1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Time For Another Walk, Gracious Ladies!

Discussion in 'Saturdays with Varalotti' started by varalotti, Oct 14, 2006.

1. Varloo

Varloo Gold IL'ite

Hai girls,
    I was a bit gloomy when I logged in. But after walking with Sridhar arond Madurai and then listening to you girls' mischiefs, my mood is flying. So nice to hear of the romantic escapades. Meena, I guess you will get PMs from the whole lot, you know why.
    Dear Sridhar,
    Today's walk was also so very rejenuvating. I could not imagine lights going off in Trivandrum in the crowd- almost all the women present(irrespective of age) would have had bitter experiences. Eve teasing is highest there. When I visited Tamilnadu the first time, I just enjoyed the freedom of walking with out being self conscious and having to look out for idi ameens. And Madurai people are so very courteous, also Kovai people. I think Chennai is the worst with "enname" type of address.
    I remember my mother telling one incidence. She had taken my elder brother (he was a kid then) to Chinnamanur (mother's village). When they got into the bus to come to Madurai, a lady was sitting on the long seat. My brother refused to sit near her- the reason being that she was not wearing a blouse. He had not seen such people in Kerala. I find Tamilnadu more confortable to live in this sense, inspite of the heat, dust and water problem. Please don't get me wrong, I love my birthplace very much. But the eve teasing etc. is a woman's nightmare.
    And I feel Madurai is Pengal Oor- the ruler is our Mother Meenakshi. She gets the Mudal Mariyadai there.
    When are you taking us for the next walk, Sridhar?

2. Vandhana

Vandhana Silver IL'ite

Here I am back!

Meena ,

Looks like namma bengaluru romba kettupoyiduthu after Kamla and I left it!!:) But yes i have fond memories of the place. All the time spent hanging around commercial street and brigade road.

Sridhar,

Lovely travelogue on Madurai. I have been to Madurai once ( that stayed there for a few days)This was way back when i was in school . And was just fascinated by the temple . I remember they used to have a sound and light show about the Pallavas( am i right?) and the kannagi story. And correct me if i am wrong, but i think madurai was the one that introduced the mini idlis to the world. I still remember my first madurai shugadi pavadai . it was white with black border . Nice to go this trip with you. So where are we going next?

Vandhana

3. meenaprakash

meenaprakash Silver IL'ite

next destination - US of A!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dear Vandhana,

so, do you mean US innum kettu pogalai?? that's news to me & now I think I've a bigger task at hand. seekirame keduthiduvom.

sweetheart, don't pull Kamla to your side... you see, it was the continuation of legacy started by Kamla & you (sorry, you seem to be a good girl) .......(its like the legacy of ancient rome)..

Every one of us seem to have fond memories associated with our beautiful hang-outs. Do share something about brigades & com sts. of the US. good to write to you. Its long since I interacted with you here.

Love & regards,

Last edited: Oct 17, 2006
  4. sudhavnarasimhan

sudhavnarasimhan Silver IL'ite

Hey Girls,
    What's happening here.....ROMANCE in the air with Diwali just around the corner....my my girls, ....how come a normal Walk through Madurai, turned into ROMANTIC DRIVE with KP 's in Bangalore.
    Though i am a bangalorean , i never found out these points....Meena , i too have a gmail account, so copy to me what u plan to send to Anonymous and also if any of these KP's exist still. I will take it up on my next visit and will try to pass on this CULTURE also to our younger generation......:p , i am sure they will benefit from our experiences!

If all travelogue's include such inspiring incidents, i am sure all these places will be attractive tourist spots....a great marketing technique , no Sridhar?( and see suddenly all the responses and excitement and mischief in everyone's 'eyes'...read as 'writings'!) Shows that we women are not far behind the men when it comes to Having Fun !:tongue

5. varalotti

varalotti IL Hall of Fame

You have painted the town red!

Dear Chitra, Meena, Kamla, Vandhana, Sudha et al,

I just walked serenely on the roads of Madurai and took you along for company. But you gals simply painted the town red with your KPs, RPs and what not. Of course as promised I did not read any of the posts. So I do not know about Kissing Points or compensatory acts or keduthufying USA.

But I am going to write a book, Men are Naughty, Women are Naughtier. And I have loads of stuff for that.

This wednesday I am just giving my Diwali Malar story in the Wednesday thread as a simple gift from your friend. Read and enjoy,
    Happy Diwali
    regards,
    sridhar

6. Chitvish

Chitvish Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Hello, Sridhar !

I too was walking along like a simpleton , in our Madurai roads.
    The thoughts of your previous " emotional" posts crossed my mind. So, when Meena started, naanum disai maari poyittaen !
    We assure you, Sir, we will provide you more & more harmlessly juicy stuff for your new book !
    Love & regards,
    Chithra.

