatis with curd and pickle and slept.

Morning woke up early and prepared pulihore for DH lunch box. Then cleaned the house one round, then went down and plucked some flowers and took bath and performed simple puja. Then played "Lalitha sahasranamam" on you tube and started cooking, DD helped me a lot, she is such a darling. Made pappu, majjige huli, shavige payasam, lemon rice, pepper rasam. Was hoping DH will come home for lunch, but didn't, so only DD and me had lunch.Now, waiting for DH to come home and taste my cooking.Missing India and family today.

2 people like this.
  3. mahesaran

mahesaran IL Hall of Fame

Hi Anu, Good that you celebrated the pooja up to your best.(actually we don't celebrate in our family, so i don't know the procedure.) All the best to your dd for her schooling. My hubby went thrice to Germany. He liked that country very much.
    Hi Manju mam, Hope you celebrated VP very well. I am so eager to see the pictures of your ambal. Now and then you are giving good and useful tips(storing the list in mobile). Thanks for that.:):) I am missing to tie the flowers after my marriage. After i learned that, for every birthday, i would tie flowers and wore. Even jasmine would be the season in July.
    Hi Akila, Where are you getting the stamina to do this much work?Really hats off to you.:hatsoff Good that you are going for yoga classes. I should appreciate your family members that they are giving a helping hand to you.
    Hi gurpreet, Welcome to this thread.:hiya

Today nothing special, hubby went to office, so only usual things, took rest for half an hour while ds was studying.prepared idli, coriander chutney, quick sambhar(tried for first time) for bf, snake gourd dal, beans carrot curry, miexd veg soup(ds had indigestion yesterday , so prepared soup for him),loaded w/m and put the clothes in the corridor and keeping an eye as the sun is playing between the clouds. now in IL.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2013
    3 people like this.
  4. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

Hello Magee: Nice to read your updates.
    Hello Kika: My wishes for a speedy recovery from your injury. I heard that a a ligament pull can be very painful and slow in healing too.
    Dear Jeni
    How are you? Hope you are feeling better now. It is unfortunate your domestic help has quit and left you in a lurch.
    I am sure you will manage but will be difficult with a little baby.
    Hello Akila: Nice reading your updates. thanks for your tip on the kitchen drainage maintenance. Please give a link in the Sticky thread.
    Hello Bhucat: Nice seeing you. Thank you also for the wonderful tip. Please give a link to this in the Sticky thread.
    Hello Gayathri: Happy to note that you are keeping yourself busy. Swimming is a good exercise. Thanks for your reassuring words. They mean a lot to me. Cool maadidhey! :)
    Hello Anupama: Nice to hear about your days. Your menu is very nice, especially the shavige payasam. I am going to come to your home.
    Hello Mahesh: As usual your daily menus are mouth watering. I read them and my stomach becomes full.
    Very nice to know that you keep yourself so busy. Very inspirational.
    Perhaps you missed the posts on list-keeping earlier in this thread. You can refer to the sticky thread for tips on keeping lists.
    Hello Gurupreet: What? You are not yet a homemaker and are worried about doing household chores? My suggestion to you is continue to be lazy and enjoy these carefree days. When you become homemaker you will automatically take on all the responsibilities.:) Just kidding.
    Practice basic maintenance of your room and your things and keep them organized. That will be a good foundation when you get married and have a home of your own.
    But relax now and enjoy.
    Hello Manju:
    Thank you for the detailed post on your past few days and for sharing the TM techniques you mentioned.
    1. The list-keeping on the phone is very apt and very timely.
    List making is one of the time management tools that we had discussed earlier and I am glad to see how that has helped you.
    2. Planning and pre-prepartion of the rice flour, grating coconuts, etc.
    3. Working around the many daily activities and still being able to complete.
    Your post is the kind of detail that we all will draw inspiration from and find helpful. Thank you very much.

Dear SRama
    Thank you for reminding us to post recipes in the recipe section. On behalf of the poster I apologize.

