Through The Looking Glass

Discussion in 'Education & Personal Growth' started by Oriana, Sep 16, 2015.

Tags:
  1. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

Oriana, unable to open the link on "how to tell a 10 year old ...".

2. HemalathaRangar

HemalathaRangar Silver IL'ite

@oriana, tis topic drag me ovr here.... niz topic.. something different... lik it

3. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

What kind of day did you have today?
    image.jpg

I got this on my Facebook wall today from a dear friend and had to share it here! Attitude is everything. My read for the month :)

3 people like this.
  4. Gauri03

Gauri03 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

If you liked that you will like this nugget of wisdom from Seneca.

"Two elements must therefore be rooted out once for all, - the fear of future suffering, and the recollection of past suffering; since the latter no longer concerns me, and the former concerns me not yet." - Letter 78, Letters from a Stoic, Seneca

Just saying it out loud helps me focus on the now. I've been doing a lot of reading on Stoicism lately. Anyone interested can find an easy introduction to Stoicism here -- http://www.amazon.com/Guide-Good-Life-Ancient-Stoic/dp/0195374614

1 person likes this.
  5. justanothergirl

justanothergirl IL Hall of Fame

6. Oriana

Oriana New IL'ite

Dear @?,

Where did I disappear?
    I was not busy following the twitter feed of Pope Francis visit to US or Donald Trump's antics. I discovered something, someone! People discover kundalini poses, spirituality and other lunar aspects of life at this stage but I discovered "Sophie Kinsella". Wow, wow, wowwo!

Read her "Undomestic Goddess" and "Can you keep a secret" back2back for 2 days as if my life depended on the outcome of her ditzy but adorable heroines. Loved her breezy writing and humorous books.

Will catch up with the posts soon.

? : Someone come up with a name for our group. I'm drained coming up with a name for my avatar.

7. Oriana

Oriana New IL'ite

If neurites had cameo run of pencils, shades and borders then why should this thread miss illustrations. In fact this is going to be more dark and mordant humour. Against the back drop of @EiffelTower, puzzled @Purrs and @Throbs at the antics of our @AhemAhem.

Cartoon of the day

IL.jpg

3 people like this.
  8. Oriana

Oriana New IL'ite

Alright folks, now that we are back in the business and "sticky", let's roll our sleeves, perch our glasses and hitch serious talk here.

Satsa, here is the link to corrected page: How to tell 10-year old that she has HIV

The article recounts in flashes survival, adoption and fostering of JJ (HIV victim). Should a ten-year old be entitled to know her medical condition? Would the foreknowledge of one's mortality ease medical administration? On a side-note, does that strain parental trust? The article touches on few of these points.

Personally afflicting by a life-threatening disease, I'd like to be made aware of the true nature of my debilitating condition so that I can plan accordingly. But, at the age of 10, even though a child grasps the severity of the situation will she co-operate or withdraw is difficult to say.

9. Oriana

Oriana New IL'ite

Reminder: The super-moon, the blood-moon, the vampire-moon, what-moon the media has dubbed the spectacular event is THIS WEEKEND. Ladies, fix your lens and post astounding pictures here. I live in a city where I've not seen a twinkling star in 10 years because of light-pollution.

(you've no idea what it is to live with no stars when you gaze out of your balcony)
    (hate you yankees!)

2 people like this.
  10. Gauri03

Gauri03 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Best viewing hours here on the West coast are between 12:45am-1:25am. Not very kid friendly but I'm going to try to wake the kiddo to see it. Just hope the skies stay clear. There are a bunch of viewing parties around town, but I don't have the energy to pack up two sleepy little ones and get out at that hour just for a better view. .