1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Thyroid surgery because of nodules

Discussion in 'Health Issues' started by srilak, Nov 12, 2008.

1. srilak

srilak Senior IL'ite

Is there anyone gone through thyroid surgery? Why u had surgery? How many days does it take u to recover? What is the cause for surgery?

I have a big nodule on my thyroid. But it is not cancerous but eventually I may have to take it out the nodule. So my choices will be partial thyrodectomy or total removal of the gland.

If anyone out there gone through this difficult path, please share your experience. Such that I can make up my mind whether I should remove my thyroid or keep it untill I have kids.

Thank you.

2. Bhooma

Bhooma Bronze IL'ite

Hi Srilak

My sister underwent total thyrodectomy recently and since i was with her throughout I know what she went through.

The operation itself was not a very long drawn out one. But the post operative surgery was difficult . till the medicines suit you ( that is till the exact dosage is arrived at ) you do undergo lots of problems .. like terrible constipation, nausea... et al.

Unless the surgeon opens up and has a look, he wont know what it is. As the nodule will be sent for biopsy, you need to wait . In my sisters' case , the surgeon didnt want to take any chance since there were many nodules and he opted for a total thyrodectomy.

Dont think I am trying to scare you . But since you wanted the facts , I have put them down. You can read through so many articles on thyroids on the internet . But I would definitely advise you to have it removed .

All the very best

Bhooma

3. latamurali

latamurali Gold IL'ite

Dear Srilak

Even iam thyroid patient and in one state i was recommened for surjey by one doctor, but i went for second opinion, and my present endocrnologist reovred me with oral medicines

so, pls have second opinion

4. srilak

srilak Senior IL'ite

My last resort is the surgery. My nodule is not cancerous. Life long depenency on medication is scary.

I found one funny thing in India is that the doctors are very eager to remove the parts in your body untill it doen't kill the person....They don't care about after effects of every surgery........they don't give **** for the valubility and fairness of life...

Anyway, I am looking for the other alternatives...unless it doesn't kill me..It will make me stronger...someones's quote..now a days somehow I remeber this quote very often.

Thanks for the replies. God should show some mercy on me. Where are u God? I need u..

5. chameli

chameli New IL'ite

Hi,

I had total thyrodectomy recently...i suffered with thyorid probs for years....turned into hashimotos disease....biopsy came as cancer....so after surgery i thought i'm good....but turned out cancer spread totally..so radiation therapy..my life became hell after radiation...all radiation side affects, and the dosage they keep changing for synthroid....weight gain, constipation, nausea...so on so forth.....but i was told these symptoms varies from person to person....

..chameli

6. Nidhi2014

Nidhi2014 Silver IL'ite

Hi srilak

hope you still around in the forum. I hard a Q regarding your nodule, how big was it?

i have a 3.5 cm nodule that u have not yet biopsied, am keeping fingers crossed for it to be benign. I feel doctors in USA are more pro surgery and cut you open no matter how ur lifestyle changes.. Looks like that how medicine field is these days.. Hope you still have your thyroid intact :)

7. Nidhi2014

Nidhi2014 Silver IL'ite

Srilak

did you have any symptoms when the nodule was found? Why did you go to the doctor?

Your ur reply will help relieve my anxieties

thanks

Nidhi