1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Thoughts and incidence from the life of famous peoples

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by oasis, Jun 18, 2009.

1. oasis

oasis New IL'ite

Love - Swami Vivekananda

Suppose a man loves a woman; he wishes to have her all to himself and feels extremely jealous about her every movement; he wants her to sit near him, to stand near him, and to eat and move at his bidding. He is a slave to her and wishes to have her as his slave. That is not love; it is a kind of morbid affection of the slave, insinuating itself as love. It cannot be love, because it is painful; if she does not do what he wants, it brings him pain. With love there is no painful reaction; love only brings a reaction of bliss; if it does not, it is not love; it is mistaking something else for love. When you have succeeded in loving your husband, your wife, your children, the whole world, the universe, in such a manner that there is no reaction of pain or jealousy, no selfish feeling, then you are in a fit state to be unattached.

Krishna says, "Look at Me, Arjuna! If I stop from work for one moment, the whole universe will die. I have nothing to gain from work; I am the one Lord, but why do I work? Because I love the world." God is unattached because He loves; that real love makes us unattached. Wherever there is attachment, the clinging to the things of the world, you must know that it is all physical attraction between sets of particles of matter--something that attracts two bodies nearer and nearer all the time and, if they cannot get near enough, produces pain; but where there is real love, it does not rest on physical attachment at all. Such lovers may be a thousand miles away from one another, but their love will be all the same; it does not die, and will never produce any painful reaction.

2. oasis

oasis New IL'ite

A saint asked his disciples, 'Why do we shout in anger? Why do people shout at each other when they are upset?'

Disciples thought for a while, one of them said, 'Because we lose our calm, we shout for that.'

'But, why to shout when the other person is just next to you?' asked the saint. 'Isn't it possible to speak to him or her with a soft voice? Why do you shout at a person when you're angry?'

Disciples gave some other answers but none satisfied the saint.

Finally he explained, 'When two people are angry at each other, their hearts distance a lot. To cover that distance they must shout to be able to hear each other. The angrier they are, the stronger they will have to shout to hear each other through that great distance.'

Then the saint asked, 'What happens when two people fall in love? They don't shout at each other but talk softly, why? Because thei hearts are very close. The distance between them is very small...'

The saint continued, 'When they love each other even more, what happens? They do not speak, only whisper and they get even closer to each other in their love. Finally they even need not whisper, they only look at each other and that's all. That is how close two people are when they love each other.'

MORAL: When you argue do not let you hearts get distant, do not say words that distance each other more, else there will come a day when the distance is so great that you will not find the path to return.

Every morning leave your worries outside gate, 'coz that's where they pick up the
    garbage .

3. oasis

oasis New IL'ite

True Love

I once had a friend who grew to be very close to me. Once when we were sitting at the edge of a swimming pool, she filled the palm of her hand with some water and held it before me, and said this:

"You see this water carefully contained on my hand?
    It symbolizes Love."

This was how I saw it: As long as you keep your hand caringly open and allow it to remain there, it will always be there. However, if you attempt to close your fingers round it and try to posses it, it will spill through the first cracks it finds.

This is the greatest mistake that people do when they meet love...they try to posses it, they demand, they expect... and just like the water spilling out of your hand, love will retrieve from you.

For love is meant to be free, you cannot change its nature. If there are people you love, allow them to be free beings.

Give and don't expect.
    Advise, but don't order.
    Ask, but never demand.

It might sound simple, but it is a lesson that may take a lifetime to truly practice. It is the secret to true love. To truly practice it, you must sincerely feel no expectations from those who you love, and yet an unconditional caring.

swami vivekananda

4. Padmini

Padmini IL Hall of Fame

Hi,
    you have beautifully narrated the messages that should be in our mind always. Particularly, regarding the love for others simply an eyeopener. By "love" means we should not become possessive and interfere in all their activities.Because
    In the beginning, the beloved who feels possessed feels very good and elated. She/he thinks that their beloved values them very highly. That is also true. But after some days, they start getting stifled. They want their freedom. They want to meet friends, attend get to gathers, go around and be on their own for some time. They need to develop a different attitude. That should be to give joy to there object of love and not posses them.Thank you.
    with love
    pad

5. aparajithaa

aparajithaa Bronze IL'ite

A very nice thread
    Let me add something too
    Here I am adding an extract from Abdul Kalam's auto biography
    This is one of my favorite piece

Thanks for this wonderful thread
    It did teach me a lot about love

6. oasis

oasis New IL'ite

Inspiring article

4 RULES TO LIVE BY!

DRINK, STEAL, SWEAR & LIE

I met this person who has a motto he lives by everyday. He said " listen carefully and
    live by these 4 rules: Drink, Steal, Swear, & Lie."* *

I was shaking my head 'no', but he then told me to listen while he explained his four rules. So here they are:

1.. "Drink" from the "everlasting cup" every day.

