1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Threading, Sugaring, and Everything In-Between

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by zipzipzoomzoom, Jul 16, 2011.

1. zipzipzoomzoom

zipzipzoomzoom Gold IL'ite

Today, I got my eyebrows threaded. I'm really happy with the results, although I think if I learned how to thread eyebrows, I can do a better job. Plus, I'd do traditional sugaring instead of waxing.

I've heard of Shoba (who has several hair removal salons in NYC-area), and she charges $20 for eyebrow threading as opposed to the average $6.

Perhaps it's because she can ;-)

I've noticed she offers different levels of service. If you want someone with more experience, you pay more. And there is a "no double dip policy" when it comes to waxing.

She seems like a smart business lady.

And for the record, I am in no way affiliated with Shoba, I am simply making an observation.

I made an appointment with the lady at the salon, but was interrupted for nearly an hour while I was getting work done. I expressed my disappointment, and she tried to accomodate. I didn't pay tip, and it turns out, she was about to over-charge me from our previously agreed upon price, but I caught the mistake. Or was it a mistake?

Which means I overpaid last time.

But I don't care because it is only few dollars.

However, it is the principal, and it shows someone's business sense (or lack, thereof).

Sure, I'm fairly happy with the eyebrow threading (perhaps I can get eyebrows like Mila Kunis, perhaps my face structure is different), and other threading and waxing, and the proximity to my house.

But do you know what is even better?

I have begun to learn to ask questions.

I drew inspiration from God, my Dad, and Indus Ladies.

Because I asked questions, and expressed dissatisfaction in a non-emotional, yet direct way, I got results. And I got respect.

And this time, I didn't come home crying.

I need a lot of practice asking questions, asking for clarification. Best part is, I didn't get emotional, I just asked, and expressed myself honestly, and I got results.

People get emotional when they don't get what they want. You have to be persistent, and try, just like Keksi was persistent in trying to marry the already-married Rishi just to give birth to a super-being who would take back Lanka for the Asuras.

Of course, practice makes perfect, and I have to focus on the present situation instead of daydreaming about another situation. It happened many times in the salon and I kept telling myself, focus on the present, or at least think about God, but stop daydreaming, you lose your focus.

I look forward to the day when I can have my own beauty salon.

It takes dedication, experience, great business sense, and the ability to ask a lot of questions.

Perhaps I can run a salon for a few years - then go for higher education.

I always wanted a PhD. I'm not sure what I want a PhD in, but it would be great to research, and discover something that helps so many people.

Speaking of which, I had a strange dream few nights ago.

We were looking at a posh apartment at a high floor, which could see the suburban houses of the next state.

Then the issue of PhD in Physics came up.

My dad was asking me to decide whether I wanted to buy the posh apartment, or something else.

I said, "Dad, you make the decision"

I'm not sure what the decision was.

I woke up.

Owning a salon would be fun, and I would make a pretty penny. However, it is just as important to advance oneselves and help those around them.

Perhaps I just figured out what this dream was. Because as I was thinking about today's trip to the salon, I remembered about this dream.

Going into business is great, having a pretty penny is great, but education and knowledge stays with you.

No one can take away your education and knowledge.

More you have confidence in yourself and your abilities, less likely you are to compare yourself to others, feeling "I have less of this, they have more"

Look, I was nervous about going to the salon because I haven't had positive experiences in face-to-face dealings. Now even with the slightest progress, I am feeling happy. And encouraged. And thankful to God, my Dad, and my friends at Indus Ladies.

2. sreemanavaneeth

sreemanavaneeth Gold IL'ite

hai Z,

Your knowledge will be not be stealed by others. Till the end of your life you will have exposure of your qualification. To do business you should know how to handle all the hurdles. Anyway you are clear in your views now. Good . Keep it up.

3. spuppala

spuppala Gold IL'ite

The old tittle was more apt :)
    One day you will also become a great tycoon :)

4. zipzipzoomzoom

I struggled with the title because this blog post was an outpouring of emotions. Even the slightest progress in the positive direction makes me happy. And in that happiness, I thought of so many different things and poured all these feelings and observations into this blog entry :)

It'll be awesome to not have to worry about money, and to be in good company. Plus, if you have money, you can help those who are less fortunate.

5. Dhaanika

Dhaanika Gold IL'ite

[QUOTE = zipzipzoomzoom]And this time, I didn't come home crying.[/QUOTE]

That's important! To do things so you don't regret what you ended up with, or at least, to know that you made a choice that made you happy at the time you made it even if it turns out 'wrong' later.

I think so too. Getting all wound up rarely helps (except when you're wanting some drama), people tend to take you less seriously if you're ready to cry, pout, whine, sulk, nag, yell, get upset at the drop of a hat. I think you tend to lose credibility more when you show that you can't control your own emotions while asking someone else to do the same.

PS: Try your own threading, its super easy. :)

6. zipzipzoomzoom

I was actually following some tutorials on YouTUBE today. In two minutes, I was able to get some fine hairs out.

With practice, I hope to be able to do threading in the comfort of my home really soon!

7. zipzipzoomzoom

I begun practicing threading today. Was doubling and even quadrupling the loop for really stubborn hairs. Alas, both my thumbs are worn from thread burn!!!

8. Dhaanika

Dhaanika Gold IL'ite

Ouch! Try this tip: mix a spoonful of brown sugar with some almond oil, you're aiming for a consistency like a scrub. After a hot shower, gently rub this on your forehead and brows (it works just as well for the entire face actually, its pretty gentle!), and wash off, after an hour or two, try the threading/plucking whatever, it might help.

LOL, I hope we didn't push Z4 into 'adventures of a painful kind' with the threading... ;-)

9. zipzipzoomzoom

:rotfl

Great tip, will try it out and keep the ladies posted!