1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Thriller: The Ultimate Choice

Discussion in 'Stories (Fiction)' started by Tamrakshar, Jan 25, 2020.

1. Tamrakshar

Tamrakshar Platinum IL'ite

Thanks Mistt for your comment! It feels good to know that you are having a keen interest in the story.

2. Tamrakshar

Episode 43

Rajan, definitely loved his life. But, for the first time, he had realised that he loved his revered God, Lord Shiva, even more. Also, he had full confidence that Lord Shiva would save him, as he had been doing all the time, in the final test, too. Despite his firm belief in God, he asked,

"And what do I have to do to become that?"

The facial expressions of the guru indicated that he was pleased. In a rather calm voice he said,

"Don't worry my boy! You will get a satanic book, which will explain everything in detail, and I will be there to perform the satanic rituals. But before that, I will explain you the steps that you will have perform at the beginning very briefly.

Firstly, you will have to destroy all the idols and the religious books of your false Gods with your own hand. You will never again take their name or keep any sign of them in your house. As you are not in your home now, we will provide you one statue of Lord Shiva, and a few copies of your religious books.

You will have to break the statue with a sledgehammer. Then you will desecrate the broken pieces by urinating on them. Then you will ignite the religious books. Finally, you will dance on the ashes, and cry, "Shaitan ki jai ho" ten times. Then......."

"STOP! Please stop!" Rajan could not tolerate any more. He covered his ears with his both hands.

"What? What happened?" The guru asked in a rude voice.

"Please forgive me Guru ji! I can't hear it anymore. I can't give up my religious beliefs. I can't become a member of your cult. Please forgive me."

The jaws stiffened, and the eyes again flashed, the Guru ji again looked scary. In a mournfully scary voice he said,

"Hmm! I knew your answer! However, I gave you a chance to live. You refused. Now, pray to your false God for your survival. You may go now."

With drooping shoulder Rajan left the room.

------------------------------------------------------

"That's it! You may take your gears off."

The masked instructor, who was most probably a Russian, as Archana guessed from his accent, announced, as it was 5 PM. Ranjan was also present at that place. He shook Archana's hands, and in a congratulatory tone said,

"Well done Archana! What you have done is amazing! Is shooting in your gene? I have never seen someone who has never seen a gun in her life doing such an incredible progress in such a little time!"

After trying hard nonstop for 5 days Archana, at last, scored 7. This score had no similarity with the shooting competitions. The distance was 50 meters, and the bull's-eye was much bigger. However, there were circles indicating scores.

Archana had never thought of holding a gun in her life. In her first day of training, she was scared to the core hearing the sound of shots, even though she was provided with the best of ear plugs in the market. The jerks after shots shocked her, she had pains in her elbow and shoulder.

No one, as far as she knew, had ever wielded a gun in her family. She got a feeling of averse even by the mere sight of a gun. The only positive thing that helped her was her ability to aim. Whether it was with sling or just her hand, she had been pretty good at hitting targets. During her childhood, she killed a lot of crows with her slingshot, and brought down a lot of fruits by throwing stones.

"Best of lucks for tomorrow!" Both the instructor and Ranjan wished her before setting off for their destinations.

They left in such a hurry that Archana could not ask the real question. The question was what would be her task tomorrow? But what to do? Archana followed the masked man who never spoke.

"Give me your gun. I will either shoot the SP or I will shoot myself." 3 days of wait for mere paperwork had maddened Suresh so much that indeed he would have taken such a drastic step.

This delaying ploy of the SP had annoyed the team of Ravenous Eagles to the core, but as matter of policy they were holding their nerves. But, their customer was equally very important to them. Roy understood that there had to be some unholy alliance between this notorious agency and a very powerful minister in the state. The SP might have compromised his position to give undue advantage to the notorious agency.

"Yes Sir, I am also disgusted. We can't wait anymore, as the competition is in the final stage. In the final stage, our clients maybe killed."

