1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Ticketsand Vacation Sponsoring For Inlaws

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by frndlysgp, Nov 6, 2017.

1. Dishaa

Dishaa Gold IL'ite

Dear Op,

In that scenario, please don't sponsor for any one, but for your in laws air fare, you can transfer the money in their bank account.

If your SIL or relatives excluding parents (since they are ageing), if they don't have any good relation with you then no need for you to maintain it, keep it simple you give respect and love and you will get the same back else forget it.

Best wishes....

Sunshine04 and Sunburst like this.
  2. nakshatra1

nakshatra1 Platinum IL'ite

You should not pay for SIL and her family. Ideally, she should offer to pay her family's share.So that way, you don't have to ask directly.
    But if she is of the exploitative kind(which many SILs are), she will not offer to pay.
    Plus, my guess is your husband would be only too glad to pay for her family(as many brothers are).
    You can only deal with this, if your in-laws and husband are on your side.I guess as they are coming together, one person would do the booking, so ask her to do everyone's booking , and then transfer money to your inlaws, so they can give her their share,

sindmani and Sunburst like this.
  3. Sunburst

Sunburst Platinum IL'ite

When money comes into relationships, even the best of them can go seriously downhill . If you book their trip once , they and others will have the same expectations from you for future trips so better nip it in the bud. I don’t see a reason why you should sponsor for the entire battalion who are coming with your ILs. Sil is young and healthy , must be working or has a husband who is working , so they should take care of their expenditures and that includes fancy vacations . If they cannot afford it , they shouldn’t go for it. They will be getting free stay , free transportation and food at your place so that’s enough generosity from your side .
    If your ILs are old and retired, it’s ok to sponsor their trip once in a while like you would for you own parents .

Last edited: Nov 8, 2017
  4. Naari

Naari Platinum IL'ite

Now, if ILs didn’t pay for wedding or any gifts, that tells me they are not well off or can’t afford big expenses, is that so? Then you definitely have to sponsor their trip. As I said pay for Sil only if relation is good. As for Kurti etc, I would not feel bad, why expect? Dh buys for you , isn’t it?

And , I think here Sil won’t mind you sponsoring for parents since they can’t afford, what choice would they have?

Archanaanchan likes this.
  5. yellowmango

yellowmango IL Hall of Fame

Op...discuss with husband how sponsoring sil's tickets will mean you people will have to buy tickets for all future visits by relative.
    Ask him to convey to inlaws. Send the money for their tickets. Let sil buy her own tickets if she wants to travel.

All this can happen only if your husband also feels the same way.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2017
    sindmani and Dishaa like this.
  6. Sangeeta85

Sangeeta85 Gold IL'ite

I agree with naari but at the same time as u said u have 2 sil then have to think if u do for one u have to do for both the same ... u talk to ur hubby n see how much u want to spend if with tickets then outing might not be more since the expenditure if the relatives cover some then u guys can travel n see more ,shopping as well ...

7. happydheivanai

happydheivanai Silver IL'ite

If u pay for 1 next year u need to pay for another this chain will keep on going and in the last it will end in fight and it will spoil ur relationship.better transfer ur in laws flight changes to there bank account ..that is best,u don’t involve let ur husband tell this to his sister.tell her politely that while she is booking the ticket ask her to book for in laws too and tell alreAdy he transfer he money and don’t want to trouble ur sil husband...

8. BhumiBabe

BhumiBabe Platinum IL'ite

I don't know why you would be expected to cover SIL and child's ticket. It sounds like you invited your inlaws, which is understandable, and then your SIL (and kid) wants to tag along. Whether the SIL is married or single, she is still responsible for her own ticket (and her dependents). Parents and in-laws are in a separate category, because they are usually in the retired phase in life, and cannot afford an international trip.

The only time I have seen a US based person cover the flight tickets of extended family, is when they are inviting close family to their child's wedding in the US.

sindmani likes this.
  9. frndlysgp

frndlysgp Silver IL'ite

Thanks for suggestions. Its not that they cannot afford. They did bought everything for SIL's wedding. In fact they gave some land as well for SIL. Anyways i don't expect anything. The kurti was just for an example. Am totally okay to sponsor their flights and to take them around. Not at all an issue. What ever i gift for my parents am okay to buy the same to them as well and we actually buy the same gifts to both side of parents. The problem comes in only when SIL expects the same. If we buy MIL a nice watch then SIL wants the same brand next time. She goes on to say that she will pay but we know eventually what happens or some times they will say she paid MIL and of course we can't ask MIL to give us that cash. We can't even verify if she really gave. Its not that we have a lot of money. When we got married husband never had any savings and for our first investment we had only my savings to use. He is chill with that way of leaving not thinking about future. But one of us need to think on furure

10. frndlysgp

frndlysgp Silver IL'ite

Thanks every one for the suggestions. Some how explained hubby and he also agrees to the fact that they should pay for their tickets. But he finds it hard to tell them. Earlier also when we traveled in India we had to pay for the vehicle and also the hotels, they only paid some times for lunch/dinner bills. Lunch/Dinner bills I don't mind paying but for the vehicle and their own rooms i expect them to pay their share. They just said we will divide the vehicle cost, but anyways MIL said its fine the brother has already paid. I don't understand this at all. I would pay of my share if i travel with others including siblings. When two sisters can share the travel expenses why can't a brother and sister do the same thing. This is why i don't like to travel with them. All the expenses will be borne by us and in the end we will fight and for others its enjoyment.