1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

thyroid disorders

Discussion in 'Health Issues' started by arch174, Sep 7, 2007.

1. ALPA

ALPA Platinum IL'ite

Dear Arch174 and allladiesin this thread,

thank you for this thread, my younger sister has beeb suffering from Hyperthyroid for the last 3 yrs she had lost so much of weight and had become so dark. she is on medication but after a recent scan dome on her glands she has a small cyst which has to be removed, her Endroconologist asked her to do ANTIBODY TESTS AND B12.

The meds she is on has effected her a lot she gets very emotionalwe have to always try to keep her happy, we don't let her get stressed, she is a very lovable girl at heart but the meds have really effected her
    Ladies the medication does have side effects,emotinally it will strain you like how it has done to her. I amher exercise buddy, being hyper thpoid she can go to being hypotyroid so we exercise together and she eats healthy food as well. I love her so much that at times i can't see her suffer.

Latamurli please if can by PM give me the address of your Endroconlogist i would really appreciate it, i will bring to india to have her treated.

Dear IL ladiesmy heart goes out to all of you becausei know what you all are going through, astell my sister everyday i will tell you thesame i love you, you are the best and be positive you will get better.

sending you all lots of love, hugs and kisses
    alpa

1 person likes this.
  2. kavya007

kavya007 Gold IL'ite

Hi Ladies,

My husband also suffers from severe hyperthyroid. When he is not on thyroid medication he becomes very agitated and emotional easily. He has graves disease and so far they have not been able to withdraw his medication. We really wish we can completely cure the disorder.

Have any of your tried alternative medicine treatment like ayurveda or homeopathy? We tried homeopathy but did not find it useful. We are thinking of ayurveda. Right now my husband regularly does a breathing exercise called Sudarshan Kriya. It helped him to get rid of GERD and his hyperthyroid is under control. It helps him to really de-stress. Thyroid disorders get easily aggravated by stress. I have heard that Sarvangasana (shoulder stand) yoga asana is very good for normalizing the thyroid gland.

Thanks,
    Kavya.

3. ALPA

ALPA Platinum IL'ite

Dear Kavya,

my sis also suffers from severe hyper thyroid and she gets agitated very fast and getsemotional as well, any bad news we have to tell her very softly becasue it aggrevates her emotional state.
    We shall be travelling to india to do her operation to have the cyst in her thyroid gland removed so we are looking at good hospitals.

i understand what your husband isgoing through and you as well. i wish your husband well and he shall recover.

takecare dear
    love

alpa:thumbsup

4. srilak

srilak Senior IL'ite

Go to med help site...for every 10min,someone will post about their thyroid problem. So many people..appprox.200million people suffer with the beutifull gland called thyroid.

I have a small lump infront of my neck called "goiter"...I have normal hormone levels but my problem is this lump. When I talk and swallow it moves up and down.

My problem is just psycological. When I go out I feel myself everyone is looking at me........

I had biopsy for the lump. My pahologist has to give me the reults. The results will reveal whether the lump is cancerous or bengin.

Just fight with your gland....you will eventually learn how to keep up with your health..that is the lesson I learned from the past 3 months.

5. kavya007

kavya007 Gold IL'ite

Hi Alpa,

My husband's behavior is okay when he is under medication. His family members constantly used to tell me that his short tempered behavior is because of his hyperthyroid. But I really feel it is a poor excuse. We should not shield people having hyperthyroid from stress. I feel they can do better if they learn to handle stress by using yoga and meditation techniques.

Thanks,
    Kavya.

6. aproop

aproop Bronze IL'ite

Hi ladies,

My friend has been suffering from thyroid since 6 years. All of a sudden she gained weight. After taking medicines for about 3 years she was fine and tested normal. now again she started showing symptoms and last week went for a blood test. For her the problem is her eyes bulging out.
    This time she is very upset as she was trying to conceive. Now she will have to wait for another 6 months or a year.

Thanks for this thread.

love,
    Anu

7. ssubhasr

ssubhasr Silver IL'ite

Hi all

Recently I had been diagonised with hypothyroidism....and taking levothyroxine for the past 4 weeks. The doctor said my thyroid level is very very bad. (Its very very high)

Am having some problems in my eyes. Am getting some flash on my eyes whenever I look down. I checked with the eye doctor and he said my eyes are perfect and it might be because of the thyroid medicine. Am still waiting for the report from the doctor who prescribed this medicined. Is anyone having this same problem ?

What are the vegetables & fruits (or any food) we need to avoid if you have hypothyroid ?

Last edited: Dec 18, 2008
  8. friend101

friend101 Senior IL'ite

Subha,
    You may find this link useful for the foods to avoid with hypothyroidism:
    Thyroid Drugs: Frequently Asked Questions about Food, Drug and Supplement Interactions / Thyroid Disease Information Source - Articles/FAQs

Don't worry. The first time someone's diagnosed with thyroid, the thyroid TSH levels are usually high but I'm saying from my own experience that the TSH levels get controlled pretty fast with medicine. I'm also on Levothyroxine.

I think you should get your eyes checked properly by a good ophthalmologist for your eye flash problem.

Take care,
    Pooja

9. ssubhasr

ssubhasr Silver IL'ite

Thank you very much Pooja :)

10. Elvee

Elvee Gold IL'ite

I was detected with Hypo thyroid nearly 8 years back. TSH was abnormally high that time. But after regular medication its under control for the past 7 years. I take Eltroxin these days. I didnt gain weight after the medication, just maintain it though i walk or cycle 3kms everyday :( But am still satisfied cause didnt get any extra numbers in the weight machine. But is it really possible to reduce weight? If everyone have experience, please inform me. Thanks in advacne ^_^