7. meenaprakash

meenaprakash Silver IL'ite

naamirukka bayamain??????

Hello Sridhar,

I agree with Chitra. Paavam, you are just 28 & men at 28 are not... really... that... very....... okay, okay, no problem, we shall hlep you out with whatever juicy stuff that Chitra has mentioned.

NOW CHITRA, WHAT DO YOU MEAN DISAI MAARI POYITTAEN???? you are surely in the right disai.... no excuses now... there's a huge crowd following you & if you disai maarify then God Help ILites!!!!!

okay now, Chitra, where did we stop ??? at French K..i..s..ss, right?????
    Oh, my god, again we are at the wrong thread. I've actually addressed it to Sridhar so we better quit this place. Let's leave this place quietly ....let's walk to our email now.

Okay, Sridhar, carry on... bye... bye.... Happy Diwali!!! We shall take care!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Don't worry!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited: Oct 17, 2006
  8. meenu

meenu Bronze IL'ite

hi meena

Dear Meena,
    What Sridhar started asa simple educational trip round his Madurai turned out to be such an enjoyable trip in Blore thanks to you. Next time I go to blore I should look out for those kp's. I am a little sad we all dint know about it in our young age,How does a person identify kps are boards kept?ha ha ha
    Wish you, deepu andprakash a very happy deepavali.
    Regards

9. Surya

Surya Senior IL'ite

Dear Sridhar,

Iam a silent reader of all your threads,but today you made me to write. I must say here, iam a maduraiite. Just read your both threads on walking around our home town. You and Chitra made me feel homesick and i cried after reading. my festival shopping, meenakshi amman temple,crowded streets,periyar busstand.......i miss madurai a lot. but i walked around all the streets while reading these threads and so happy.

I remember my college days. i did my post graduation in MKU college, outpost. my college time was 8.30am - 1.30pm. in the afternoon, frequency of bus is less.....so we 6 friends usually walk from outpost to gorippaalayam in the very hot sunny afternoon and we go to pazhamudhircholai where we get cool juice for the hot weather.

i should mention pudhumandapam and then east gate where we get our household utensils (especially ananda metals). i have seen people from the near by village come and buy utensils from shops in east gate. even our relatives when they come to madurai, they don't return without shopping in madurai. they all love to roam around the main streets.

This is my real diwali treat. Thankyou so much.

regards,
    surya.

10. varalotti

varalotti IL Hall of Fame

Thanks Surya

[FONT=&quot]Dear Surya,
    I am happy to know that [/FONT]<st1:City><st1:place>[FONT=&quot]Madurai[/FONT]</st1:place></st1:City>[FONT=&quot] has broken your silence. I also felt sorry that I made you cry during this festive season.
    Strange are the ways of our minds. When we think of a happy incident that happened in the past we invariably cry. And when we think of a sad incident in the past we smile. What gave us happiness when it originally happened make us shed tears while we are thinking about it.
    I can visualise you people walking from outpost to Goripalayam. The distance may not be great; but walking in [/FONT]<st1:City><st1:place>[FONT=&quot]Madurai[/FONT]</st1:place></st1:City>[FONT=&quot]'s sun in the afternoon should have been very difficult.
    I now have the practice of walking from my home (which is in Chinnachokkikulam, very close to your MKU college) to Nehru Aalasundara Vinaygar temple every Sunday. It takes 35 minutes. I return home by bus.
    I also remember shopping in East Gate, Ananda Metals and other shops. But do you know which utensils shop was very popular (something equal to Rajmahal and Thangamayil of these days) before "ever-silver" came? It was Aiyachamy Shop near the Central Market. There we used to get (and still get) a lot of brass utensils, cutlery and crockery.
    In the first few shops in Pudumandapam you can get the cutlery and crockery of those days. Long brass "karandis" "sattuvams" frying pans etc.
    Pudumandapam is a place where you get all odd bits and pieces. During this July I wanted to have Sherwani. The readymade one was very expensive.
    At my wife's suggestion we went to Pudumandapam and got raw silk clothe for Rs.40/ per metre and had it stitched by Super Tailors (near the AV Bridge; that super tailors anandan was my class mate in AC High School) for Rs.200 per set.
    And for ladies who want to shop for trinklets like plastic and rubber bangles, covering jewellery etc. Pudumandapam (the interior shops in the central mandapam) is the best place.
    Once my wife and I went there. I had to drive. I got a book and finished some 40 pages while she shopped for 2 hours. And she spent just about 200 Rs. and had a bag full of all these jewellery.
    Thanks Surya for coming in to my thread for the first time. Have a great Diwali,
    sridhar
    <!--[if !supportLineBreakNewLine]-->
    <!--[endif]-->[/FONT]