1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

thyroid disorders

Discussion in 'Health Issues' started by arch174, Sep 7, 2007.

1. arch174

arch174 Senior IL'ite

HI everyone,
    Just realised that there r no posts in this forum...
    I have been a sufferer of thyroid problems since more than 12-13 yrs...
    Nowadays many Indian women are being detected as patients...maybe earlier the disorder was there but not detected as earlier the tests were really expensive and not easily recommended by doctors.
    I have realised with my own experience that most of us suffer from HYPO thyroidism leading to ..intolerance of cold,hair loss,menstrual problems,constipation,weight gain,lethargy..general low feeling..medically metabolism is slow leading to all above conditions...
    One of main causes is urban lifestyle...apart from natural causes ..tension.stress are main culprits
    The other disorder is HYPER thyroidism..leading to nearly reverse of the above symptoms plus palpitation,tremors etc..
    Medically it is more difficult & urgent to treat the second one..hypo is treated with thyroxin supplements for lifetime..
    Suprisingly no new advances have been made in this field for last 15 yrs or so.

In our context it is important to know that many throid sufferes assume that their weight gain is due to thyroid disorders but once treated that SHOULD NOT be used as an excuse

Medical profeesionals pl excuse..this is a patient' s pt of view..terms used may be not medically correct
    Any FB welcome

Last edited: Sep 7, 2007

2. puni88

puni88 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Hi archana,
    Even I am suffering from hypo thyroid since 7 yrs.
    I was on synthroid for long time...
    now i changed to thyronorm...
    I see lot of health changes in me...
    I wish there were some really good medicines for thyroid disorders...

Thanks,
    Punitha

3. arch174

arch174 Senior IL'ite

HI Puni,
    all medicines for HYPO thyroidism r supplements which contain thyroxin..best had on empty stomach in morning..doctors do not consider it as medicine strictly speaking but supplement...
    I shall try yoga & pranayam & give u feedback ..
    general change in attitude of not taking too much stress & letting go really helps ...after taking thyroxin most problems should vanish which does not really happen..there may be other causes for each problem..which sumtimes doctors push on thyroid gland disorders

4. eyesha

eyesha New IL'ite

hi arch174
    good to see someone speak for thyroid problem.:2thumbsup:
    i was detected as hypothyroid 3 years back.
    my TSH levels were abnormally high at that time.
    but beleive me there has been no big IMPROVEMENT in my physical condition since then.
    i feel lethargic,suffering from severe hair loss,and my enthusiasm for life has cosiderably reduced.
    i feel this disorder is a silent killer.:boo:
    no one seems to take notice,not even your doctors,how down u feel.
    but we'll have to help ourselves by taking the SUPPLEMENTS on time,and exercising a bit(walking is supposed to help a lot)
    i m trying my best to cope with it
    hope u'll also take care of yourselves.coz only the wearer knows where the shoe pinches.
    :thumbsup

5. arch174

arch174 Senior IL'ite

HI Eyesha,
    glad to read ur post..nice to share with sumone in same boat...thyroid disorders r mainly related to stress & mind..urban diseases..with 3 children to look after I can feel the stress u have to undergo..take care of ur health by eating healthy food..if u r not feel 100 % well u cannot take care of ur kids...keep sharing:goodidea:

6. latamurali

latamurali Gold IL'ite

Hai arch

Even i was detected as HYPOTHYROID 3 ys back, and suggested to consult THE BEST ENDOCHRONOLOGIST and he gave me best treatment(jus i was anmeic and treated for that and for thryoid they prescribed me NEOMERCOZOLE my T3 AND T4 IS HIGH AND TSH IS VERY VERY LOW) and i didnt get my periods for 2 yrs , i will TREMBLE lot,very exhausted,loss of memory etc etc I SUFFERED TO THE CORE

Now, iam totally releived from that, not continuing with any medicines, but i would stronly tell onething,AFTER DISCONTUINING THE TABLETS MY WEIGHT STARTED INCREASING, i went for check up and told the doctor, he just refused and asked me to be in diet and do phsical exercises, at that period i was 90 and now with hard effort i have decreased to 85kgs