2.. "Steal" a moment to help someone that is in worse shape than you are.

3.. "Swear" that you will be a better person today than yesterday.

4.. And last, but not least, when you "lie" down at night thank God you live in a country where you have religious freedom.

I am not as good as I should be, I am not as good as I could be. but THANK GOD* *
    I am better than I used to be !*

7. oasis

oasis New IL'ite

L O V E Through a child's eyes

Since? a very long time ago, people have searched for the meaning of love.
    But even the great philosophers, with their profound definitions, could not
    fully touch its true essence. In a survey of 4-8 year olds, kids share their
    views on love. But what do little kids know about love?
    Read on and be surprised
    that despite their young and innocent minds, kids already have a simple but
    deep grasp of that four-letter word.

*"Love is when a girl puts on perfume and a boy puts on shaving cologne
    and they go out and smile to each other." *

*"Love is when you go out to eat
    and give somebody most of your French fries without making them give you any
    of theirs." *

*"Love is when someone hurts you. And you get so mad but you don't yell at
    him because you know it would hurt his feelings." *

"Love is when my mommy makes coffee for my
    daddy and she takes a sip before giving it to him, to make sure the taste is
    OK." *

*"Love is when you tell a guy you like his shirt, then he wears it
    everyday."** *

*"You can break love, but it won't die."
    ?

*"Love is when mommy sees daddy smelly and sweaty and still says he is
    handsome then Robert Redbird." *
    ?

*"I know my older sister loves me because she gives me all her old
    clothes and has to go out and buy new
    ones." *

*"When you love somebody, your eyelashes go up and down and little stars
    come out of you." *

8. oasis

oasis New IL'ite

What we need in life is LOVE !!!!!!!!!!

A woman came out of her house and saw 3 old men with long white beards sitting in her front yard. She did not recognize them. She said "I don't think I know you, but you must be hungry. Please come in and have something to eat."

"Is the man of the house home?", they asked.

"No", she replied. "He's out."

"Then we cannot come in", they replied.
    In the evening when her husband came home, she told him what had happened.

"Go tell them I am home and invite them in!"

The woman went out and invited the men in"

"We do not go into a House together," they replied.

"Why is that?" she asked.

One of the old men explained: "His name is Wealth," he said pointing to one of his friends, and said pointing to another one, "He is Success, and I am Love." Then he added, "Now go in and discuss with your husband which one of us you want in your home."

The woman went in and told her husband what was said. Her husband was overjoyed. "How n ice!!", he said. "Since that is the case, let us invite Wealth. Let him come and fill our home with wealth!"

His wife disagreed. "My dear, why don't we invite Success?"

Their daughter was listening from the other corner of the house. She jumped in with her own suggestion: "Would it not be better to invite Love? Our home will then be filled with love!"

"Let us heed our daughter's advice," said the husband to his wife.

"Go out and invite Love to be our guest."

The woman went out and asked the 3 old men, "Which one of you is Love? Please come in and be our guest."

Love got up and started walking toward the house. The other 2 also got up and followed him. Surprised, t he lady asked Wealth and Success: "I only invited Love, Why are you coming in?"

The old men replied together: "If you had invited Wealth or Success, the other two of us would've stayed out, but since you invited Love, wherever He goes, we go with him. Wherever there is Love, there is also Wealth and Success!!!!!!"

9. oasis

oasis New IL'ite

The Gospel of Strength

Fiery words of Swami Vivekananda

Laziness, meanness, and hypocrisy have covered the whole length and breadth of the country. Can an intelligent man look on all this and remain quiet? Does it not bring tears to the eyes?... Therefore I say, first rouse the inherent power of the Atman within you...

The older I grow, the more everything seems to me to lie in manliness. This is my new gospel.

Men should be taught to be practical, physically strong. A dozen such lions will conquer the world, not millions of sheep.

Before you proceed

"I want iron wills and hearts that do not know how to quake."

"You may meditate on whatever you like, but I shall meditate on the heart of a lion. That gives strength."

"Give me a few men and women who are pure and selfless and I shall shake the world."

- These are the words of the thundering monk Swami Vivekananda.