"When is the final going to happen?" Khan asked in a very worried face.

"That we don't know, it will be notified anytime. But, I can guess, it will be very soon."

"I have spoken to the SP so many times, but this guy is absolutely spineless. He is a promotee, and we have enquired that his reputation is not good. He is toeing the line of his masters."

"I can't wait anymore. I will call the CM." Suresh was in a desperate mood, and he followed his words by action.

Within 10 minutes, he could contact the CM of Andhra. As Suresh was an influential person in the state, the CM knew him. He gave him a patient hearing for 5 minutes. After that the CM said,

"I will call the WB CM, but you must share the evidence of the illegal activities with their police if they ask for it."

Suresh agreed. He knew the Ravenous Eagles guys didn't want to share their incriminating evidences with the police, as that might have hampered their trade secret. That's why they had been trying to implicate the hellish agency indirectly. But, that ploy seemed to have not worked.

But, this was a matter of life and death for his dear friend and his wife. So, Suresh pressurised Roy. Roy was in a dilemma, but finally he agreed to share some screenshots of the illegal activities with the local police. But, he also said that he would never divulge the method by which they got them.

Within half an hour, the phone of the PA of the Andhra CM came asking to share evidence. Roy had no other option but to share some of his secret files and screenshots. After an hour or so, a phone call from the Andhra CM came to Suresh.

"The game is on. Your permission will come within couple of hours. Be ready, and rescue Rajan and his wife. Best of luck!"

There was a pandemonium in the room, and everyone got busy. However, the spirit was slightly dampened when nothing happened in the next two hours. It was around 2 PM. Everyone was waiting from a phone call from the local OC. Meanwhile, they had finalised the blueprint for their operation.

At 2-30 Khan called the local OC. He was informed that the permission would come any moment. When it would come, he would inform him, and would come to help them with his police force.

"I think this slippery OC, Mukherjee has already informed the criminals. They might have fled." Suresh apprehended.

"No, Sir! They have not. Our spies are constantly monitoring the premises. Also, they will not flee until the competition is over. A hell lot of money is at stake. They will definitely finish the reality show. But, we have to strike before the final event." As Roy was saying this, a message came in his phone. As he read the message, his brows took the shape of a bow, and his jaws stiffened.

Everyone noticed it. Suresh asked,

"Any breaking news?"

"Yes, extremely serious in nature! The competition is going to happen at 4 PM today. I am sure it will last around an hour, and I am damn sure the permission will not come before it ends."

"We can't wait anymore. Let's start." Khan stood up followed by everyone in the room.

"What if the local police try to prevent us?" Srinivas struck a note of caution.

"That we will see." Khan knew every second had become vital now onwards.

To be continued on Monday night

Last edited: Dec 11, 2021
  3. Mistt

Mistt IL Hall of Fame

@Tamrakshar I knew this is complete fictional story still I was wishing to Rajan had to Say No to whatever said by that guru while reading today's episode. I hope Khan and others will stop the final stage before something bad happen to Rajan and Archana. I hold my thoughts now and wait for Monday to read next episode.

Tamrakshar likes this.
  4. Tamrakshar

Yes Mistt, wait for Monday to know what happens to them. Thanks!

5. Riverstream

Riverstream Bronze IL'ite

It is good to know that the investigation team will get into action. Very good narration, Tamrakshar. :thumbsup:

Tamrakshar likes this.
  6. Tamrakshar

Thanks RS for your feedback and encouragement!

Riverstream likes this.
  7. Tamrakshar

Episode 44

Yesterday's laborious and strenuous work took a heavy toll on Archana's mind and body. She was lying on her bed in a supine position with left forehand placed on her forehead. Though her eyes were closed, the fluorescent light was too bright for her comfort. She wished to switch it off, but she had no control on the switches of her freaking room. It was operated from outside by the Joker's men.

