1. Handy Kitchen Tips that You cannot Miss : Solutions for all your Problems
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Would you like to join the IL team? See open jobs!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Liked anything that you read here? You may nominate it as the Finest Posts!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. What can you teach someone online? Tell us here!
    Dismiss Notice
  5. If someone taught you via skype, what would you want to learn? Tell us here!
    Dismiss Notice

Time management - cooking, cleaning, and exercise

Discussion in 'Spotless Kitchen' started by kkrish, Apr 22, 2012.

1. luv2smile

luv2smile Silver IL'ite

Hello kamala, My DD is 18 mths old. thanks for the correction on the words..i'll keep that in mind.
    U are my true inspiration for yard work as well.. I have never ever pitched in and helped my DH in yard work...left that completely to him as he does nothing much around the house...but you are now inspiring me try this out someday.

and All the best in finding your Mookuthi :thumbsup

2. Magee

Magee Moderator Staff Member Platinum IL'ite

hi ladies,

yesterday asusual i ensured my kitchen platform, sink & mixy are clean.
    now maintaining sofa clutter free.
    workup late done my yoga.
    as soon as my dh went to office i cleaned toilet & bathroom .
    took bath and lighted the lamp prayed.
    went to shoping
    as soon as i returned home its 2.00pm i loaded washing machine and relaxed for an hour.
    one of my cousin came to visit us,we chatted alot and made puttu for our dinner.

rest in next

magee

1 person likes this.
  3. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

Dear Manju
    Thank you for the shortcuts and tips on doing two jobs at a time. Very useful tips they are.
    I tried the Quinoa payasam and I liked it very much. Instead of sugar I added jaggery...I like sweets made out of jaggery. Thanks much for the recipe.
    Dear Megalife
    That was hilarious. My my my, you really lead a very very interesting life...never a dull moment with you I guess.
    Any thoughts of making movies with your episodes?
    Luv2smile
    With an 18-month old you will be getting lots of exercise already right. Don't worry much. Playing with her alone can burn off a lot of calories. Yes, I think your daughter will like to do yard work - give her a little cup to water the plants, etc.
    Dear Magee
    It was nice to read about your relaxed Saturday. Mine was too.
    My Dear Sabitha
    I am sure you are an expert in managing your time and it comes naturally to you.
    I wonder why, of all the days, you chose the day you had a headache to write about and then declare you are bored. Are you trying to tell me something?
    Trust you are fully recovered from your headache.
    Take care.

4. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

Good Sunday morning, Saturday evening to all…
    • This morning called all family in India and then had a late b’fast.
    • Threw one batch of laundry in the washer.
    • Completely cleaned my closet – Dumped all the stuff in my elder son’s room.
    • My younger son is coming home this Thursday; so went to his room and did a quick pick up of all his clothes. Once he comes I will go thru all to give away and throw.
    • Meanwhile dried the first batch and threw in a second batch of clothes in the washer.
    • Folded the dried clothes.
    • Went to grocery shopping.
    • Returned by 3:30-4 pm. Too tired to have coffee. Took a nap.
    • Had coffee, folded the second batch, and made a simple dinner. After reading Bhargavi’s snippet I thought I will make “chitrannam”. But my hubby said “all special food only after Chinna Ramu comes home” (BTW – hubby calls my elder son Periya Ramu).
    • After washing dishes I “shined” my sink.
    • As for next week’s recipe – I have the greens stem, some cabbage, and long brinjal. So already made my menu. I have to cook for three days, Thursday we go to pick up our Son#2 from the big city. Will stop at the Indian stores to buy some Ethnic vegetables and will decide for Friday.
    To shine sink
    Items reqd:
    Bleach (powder or liquid), scouring powder (Vim, Comet), glass cleaner, gloves, scouring pad, old toothbrush.
    IMPORTANT
    -Please protect clothes from bleach.
    -Protect hands using gloves. You can use a plastic bag also if you don’t have gloves.

(The procedure tells to fill the sink with water and bleach)
    • But I just spray some bleach and leave it for about 5 minutes.
    • With a gloved hand I scour the sink with long hard strokes giving myself a good workout in the process.
    • Rinse the sink.
    • Take some scouring powder and scour the sides and bottom thouroughly. Using the toothbrush clean the edges between kitchen counter and sink. Rinse.
    • Spray some glass cleaner on sink, faucet, etc. Wipe with a clean cloth with polishing movements.
    • The sink will be shiny.
    Below is my sink.
    new 003.JPG

Will see you tomorrow.

12 people like this.
  5. manjukps

manjukps IL Hall of Fame

Hello all,

Bit busy this weekend, will update you by today evening.