Dear posters
    Please adhere to the moderator's request.
    While it is understandable that it is easy to post recipes here, please also understand this rule applies to everybody. If it is relaxed for one, it should be relaxed for others too which will eventually turn this thread full of recipes.
    Thanks for your cooperation.

Hello to all my other friends.
    Have a great weekend.

6 people like this.
  5. shaluu

shaluu Gold IL'ite

Hi friends,

Past few days I have been busy.

Wednesday: prepared palak paneer. All liked it as I did it after a long time. Should prepare it once in a week

Thursday: prepared breakfast vermicelli pulav for the first time. It turned out good. Afternoon helped for lunch

Friday: it was festival at home. Mom gave me the responsibility to take care of whole day's cooking. Prepared rice, sambhar, pumpkin curry, payasam and vada. Helped a bit in arranging for puja and put some small rangolis

Saturday: did some shopping, dh is a proud owner of an iPad now. I am typing this from it now. Preparing avarekayi up a now for dinner.

2 people like this.
  6. manjukps

manjukps IL Hall of Fame

3 people like this.
  7. anupamag

anupamag Gold IL'ite

Hi IL friends,

Thanks for your likes and comments, all dear friends are most welcome to come home for savories. Yesterday we went shopping for the final list of DD school items, then went to the new Indian restaurant, Saravana Bhavan and enjoyed south Indian delicacies. Today morning, DH went to Sweden for 2 days business trip, prepared dosa and chutney for him. Now called India and browsing IL. Yet to take bath. Will take DD to last day of summer fest here, else she will be bored at home. From tomorrow, DDs school will start, so little tensed for first day without DH in town. I have prepared timetable for BF, lunch and snack menus, and will buy groceries and cook accordingly.

2 people like this.
  8. mahesaran

mahesaran IL Hall of Fame

Thank you KK mam, Here after i will follow. Nice to see you here.
    Manju mam, I accepted you virtual thambulam, :)You had decorated the ambal nicely.
    Shaluu, Even i and ds like palak panner every much. This week i will also try it. Thanks for reminding me.:)
    Hi Anu, Good that you prepared the timetable.

Yesterday went for 1:15 hr of outside walk. After dinner did surfing for ds project. Cut some pictures from the chart and arranged everything to stick. Helped ds to write computer project in the scarp book.

Today morning started my day at 7:30 with 1/2 hr of jogging, Then prepared aval(poha) with jaggery and nuts for me and hubby and dosa and podi for ds. Went for this week shopping. After coming back went to brought the pressed clothes(gave on Thursday). Then prepared melon smoothie for us and milk for ds. Then cleaned the greens , meanwhile helped ds to do science project. Arranged all the veggies and groceries. Prepared rice, seasoned dal and potato curry for ds and salad, buttermilk for us. Pasted the pictures for science, maths and gk in the scrap book. Created some word problem on my own for the maths project and asked ds to solve the problems. Now ds is writing the maths problem and i am IL. Totally the project is finished. :)Tomorrow he have to submit.

4 people like this.
  9. attitudegirl

attitudegirl Platinum IL'ite

Hi All!!

I am just back from short vacation.. My house is a big mess right now.. House to be cleaned, mopped.. clothes to be washed, folded.. have to do grocery and cook..

I am a cleanliness freak and this state of my home leaves me in tears.. just not finding enough energy to do everything. hope this thread motivates me like an energy bar.

And with vacation time for kids doesnt help much either

Last edited: Aug 18, 2013
    3 people like this.
  10. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

Dear Shaalu
    Congrats on being a new iPad owner!
    Dear Anupama
    Thank you for the invitation.
    Dear Manju
    Thanks for the virtual thamboolam. I can see so much love for Devi that went into this decoration.
    Dear Mahesh
    Thanks for understanding.
    Dear Attitudegirl
    Welcome.
    I too hope this thread becomes that energy bar for you.
    Please approach this the contents with the knowledge that I am not an expert and that this thread was/is an attempt to try different methods to see which works.
    Speaking for myself, many times life interferes and I find myself starting all over again, frequently.
    Thanks Chitirainilavu for being constantly in the background and encouraging everyone.
    Hello to everyone.
    Take care.

4 people like this.