A sense of fear and anxity was gripping her mind. Even though she had learned how to control her mind in the last few months, this evening her mind was acting like an unbridled mad horse. All kinds of fears were coming to her mind. She had had a lot of problems with Rajan a few months back. But now, she was equally worried about him. She was thinking about her children. If she died, how would they grow up?

At 8 PM, suddenly, the LED monitor was switched on, and whom did she see? It was none other than the frightening, frigging face of the Joker. However, there was no laugh in his voice. In a rather cold voice the Joker said,

"You know what Archana? I have always liked you. You have been my favourite participant since the inception of this year's show. But, I am extremely sorry to inform you that we have arrived at the final stage. This will happen tomorrow. You will be informed about the exact timing later on. But, I am afraid that your life is at stake once again. You will face the toughest job in your entire life tomorrow. And, if you fail, you will be killed."

It was true that the Joker had helped her. This disgusting character might have subjected her to all kinds of torture during her stay in this house, but it was also a fact that without his help she wouldn't have passed the fourth stage. So, hiding her hatred, she said politely,

"Dear Joker Sir, I am indeed indebted to you. Without your help, I wouldn't have survived. Can I get a similar help for the final test too? I will be grateful to you for the rest of my life."

"It's not like that Archana. I didn't help you much. It was your will power and survival instincts that sailed your boat. As far as the final test is concerned, we have done our part by training you hard. It would have been better, had we got more time. But, as a matter of fact, certain constraints have forced us to do things hurriedly. However, I think you are well prepared to appear at the final test.

As far as helping is considered, your job is difficult, but not impossible. You have practiced with static objects only. But, in the final test you will have to deal with moving objects. That's your ultimate test, to do something which you have never done before, and which you will never do after. So, stay focused."

The LED monitor went off, and suddenly the door opened. Ranjan entered the room along with a masked man who brought dinner.

Archana's face gleamed slightly watching Ranjan. This guy had been very amicable in the recent days. He had informed her about Rajan.

"How is my husband?" She shot the question in hurry coming close to Ranjan.

"Wait on. I will tell you the answer, but before that please take a look at the dinner. I have chosen it personally for you. Tell me whether you like it or not." Ranjan grinned from ear to ear.

Even though the dinner was not a consideration for her at the moment, she had to take a look at the dinner just to show respect to Ranjan. It was a simple veg meal comprising puri, fried rice, alu gobi, palak paneer, alu jeera, daal makhni and gulab jamoon. All the items were her favourites. She said,

"Thank you! But, pray answer my question. Is he doing well?"

"Yes, yes, yes! He is doing very well. Don't worry about him. Think about yourself only. You have reached a stage where focussing is extremely important, and I am afraid that your own life should be the most important thing for you." Ranjan shrugged his shoulders in a rather queer way.

"My husband's life is equally important to me. I will have to save both." Archana bluntly retorted.

"Okay, okay, you will do that, and if luck favours you will be successful. But, at the moment please enjoy the dinner. I know that by now your mental strength has increased so much that you will not be perturbed if I say that this maybe your last dinner if you don't perform well tomorrow."

Archana was shocked for a moment, but quickly she recovered. Indeed, her mental strength had increased manifolds in the last few months. It was not as if what Ranjan had just said was a breaking news to her, because she had been both mentally and physically prepared for this eventuality since her arrival at this hellish place. As the sense of practicality replaced her fear, she asked once again,

"Can I get any tips from you which will help me to pass the final test?"

Ranjan suddenly got conscious of the environment. His eyes kept rolling in the room for few seconds, he even constricted his throat, and coughed a few times. Finally, before leaving the room he said,

"Sorry girl, I can't help you. I don't know what will be the exact nature of the test. My job was to teach you long distance shooting in a short time. I tried my best, and you gave your best. Now, it's your luck and your ultimate choice!"

Ranjan left the room hurriedly. The door closed automatically leaving Archana alone in the room. Archana threw herself onto the soft bed. She knew the masked man would come after half an hour to take the food table. In other words, she had to finish the dinner within half an hour. But, food was not a thing that she felt any attractions at the moment. She laid on the bed with her palms on her eyes. She was contemplating all the utterings of the Joker and Ranjan.

