1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Thumb sucking of 11 months old

Discussion in 'Infants' started by prana, Mar 24, 2010.

1. prana

prana IL Hall of Fame

Girls,

My DD is 11 month old.She sucks her thumb from her 4th month.Still she continues it.My relatives and neighbors saying that it would spoil her teeth and blah blah....And they are showing some examples too:hide:.

I know this is natural but my fear is that what ll happen if she continues it longer....How I get rid of this problem....please give some suggestions.

She used to suck before she gets into sleep,
    (not during the sleep),when hungry...not while she plays with her toys or someother time.Please guide me.

2. Riyasmommy

Riyasmommy Silver IL'ite

Prana, our 28 month old still sucks her thumb and we have not yet made a conscious attempt to stop her. We don't know how to discourage her without using any 'harsh' methods. I checked from her pedi and she said she wouldn't worry about it yet. Riya was born sucking her thumb, all her ultrasound photos showed her sucking her thumb in the womb, so I am not sure what to do either. I am not too worried, but I know how it is in India, I would have had the same issues if were livign there. We are goign to take her to a pediatric dentist for her regular check ups and see what the dentist says.

I am all ears for any tips shared here as well.

Raj

3. AnithaA

AnithaA Bronze IL'ite

Maybe gently remove the thumb and give some other chewable toy or food? Nilu doesn't suck her thumb but puts her forefinger in her mouth. This is what I am trying......it works at times, and to no avail sometimes.

4. Riyasmommy

Riyasmommy Silver IL'ite

Anitha, we tried doing that but it didn't work for us. :( We even tried to intro pacifiers when she was 4 months old, as they are comparably easier to discourage off of than a thumb, but she used to spit pacis the minute we would put in her mouth!

Raj

5. pretty

pretty New IL'ite

hi,
    my son is having the same habit from 3months and now he is 6yrs old. i tried all methods and nothing worked out.he sucks only when he goes to sleep .when i asked a pediatrician he said its common and nothing to worry.as she is too young now try putting mittens .when they grow it becomes more difficult for you and pull it out whenever she puts.actually there is a syrup to apply which is bitter in taste my cosister used for her daughter having the same habit.ill find it out and let u know .
    bye,
    pretty.:)

6. prana

prana IL Hall of Fame

Raj,

Thats why I am worried.If this habit stays longer, what would do.If anybody critisis her about this when she grows up(here people do), she would felt bad right.But the good thing is, she is doing this when she is with me that is whenever I carry her,kiss her,make her sleep...if she is with others she wont do it even with her father.I donno why she does like this....So yesterday we both decided that he would make her sleep in the night.I think it would help :)....let see.....

And I read some of the threads started by you in infants forum...I got some good information from them :thumbsup....thanks for starting those...

7. hs2009

hs2009 Silver IL'ite

DD started sucking her thumb when she was 3 months old, my doc advised me to stop it completely. It was dishearting at that time as she was whaling with her hands in mittens. But very cleverly she identified her thumb in the mitten. Then I bought six pairs of socks for her hands( might sound funny). On top of her mittens I used to make her wear this. One pair for each day/ or change if dirty, this was only for hands.

It was tough but in 2 weeks time she forget about it. Dont know if this can be applied to older children.

8. prana

prana IL Hall of Fame

Anitha,

Thanks for the reply.Sometimes I do that too..But while making her sleep, it is not working.

9. prana

prana IL Hall of Fame

Pretty,

Thanks for the reply.hmmm applying sour surup, I too think about it, but I dont want my little girl under going these kind of things...But if it is good for long run yes I have to do that too..:bonk

10. prana

prana IL Hall of Fame

Himani,

Thanks for sharing.Even we tried these mittens at her 4th month, but the poor child cried a lot.I couldn't see her crying like this, so I removed it :rantand after that we haven't used it.If I use this now, she would simply remove it and give very big smile and 'proud look' :rotfl