Tiffin Recipes for Pre-Schoolers!

Discussion in 'Delhi & NCR' started by VrittiK, Jun 23, 2012.

1. VrittiK

VrittiK Senior IL'ite

Hi,

My daughter is a pre-schooler and daily I feel confused what to pack in her lunch so that it is nutritious and can be eaten at room temperature.

The option at the end is either a parantha or idly chutney or a sandwich.

Can anyone suggest some good and interesting recipes for a kids lunch tiffin sice putting the same things makes the food very boring and she also prefers leaving it...Now we will be having the monsoon weather so anything that is good for the weather and can be taken at room temperature.

Also, some good recipes of different paranthas will also be very helpful.
    Thanks in advance.

2. superwoman09

superwoman09 Gold IL'ite

I usually give my DD breakfast in the morning, milk n chapati, and then she goes to her preschool. So in her tiffin I usually put in light snacks or a fruit. Snacks like murmura chivda, corn chivda, cheeselings, biscuits or sometimes a fruit like banana, apple, chikoo, pomogrenate, etc.

3. sgr37

sgr37 New IL'ite

I give Breadpakoras, Stuffed paratha, mix veggie rice, Aloo tikki, poori chole, Bread rolls, for my kids. Apart from this fresh juices or fruits is must for morning, as most of the schools have breakfast break before the classes commence!

Last edited: Jul 13, 2012
  4. RiddhimaT

RiddhimaT Platinum IL'ite

One thing which I wanted to ask was don't these snacks turn soggy...I mean I have tried a lot but still my parantha till my daughter has her recess is not that soft so that she can relish it....I heard that if you make the wheat dough with hot water it will make soft chapatis and they will remain soft for a long period of time...Is it so? There are many who even use curd to make the dough?

5. MansiS

MansiS Bronze IL'ite

Why don't you try making different color chillas/ paranthas like by adding beetroot juice, you can make purple paranthas or by adding haldi/turmeric, you can make yellow paranthas or spinach juice can give you green paranthas....This way the kids will enjoy eating their tiffins.... plus you can make different shapes potato cutlets like a square, a triangle , a heart, a circle etc or breadpakoras of different shapes....

Try this thing with alphabets and numbers too... I m sure your kid will enjoy being in school :) and eating their tiffins.

6. Sanchita22

Sanchita22 Silver IL'ite

You can give her sweet chilla, which is very soft and loved by kids. Here is the recipe
    Mash a banana. Add some wheat flour, sugar and little salt. Adding milk make it like the consistency of dosa batter. Keep it for half an hour. Take a non-stick pan and prepare just the way dosa is prepared.
    You can also try the following toast recipe.
    Take a bread slice, cut it into two triangles. break one egg, add a pinch of chat masala and some salt. Beat it. dip one triangle in it and let it soak the liquid, shallow fry it in little butter. Take the second one and repeat the same procedure. Give it with chutney or tomato ketchup.

7. littledaisy

littledaisy Senior IL'ite

Hi,

If you want to give paranthas, you have a variety of options:

1) Dal parantha (you can even use the previous left over dal...mash it with atta put a little salt, onion, or chat masala and make a dough..keep aside for 15-20 mins and make the parantha like any other parantha)

2) Spinach Parantha/Methi Parantha: While making the dough , add small cut spinach/ methi leaves, garlic, heeng powder, salt, ajwain and mix them and then make paranthas

3) Masala PArantha: Mix garam masala, coriander powder, salt, onion with atta and make paranthas

4) Paneer Parantha: Parantha with filling of cheese, onion, coriander leaves, salt, ajwain

5) Beetroot/ Carrot Parantha: Grate beetroot and carrot, mix with atta while making dough...enjoy!

Hope these recipes help! Remember to keep aside any parantha mixture for say 15-20 minutes to make a soft parantha.

All the best!