Rajan knew from the first day of his arrival in this deadly place that there were dogs in the compound, as he heard their barking. He had also seen a few of them while doing outdoor jobs. Besides the doberman pinschers, he saw rottweilers and pitbulls. But, all of them were very well trained and they didn't make unnecessary sounds. Rajan's current room is completely soundproof, but whenever he went to toilet last night, Rajan heard sounds of dogs, and from the sound it was evident to Rajan that they were agitated. It was already 6 AM, and no body had come to Rajan's room. This didn't look good to him, either.

While, he was sitting idly on the bed with slightly confounded expressions on his face, the LED monitor suddenly switched on on its own and the disgusting face of the Joker appeared on it. He said,

"This is our last day of the competition for this year's Survivor show. At 4 PM in the afternoon the final will be held. So far, you have shown tremendous improvement. No body ever imagined that you could reach to the final! But, you did it. Now, it's time to show your ultimate skill to survive the last stage. No task till that time! Relax and try to concentrate."

Before the monitor went blank desperate Rajan asked,

"Sir, I have a question. Can I ask?"

The Joker hesitated for a second, but finally said,

"Okay, but remember one question only. I know you have a lot of questions in mind. So, be careful in choosing your solitary shot."

To be continued on tomorrow night

Last edited: Dec 13, 2021
  8. Mistt

Mistt IL Hall of Fame

There are 3 contestants in the final stage and it seems to be too hard to win. I think There is going to be only one survivor. :shakehead:Thinking itself makes scary :fearful:but I hope cops will reach at right time to stop this last test.
    @Tamrakshar oh, you are posting next episode tomorrow. Nice and thanks for you are reducing my curiosity levels to know what is going to happen next.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2021
    Riverstream and Tamrakshar like this.
  9. Tamrakshar

No comments at the moment! Thanks!

10. Tamrakshar

Episode 45

Indeed, Rajan was full of questions like why was he captivated, why was his wife captivated, how could he survive and a lot more. But, as he got only one shot, he thought for a while before asking,

"Sir, can both me and my wife survive the final stage?"

That question didn't seem difficult to Joker as he readily came with an answer,

"Yes! Definitely, yes, if the great Satan favours you! No more question! Best of luck!" The monitor went blank.

But, Rajan's mind was filled with joy. The Joker had been known to be a man of his word, at least, he claimed it. When answered in affirmatively, Rajan had no reason to believe otherwise that they indeed had a chance.

The word Satan, however, didn't go down well with Rajan. The "spiritual guru" had offered him to come to the satanic fold. Now the Joker had mentioned about Satan. But, Rajan was deeply religious in his mind. Therefore, he didn't have an iota of doubt that the all powerful, the omniscient, the omnipresent Lord Shiva would come to his aid during the crunch moment. Therefore, he warded off all the negative thoughts from his mind.

As the Joker said that he was free today before the final test, he decided to pray for the entire day for the safe exit of both Archana and himself.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Before the army of Ravenous Eagles guys and the STF of the Andhra Police set off for the rescue operation, the local OC along with nine more police personnel came hurriedly to the hotel. Hrishikesh Mukherjee, the medium-sized, potbellied, dark, hairy, moustached guy with a very cheerful expression showed a piece of paper to them and exclaimed,

"We got the order Sirs. Now, we can proceed."

Khan saw the paper, and said,

"Good! We got the warrant. Now let's move."

"But, Sir we can't move with such a large force. People will be unnecessarily scared. We have got ten, you don't bring more than 10. This an order from our SP Sir."

"Okay, let it be so. The private agency guys are not uniformed guys. So they will go with us." Khan, who had been made the head of the STF for this operation, proclaimed.

While they were finalising the nitty-gritties of the operation, Srinivas's phone rang. The caller was one of the DIG of Andhra Pradesh. He directed Srinivas to go to a solitary place. Srinivas told others to wait and went to the roof of the two-storeyed dingy hotel.