Regards
    Manjukps

1 person likes this.
  6. Megalife

Megalife Platinum IL'ite

Dear all
    Manju is absconding; she is busy cooking yummy, yummier and yummiest dishes...and she will come here and turn our mouths into a swimming pool. Her lucky DH....so the deal he struck with idilies paid off in the long run!
    If I visit Chennai....i will straight head to Manjus house without even a warning; she will definitely have something cooking!
    Mega

1 person likes this.
  7. luv2smile

luv2smile Silver IL'ite

Hello Manju KPS ,oh wow quinoa payasam...i missed it...will note down the recipe and surely going to try it out soon. Thanks for recipe details and other useful tips as well.:thumbsup

Hello Kamala, thanks for the tip of using jaggery. :thumbsup

Hello Megalife, u r hilarious as always. I would love to meet somebody like you. You remind me of my college friend. she is just busy with her life now but when she calls me we chit chat with lots of humour and nobody can stop our laughter.

well now I am just imagining how our mouths will be like swimming pool :rotfl

2 people like this.
  8. luv2smile

luv2smile Silver IL'ite

Hi friends, I had a good day today...everything went well. I did not set any big targets just wanted to have a clean kitchen . that's it.

I woke up late today as usual reason being my disturbed sleep in the night ...made quick coffee and milk for everybody and skipped b/f and we had an early lunch and we left home around 11:30 for some shopping...then DD and I alone had been to a restaurant and enjoyed well :thumbsup DH joined us late ...came home in the evening...made coffee and milk again and went out with DD again for weekly grocery shopping...

came home and made dinner, put my DD to bed and then loaded the DW and cleaned the kitchen and living area. Sink is now clean. folded some clothes...still have to arrange those in my wardrobe and have to clean my 2 bedrooms.

I plan to do it by tomorrow.

hope u all had a good day today !:)

2 people like this.
  9. manjukps

manjukps IL Hall of Fame

Hi all,

Dear Prana, Nice to know you use cloth bags for shopping.

Dear Mega, I ought to meet you. That is a wonderful piece of comedy. Though not matching yours I had a joy ride on Saturday within our locality, which I'll share in my update Now I am updating my DD all your pieces of work, right from Unannounced guest (not part II).

You are welcome anytime. Tell me if you need a pick up from airport.

Dear Kamala, Nice to know you made Quinoa paayasam. Good idea to make it with jaggery as it is healthier than with sugar.

Your sink cleaning tips is good. I was using only scouring powder or dish washing soap. Will try with bleach as well as glass cleaner.

Dear Magee and love2 smile - Nice to know your updates.

Now, coming to my updates:

Friday : Went to nearby temple with DD and DS to do archanai at 7 pm, being DD's birthday. Since PILs are not here, I didn't have to hurry back came around 7.30. Surprisingly DH called me and offered that he'll buy dinner from SB @ office food court. (You guessed it right - PILs were not here nah!). He came by 8.45, we all had dinner upstairs seeing TV. Again power problem was there the entire night.

Whatever I am typing now is not in order. Like Kamala I am sleeeeeping over the laptop( 11 PM). From Tomorrow my DS has to catch train by 5.30 itself as from 6.30 his yoga training session starts and thereafter regular school for next 3 days. My next three days alarm time is 4.30 AM.

My weekend updates coming up tomorrow.

Regards
    Manjukps

2 people like this.
  10. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

Dear luv2smile
    Nice to read about your Saturday. Hope your Sunday was just as relaxing.

Dear Manju
    You have to get up at 4:30 am? Ammadiyo!! (i could not find a good expressions in English :))

Our belated wishes to your daughter for her birthday. May she be blessed with all that is best in her life.

To everybody
    Sunday was well…a bit lazy.
    • This morning we installed extra shelves in my closet.
    • From tomorrow I will slowly put back my clothes. A good opportunity for me to purge. My goal is to give away at least half the stuff.
    • It’s only the old sarees I don’t know what to do – ideas are welcome.
    • Had a late breakfast. Then I went thru my menu and prepared stuff that I could prepare ahead.
    • In the afternoon my husband switched the TV and some movie called “photograph” was going on. So we sat thru it.
    • While watching movie we had some “venn pongal”.
    • Called some friends.
    • After coffee I completed the backyard lawn, edging and finally the weeding.
    • From tomorrow it will be just maintaining – perhaps an hour or so. I love to stay outdoors.
    Before my shower I cleaned the bathroom.
    • For the mirrors and the shower stall I use microfiber cloth.
      [*]For the commode underside I use small pieces of old T-shirts, petticoats that I cut into squares. I use and throw them away. I also use fresh pieces to mop the floor and throw them away.
      [*]I have used a cheap plastic flower vase filled with some water and shampoo mix to keep the toilet brush. The shampoo gives a good aroma…instead of the commercial cleaners.

new 010.JPG
    Made dinner of vangi bhath.
    Tomorrow – kitchen.
    All have a wonderful Monday.

4 people like this.