Through The Looking Glass

Discussion in 'Education & Personal Growth' started by Oriana, Sep 16, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Harper Lee, author of To Kill a Mocking Bird, dies at 89.

One of the few authors I read that my kids also read. A literary land where my kids whose childhood is entirely different than mine, and I, could connect. Human tales are universal, but the masala of a tale woven around then often local to childhood. Hence, the connect even more precious.

Each has a special copy of the book, that has been to many places with them.

R.I.P.

3 people like this.
  2. omsrisai

omsrisai IL Hall of Fame

1 person likes this.
  3. vani098

vani098 IL Hall of Fame

Impressive. Very useful thread. We all miss Apj Abdul kalam garu

4. Jey

Jey Administrator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

World's most isolated tree with no other tree in 250 miles of any direction. It is in the middle of the desert. But it bloomed beautifully in spring every year. No one first understood how. But, later people found out how.

isolated.jpg

It is because the root go an amazing 100 feet deep to reach water!

I was introduced to this tree as a memorable example of the idea that "Even in the harshest climates, we can survive, IF our roots are deep".

chillbreeze, rudrakshi and jskls like this.
  5. Gauri03

Gauri03 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Didn't this poor tree get killed after being struck by a drunk woman?

The Most Isolated Tree in the World Was Killed by a (Probably Drunk) Driver | Smart News | Smithsonian

Imagine the odds of hitting the only tree in a 250 mile radius!! There is no dearth of fools on earth. Reminds me of the quote by John Muir. He said it for the Redwoods in California but is applicable to any natural wonder.

"Through all the wonderful, eventful centuries ... God has cared for these trees, saved them from drought, disease, avalanches, and a thousand straining, leveling tempests and floods; but he cannot save them from fools -- only Uncle Sam can do that."

He was responsible for the creation of the American National Park system.

jskls likes this.
  6. Jey

Jey Administrator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

7. Cimorene

Cimorene Platinum IL'ite

Jey,

This thread is very old.
    We renovated, rebranded, repackaged and reddited (did we do that?) the idea and content into Through The Looking Glass

Gauri03, can these recent posts be copied across to sticky 'Looking Glass', and close this thread perhaps?

8. Gauri03

Gauri03 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Read a frightening statistic - For the next few years, from this month on, 1 million Indians will turn 18 every month!! 1 million educational opportunities, 1 million jobs! This is the single largest concentration of young people in any nation in human history! Either this will be greatest opportunity for India to turn itself around or an implosion that will fragment Indian society forever. I shudder to think of the possibilities both good and bad.

Last edited: May 4, 2016
    Cimorene, jskls and Jey like this.
  9. Cimorene

Cimorene Platinum IL'ite

If we disregard that fringe tally of someone's aunty's neighbour's daughter, the topper of her class, who stayed back in India to pursue opportunities, what is the trend these days? A decade ago, good proportion of students from prestigious colleges flew abroad after graduation. Another high percentage travelled abroad on work and settled.

In that 1 million turning 18, I'm curious to know how many from reputed establishments will reside in India to celebrate their 23rd birthday. I've no idea of the migration trend these days. A decade ago, half the graduating class would find themselves chomping at Wendy's and commingling at Super Bowl soirees in a year.

10. MonaSiddiqui

MonaSiddiqui New IL'ite

Love this. I totally agree!