Thread Titles in Regional language??!!??

Discussion in 'Suggestions & Feedback!' started by malspie, Dec 23, 2007.

1. malspie

malspie Platinum IL'ite

Dear Malathy,

I wanted to bring this to your urgent notice as members post threads titled in regional language and to be frank the language here is Tamil. How can you expect a person to understand the title and hit the post or is the post directed to onlyTamilians?????

If we are calling people from a particular region like Mumbai I'Lites Meet here we can say - Kassa Kai Mumbai !! Ithe betu Yaa!!! Mumbai is a metro city and Marathi is a language which everyone speaks. Does this make sense to other I'lites!!!

We are trying hard to have response of readers from all corners. We are wearing the cap of having more 10,000 members in the site, how many are active... Only a handful, as people enter the site, find such bizzare titles (one of the reasons) and run miles away.. Just because a few tamilian friends answer my posts does not mean I keep hitting back in Tamil or any other language.

I think you should take a stand on this issue. Until yesterday, I was a member, today i have taken the responsibilities of Local Champion and its my duty to point out for the betterment of the site.

Nobody should take this post as a personal offense!!!

2. Induslady

Induslady Administrator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Malspie,

You have brought up a very valid point and we completely appreciate it. I am sure all IL'ites too will appreaciate it from the perspective that you are trying to be fair for everyone.

While we encourage postings in various regional languages in India (other than the common language English), in order to share the content better when conveyed in a language and to connect well by sharing in one's own language, we always felt the poster should also translate it in English for everyones benefits. We do agree that those who cannot understand that language will not find it interesting to read or might be missing the useful information being shared. We are completely with you, atleast the thread title should be a common language inviting everyone to participate in it.

This is what we wish and request all IL'ites to be doing. In fact, when we find thread titles itself in a different language, as part of moderating activity we try changing it to English. That's the best we can do - educating and moderating. More than that we have no control over it other than IL'ites themselves realise and start postng in English to make everyone feel included.

3. Kamla

Kamla IL Hall of Fame

This is a very valid point raised by Malspie. Even I wonder often when I see usage of regional languages as not every one will be able to follow. It will be a great help to all if we can remember to give its English meaning on the side if we do use it to stress a point or make a quote.
    When any language is used in a thread specifically meant for that language (like slokams in Tamil), it is obviously understandable. In other cases, let us make an effort to give the meaning of the words so everyone can enjoy and its significance is not lost on anyone.

L, Kamla

4. malspie

malspie Platinum IL'ite

Dear Malathy and Kamla,

Thanks for taking note of the point raised by me and supporting it wholeheartedly. It is a major concern and has to be nipped very soon.

Thanks once again.