1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Thyroid at infant stage

Discussion in 'Health Issues' started by shanthi ramanathan, Dec 19, 2007.

1. shanthi ramanathan

shanthi ramanathan New IL'ite

hello
    My brother's dauhgter just 5 months baby has been detected thyroid . This was detected after she was bor n . Immediately my brother's wife was also tested for thyroid but found negative. Some doctors have told that the medicines for thyroid has to be taken throught life, but some have told that it can be stopped after 5 years . please advise me on that and our family is fully worried becuase she is a girl . is there is any treatment because of which it will be cured . at present the baby is taking medicines.

2. Aadhusmom

Aadhusmom Gold IL'ite

Hi Shanthi,
    I am a ped. Usually if a baby is found to have thyroid hormone deficiency at birth medicines (Eltroxin) are required for life. It is only 1 small tablet with no side effects and it is ABSOLUTLELY essential that you dont stop it because it is needed for the baby's growth and brain development. Please dont worry so much. There is no reason why a girl on thyroxine cannot marry or have children and otherwise be normal. Do let me know if you need any further info.

Vanathi.

3. shanthi ramanathan

shanthi ramanathan New IL'ite

Hello vanathi

thanks for the immediate reply . now i am less worried however i will let you know the medicines that have been given to the child . in this context i want to give you more inofrmation like they had shown to endocrinilogists at manipal hospital , bangalore and test was now done in the 5th month . in the test the the level has come little lower and because of which the doctor has reduced the dosage to half . And asked to report after 6 weeks for check up.

bye and have a nice day.

4. Aadhusmom

Aadhusmom Gold IL'ite

Good that she is responding. Do let me know the actual values and medicine and I can tell you if its alright. Is she being seen by a ped endo at manipal Hospital?

Vanathi.