Even 3 days back, i had THYROID TESTS and everything seems to be normal.THANK GOD

latamurali

7. eyesha

eyesha New IL'ite

hi latha murali,
    good to hear you r on track to good health.
    me to had suffered a lot of consequences of thyroid disorder,
    i developed severe migraine.for which i had to take medicines for a period of six months.
    during my last pregnancy,i even suffered migraine with aura, in which i felt like i was seeing a thousand tiny lights around the corner of my eyes,also in which there was temporary lost of sight,say for about 5 to 10 minutes,but believe me those few minutes seemed like eternity. i had about 2-3 episodes of such condition.after this my heart really goes out for blind people.
    anyway, everything is fine now, Alhamdulillah!!
    yes my dear exercise seems to be the answer for most of us. but the only thing is that we have to be more determined and patient.
    as you know 'our' metabolism is much slower than the normal souls we have to work twice hard to see the equal result of normal people.
    this forum is helping me regain the confidence.
    its heartening to know there r others also who have suffered and bounced back!!!!!!!
    cheers to life!!!!!!!!:2thumbsup:
    (here's a link which can help u in keeping up the good work of weight loss
    Free Calorie Counter, Weight Loss Calculator & Weight Loss Tutorial)
    byeeeeeee
    :wave

8. padmaiyangar

padmaiyangar Bronze IL'ite

dear Il members,
    I have collected some infomation from medical jounal regarding thyroid for the benefit our IL family

What is the thyroid gland?
    The thyroid gland is an endocrine gland. This means that it is a gland that manufactures certain hormones, which are chemical substances secreted into the blood-stream and act as messengers to affect cells and tissues in distant parts of your body.
    Where is the thyroid gland?
    The thyroid gland lies in the front of your neck in a position just below your Adam’s apple. It is made up of two lobes - the right and the left lobes, each about the size of a plum cut in half - and these two lobes are joined by a small bridge of thyroid tissue called the isthmus. The two lobes lie on either side of your wind-pipe.
    What does the thyroid gland do?
    The thyroid makes two hormones that it secretes into the blood-stream. One is called thyroxine; this hormone contains four atoms of iodine and for short is often called T4. The other is called triiodothyronine, which contains three atoms of iodine and is often called T3. In the cells and tissues of the body the T4 is converted to T3. It is the T3, derived from T4 or secreted as T3 from the thyroid gland, which is biologically active and influences the activity of all the cells and tissues of your body.
    What do the thyroid hormones do?
    The T4, or rather the T3 derived from it, and the T3 secreted direct by the thyroid gland influence the metabolism of your body cells. In other words it regulates the speed with which your body cells work. If too much of the thyroid hormones is secreted, the body cells work faster than normal, and you have hyperthyroidism. If you become hyperthyroid because of too much secretion of the hormones from the thyroid gland, the increased activity of your body cells or body organs may lead, for example, to a quickening of your heart rate or increased activity of your intestine so that you have frequent bowel motions or even diarrhoea. On the other hand if too little of the thyroid hormones is produced (known as hypothyroidism), the cells and organs of your body slow down. Thus if you become hypothyroid, your heart rate, for example, may be slower than normal and your intestines work sluggishly so you become constipated.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2007
  9. latamurali

latamurali Gold IL'ite

Thank u so much madam, ur message is very informative and people like me shld be aware of all these details, but TSH is another mainfactor in this , the variation in TSH will have lot of consequences and i was badly affected due to that only

Anyhow,Thank u so much for ur effort

latamurali

10. friend101

friend101 Senior IL'ite

Hi,
    I had no idea there were so many people in the same boat as me. I was diagnosed as hypothyroid almost 2 years back and was immediately put on Levothyroxine (generic brand of synthroid) 50 mcg. My two big symptoms were rapid weight gain and irregular periods. After a few months of starting medicine, I had a blood test again and my doc said that still my TSH levels were not totally normal. So he increased my dosage to 75 mcg. Meanwhile I lost weight about 10 lbs so that's good. Then after 6 months again, the doc increased my dose to 88 mcg which is working for me. I recently had a blood test and my TSH is normal now (touch wood). However I am losing lot of hair and I'm also having severe knee pain and joint pains since past few months. I don't know if they are related to my hypothyroidism but I'm beginning to worry. I take my medicine regularly, I try to eat healthy, I do biking everyday, I go for walking whenever I can. I'm trying to do my best even after working full-time. I don't know what else to do. Please help!
    Pooja