"What Sir? I am alone now and no one is present near me."

Srinivas was very much surprised to get Mr Shivashankara Reddy's, a well-known senior cop of his state, call at this time.

"Take the cook's phone and call this number immediately."

Mr Shivashankara told a mobile number before disconnecting the call. Without wasting any moment, Srinivas descended down quickly to the kitchen, lest he should forget the number.

He was surprised to see that the cook, an average-looking, middle-aged, bald guy offering him his old-modelled Nokia phone even before Srinivas could say anything. Srinivas's surprise knew no bound when the cook repeated the number mentioned by Mr Reddy just a few moments ago. Srinivas, however, didn't say anything as he climbed up the stairs.

He rang the number and Mr Shivashankara was on the other side. He said,

"You must be surprised to get my phone. I have rung you because this is very serious. Listen carefully and don't say anything until I tell you to do so.

I know what you are going to do. But, you have no idea how risky this mission is going to be. You are going take on a very powerful international gang, who has all the latest technologies in the world.

You maybe wondering how I knew all this! Well, someone very influential in our state rang me yesterday. He said that this agency does not want to harm police personnel. All they are interested in is their business, and they have a huge stake in India. But if their business interests are hurt, they will not hesitate to kill the state agents. Therefore, they have sent me a peace proposal. You leave them unscathed, and all 16 of your team will be rewarded with a hefty sum. You and Khan each will get one "khoka" and others will get amounts proportional to their ranks.

All you have to do is to go there, and give a report that everything is okay. Do you agree?"

Srinivas's head was spinning! The CM of his state had personally told him to make the mission successful, as any failure would discredit his government, and it might badly impact his party in the forthcoming polls. The CM had promised his team of both cash reward and promotion if they succeeded. Suresh Rao, the famous industrialist in the state, had also promised them of cash reward.

Besides, he thought that as a police officer he was dutybound to rescue someone in distress. He had studied the case of Rajan and Archana in detail. Even though, he hadn't seen them in his real life, they became his relatives. He promised himself that he would leave no stone unturned until he solved the matter.

Observing the long silence, Mr Shivashankara said,

"I know what the CM or Mr Suresh Rao had told you. But don't be a fool to think that they would take the responsibility of your family when you get killed in the operation, and believe me you stand no chance against this notorious tech-savvy mercenaries. You all will be wiped out with comfortable ease. Have you heard of laser guns? Have you heard of microwave technology as a weapon? These powerful gang has all the latest weapons that the most developed nations in the world can even dream of! I will call it our good luck that they hold no enmity against our nation."

"What are you saying Sir? I don't get anything. How can we call off this important operation? What gang is this that we can't defeat them? We have the ablest police personnel in our team with vast amount of experience. We are also equipped with AK47s, grenades and rocket launchers. We can take any gang in the world. Besides, the redoubtable international detective agency, the Ravenous Eagles, is on our side."

The rise in Srinivas's voice was noticeable. He had been an honest police officer throughout his career, he had never taken a single rupee as bribe; in fact, had it been someone else, he would have already disconnected the call after giving the caller a mouthful. But, Mr Shivashankara, not only a senior to him, but also known for his impeccable service record, was someone whom he had to listen.

"Well Sri, I understand your feelings! You are one of the best officers in AP, and I am proud of you. This is specifically the reason I am calling you. I don't want to lose the 16 best policemen of our state. If you think that I have gobbled a lumpsum from this notorious agency and acting as their agent, you are sadly mistaken.

You want to know about this agency. Well, I don't have the full information. But, as far as I have gathered information, this agency is an international agency headed by very powerful mafias of the world. Smuggling, illegal arms trade, narcotics, human trafficking, slave trade, you name it, the list of this agency's activities is endless."

"Slave trade? Hadn't that ended long ago?" Srinivas had to interject.

To be continued on tomorrow night