Through The Looking Glass

Discussion in 'Education & Personal Growth' started by Oriana, Sep 16, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Oriana

Oriana New IL'ite

If we have glorified "like" to transcend its featured role "to assent" by adding extensions as:

Like: I read the post
    Like: I saw the post
    Like: I liked you better than the person above you
    Like: Since there are 20 likes already, must be resoundingly pertinent and pretend as if I understood -> "Like"
    Like: Now you better come and "like" my post

Can "dislike" be inversely abused to express shade of emotions, few genial, few not-so-genial

Dislike: I could not read your post, in a hurry
    Dislike: I cannot respond to your post, in a hurry
    Dislike: Reminder that you did not return my book borrowed last week
    Dislike: Trying to check if I can like + dislike together
    Dislike: I noticed that you "liked" the post of my enemy , go here is one "dislike" for you
    Dislike: I received a mail that if I "dislike" 10 posts, I'll be granted one free "like"; Nothing personal, OK.

3 people like this.
  2. Oriana

Oriana New IL'ite

I'd like to hear specifics on this line of thought.
    I hold similar outlook on education during formative years, will post later.

3. Gauri03

Gauri03 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Admittedly, I'm not a big giver of 'likes'. It isn't because I have exacting standards. It just doesn't occur to me to 'like' something. More often than not I mentally appreciate a post and move on. I don't use FB so I'm not habituated to the idea of 'likes'. But I've been making an effort to make myself click that button more often.

These days, I 'like' posts when

- they make me smile/laugh
    - I find my self nodding in agreement
    - I find myself impressed by a line of thought I hadn't even considered
    - (Only on 'Neurons') someone takes a correct approach to a puzzle

Now I don't know if I'd ever dislike a post. It seems like an invitation to many bruised egos and countless heated PMs.

1 person likes this.
  4. Oriana

Oriana New IL'ite

JSYK: I'll be away for 96 hours and back on monday.
    Why am I telling this?
    I've a splendid history here @IL that if I'm away for a day than you can safely assume that I jumped off the cyber cliff and killed the hysterical virtual-ego.

(real reason: you guys are no different to any of my "real-life" friends to whom I drop a note if I away)

4 people like this.
  5. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

6. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

@justanothergirl, JAG I think you and others here might find this interesting though not directly related to sifting of information topic. When the Computer Takes Over for the Teacher - The Atlantic

I read and re-read the article and both as a teacher for young kids and a yoga teacher and wonder if teachers are now needed not for knowledge sharing but to teach the human values and aspects of society.

PS: I do have many friends who see the technological advancements and agree that teachers should just be just facilitators.

3 people like this.
  7. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

Very interesting topic, Sabitha. Blended learning is a concept that has been discussed since at least the last 7-8 years now. I certainly find it useful in teaching German to my students. I totally agree that there is such a wealth of info on the net, that books are becoming superfluous. Am sure this is going to be the way forward. Do I like it or not? Well, nothing wrong with it, but I am not so sure that teachers in the classroom can be totally replaced.

1 person likes this.
  8. Oriana

Oriana New IL'ite

People popping in and popping out like evanescent particles in quantum space with no 3-week notice that I usually demand for visiting my horrendous abode, finally chucked them all out!

(Sunday, a day out just for me!)
    (peace and sweet home finally)

Logged in and noticed the thread was missing!
    Wanted to upbraid Gauri: "See this is what happens when you bring a discussion between wife and husband , moved over to marital forum"
    Or my trailer of "Jungle Book" alerted the marshalers to promptly action and move to "Movie forum"

STICKY?! You mean glued to the front page of the forum and I don't have to worry about traversing page #4 few weeks from now. Thank you so much whosoever recommended or actioned.

I need 7 hours to clean up some mess and log back in.

A forward I received this morning: Stay in Queue

Someone asked me what is the moral of the video.
    How evident : "Fill online!". Do you see any other moral?

P.S: Who is following Rugby World Cup or who is watching the Pluto mountains live coverage?

9. Oriana

Oriana New IL'ite

I had to read the article twice — once as a learner and once as a guide to grasp if the dawn of digital education is foregone conclusion. Thanks for the article which elucidated on the nuances of "blended" and "flipped" learning mode. With "syllabus" and "homework" "exams" replaced by "worksheets", "plans" and "assessment", I'm highly convinced that the brick-and-mortar institution will largely be made obsolete by the btye-and-moodle platform. It is inconceivable for adults who graduated in the traditional educational silos during turn-of-the-century when web-enhanced tutorials were non-existent or embryonic. But I cannot see why this rally of mixed or dominant mode of digitalized learning is not viable today with kids flipping laptops and phablets.

I'm all for pro-technology in our lives and that "pro-" doubles as proliferation of technological devices and models that enables any individual for unbounded yet paced learning. Hereunto I insert Shanvy's point on clipping syllabus. Would it impact student's learning curve? I'm not familiar with the established tools in schools and colleges but my observation stems from professional backdrop where I cannot remember when was the last time I attended a guided training from an "expert". This bleed of technology adjunct into classroom walls is definitely a positive change even in mainstream teaching. Relegating the role of teachers as unitary and focal "experts" to on-demand "facilitators" should indeed be a welcome change from the stuffy style of teaching.

Leveraging on popular terminology quoted in wiki and not confusing with my invented coingae:

I vote for "Flex"/"Online Driver"
    Srama, thanks for bringing this article up for discussion.

1 person likes this.
  10. Oriana

Oriana New IL'ite