Through The Looking Glass

Discussion in 'Education & Personal Growth' started by Oriana, Sep 16, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Gauri03

Gauri03 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

What ho! Just this evening I was watching an episode of Jeeves and Wooster, barely paying attention to Aunt Dahlia and her posse putting up one of their over the top melodramatic plays when a character in the play says,

"You have to tell us, Mother. Who is Oriana's father?
    - Never!
    - Yes, yes! Who is my father? Do you think l can go on living with this hanging over me? lt's a living hell - l tell you!"

Me: Did she say Oriana?
    H: What?
    Me: Go back! Go back!
    H: fumbles with remote
    Me: She did say Oriana! *big grin*
    H: So?
    Me: nevermind

Poor man kept giving me quizzical glances throughout the adventures of Barmy Fungi Phipps. Imagine getting so excited about a name in a play on a TV show! :biggrin2:

4 people like this.
  2. Oriana

Oriana New IL'ite

The rotation of the earth on September 27th is rare and will photographed in amazing angles to be tweeted and tumblred for days. But today when I woke up to 7 cross-continental posts clustered as pleiades on TTLG landscape, I feel I'm on the best spot on earth to witness such fold-out.

Morning, along with lightly salter butter and lighter things to discuss ..
    Here is Disney's Jungle Book Trailer (2016)

The first thing I checked is voice over for Sher Khan provided by Idris Elba.
    The 1967 Jungle book movie had the drawl of one of my favourite stars: George Sanders in Jungle Book (1967)

To anyone (assuming most here) who grew up in the last decade of the past century there was no scuffle for the remote at Sunday 9 AM because everyone tuned with no contention to "Jungle Jungle Baat Chali Hai" (There were no ringtones back then!)

5 people like this.
  3. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

1 person likes this.
  4. Oriana

Oriana New IL'ite

If narcissus was alive today, instead of falling in love with his own reflection he would have searched his name in Google and developed identity crisis with 169,000 entries bearing his name in digital vaults. I searched for references of "Oriana" in general domain and the first entry that pops up is MV Oriana and equally mighty predecessor SS Oriana in the family pedigree of P&O Cruises.

Sharing space with an Italian journalist, British liner, Norwegian Bakery selling cupcakes since 1970, street in Lynfield-Auckland-NZ, and still have my trembling mantle in one piece to uphold the repute of my brethren, do you know what that does to a person? And now you are telling my father is unidentified. Holy ho! One at a time lady.

2 people like this.
  5. Oriana

Oriana New IL'ite

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Gentle reminder: I'm not "liking" any posts in this thread (/general in IL)
    I've had a baffling experience in IL few months back when someone utterly misconstrued my notion of "like" as hanker for virtual candy. I know I'm among friends who can put up with my quirks.

P.S: Sworn-off from "like", I can assure that I'm still swell with vocals to compensate for my admiration to members here.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

4 people like this.
  6. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

Hey Oriana! A great thread. Finally here's a source of information which is sieved from the stuff that rightfully belongs to the garbage dump (or my compost heap)! So hopefully I can stop calling myself an Ignoramus in due course of time.

I don't read the newspapers for fear of reading stuff that ruins my days. Thanks for giving me links to read that will not make me pull my hair, chew my nails, drive me to anti-depressants and toss and turn all night long.

@Shanvy, thanks for that link! Indeed, it won't be a bad idea at all if they started doing this to join all the rivers in the country, so the problem of water shortage is sorted out at least to a small extent. However, it is high time that rain water harvesting is made compulsory all over the country with subsidies from the government kitty.

1 person likes this.
  7. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

Ouch! At that rate, I should be literally 'begging' for virtual candy. I 'like' posts to indicate:

1. I genuinely like them
    2. I agree with them

In any case, shall continue undeterred with my policy .

3 people like this.
  8. sreeram

sreeram IL Hall of Fame

@satchitananda, thank you for the like.

9. sreeram

sreeram IL Hall of Fame

@oriana, i never missed to watch jungle book, the only program tat was telecasted for kids at tat time as far as i remember.

@shanvy n @satchitananda, it wld be boon to all especially farmers if the possible rivers are joined. The significance of rain water harvesting need to be explained to t locals clearly by t govt.

2 people like this.
  10. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

@satchitananda actually tn has a rule of rain harvesting made must. the comedy or parody whatever you want to call it..take my complex for example..we do have rainwater harvesting, but just namesake to show the officials who come to check for giving a completion certificate. there should be stringent measures than just laws..we are known to work around these laws..people don't realise these are for their own benefit. planting trees or recycling water..everything gives back in multifold after the initial investment..

i don't remember the society but it was in news a few years back for collecting the whole rain water water in their sumps and for not having faced water shortage in the water crisis that mumbai faced..can't get that video clipping.

instead of relying wholly on the government, apartments could go for that as a civic responsiblity too..

hmm..awareness is there, but why should i work hard while everybody enjoys the fruits of my labor is what goes in each person's mind..collective cooperation(!!!) a dream...

3 people like this.