1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Those Were The Days, My Friend!

Discussion in 'Cheeniya's Senile Ramblings' started by Cheeniya, Feb 16, 2017.

1. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

My dear Syamala
    Thank you for your laudatory words which inspire me to write more.
    Love and concern for children are more among animals than human beings. I have seen some amazing TV shots of animals going to the extreme to protect their young ones. From the Polar bears to the African elephants, the story is the same. I love the Animal TV channels only for this reason. If you ask me, human beings have inherited this quality only from animals. But the modern life and its pressures have taken their toll on this divine bond. It is not unusual to see news items on sons killing the parents on property disputes! The pressures of modern life have indeed taken their tole on the most sublime relationships.
    It is strange that the passing time has not affected the mother-children relationship among all beings except the human beings. Lucky are those who have doting children but it is not a matter of luck. If the elders treat their parents badly, the children will follow suit. May love be the pivot of all our relations!
    Sri

2. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

Glad to know hat your brother always came first in class and thatyou were darling of all. Glad to know you are Wodehouse's fan and thanks for sharing the video. Enjoyed it. I think I should also read Wodehouse's novel. Now a days dont have patience to read novels, younger days I used to read a lot of novels, tamil magazines like Vikatan etc. Used to wait for the weekly magazine but would get to read only after m father reads it. Used to read English magazines and novels too but novels which were easy to understand. Like Shyamala has mentioned missed your posts and replies to nominations since sixmonths. Very happy to see you back. My prayers for your speedy recovery

3. PushpavalliSrinivasan

PushpavalliSrinivasan IL Hall of Fame

Dear Mr Cheeniya,
    My sister and bil are no more. My nephew has sold the house now. My sister was the eldest in our family and she was nearly 13 years older than me and was married off to a person twice older than her as second wife due to poverty.

We also after very hard work now are leading a comfortable life. You have well said that happiness is in our mind, not in our lifestyle or living in a palatial house.
    After retirement we got settled in our own house at Pallikaranai. Later we shifted to Kilpauk to be close to my daughter's house and now we have shifted again to RA.Puram to be close to my daughter who has now shifted there.
    I hope now we have finally settled here.
    PS

4. jennycee

jennycee Senior IL'ite

What a beautiful account of the good old days Cheeniya. My parents were born and raised in Chennai and spoke the southern languages fluently. My father had a travelling job which was another advantage and we (5 brothers and 3 sisters) were born in different States. I too have fond memories of childhood spent in Chennai, Bangalore, Vishakapatnam, Pondicherry and other places eventually working as Secretaries in Assam! Things have changed drastically. All we have to look back to is memories and happy times.

5. Cheeniya

Dear jennycee
    Thank you for your lovely response. Of the places you have mentioned, Vishakapatnam is really on top. I was there last year and found it to be spotlessly clean and well laid-out. Bangalore has become too congested and driving there is a nightmarish experience. The changes that have taken place in Madras break my heart but that's what my childhood friends will tell me when they look at me now!
    Sri

Srama likes this.
  6. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

Dear Cheeniya Sir,

How did I miss this wonderful piece of information from you in the form of thread about your childhood days? You are compensating well with your wonderful snippets for the days we missed you. I don't look at Cheeniya's Ramblings every week and I look at it only once a month but now I am pleasantly surprise to see four threads in two months. I have a feeling your uncooperative right eye will being cooperating seeing your determination and enthusiasm to write!

I missed tram by a year as I was born in 1954 but I have heard about tram in Chennai from my parents and grandparents. But I had the fortune of seeing the hand-pulled rickshaws. My dad is the same and he won't let us travel in it because it is unfair to expect a human being to pull the weight of another human being. I used to argue with him about the carts being pulled by the horses and bulls and also about how they would make a living if everyone prefers not to ride such hand-pulled rickshaws. After hearing my passionate arguments, he took me to Dr. Raju's clinic in T.Nagar by walk after asking the rickshaw puller to accompany us with his rickshaw by our side after making full payment. I remember MGR replaced all of the hand-pulled rickshaws with tricycle rickshaws by donating a huge amount out of his personal income. Dr. Raju was a young man and was beginning his practice at that time. He also used to give those syrups and he used to pull out his penicillin injection as my fever and cold always cure only by penicillin.

We lived in Tanjore Road in T.Nagar and my mother's brothers used to live with us as they were going to college at that time. Each one of us had a time to go to bed and the discipline used to be each one should study up to a particular time. The time is fixed based on passing of a particular train. My oldest uncle used to go to bed when boatmail passed Mambalam Station. Rita Ice used to be my favorite as it was manufactured in Mylapore/Rayapettah area and sold throughout Chennai. The guy comes with a small push cart that is filled with dry ice to protect Rita Icecreams. We didn't have branded ice-cream parlors those days.

My parents and brother used to make fun of me as I offered an ana to the headmaster when he refused to admit me into Ramakrishna Mission Elementary School as I was only 4 years old. Seeing my action, he misunderstood I should be academically brilliant. The very first day of school, I came home showing my slate proudly to all and I never knew why everyone was laughing. Later, my mother told me that I got a zero on the school work and without knowing what it was, I showed it to everyone on the road proudly. As zero with a dash on either side looked funny, I didn't realize it was no score.

Viswa

7. Cheeniya

My dear Viswa
    What a wonderful feedback that is! T.Nagar used to be like Triplicane except that the people were more affluent. It was a favourite area for many film stars and most of them were Telugu film stars. M. K. Thyagaraja Bhagavathar, T. R. Rajakumari, N. S. Krishnan, Vyjayanthimala, N. T. Rama Rao, Thangavelu, Manorama, Savitri, Sivaji Ganesan and T. S. Balaiah were all residents of T.Nagar. Of this elite lot, only Vyjayanthimala is alive. T.Nagar had a greater share of Telugu people than Triplicane. My area was (and is even now) Muslim populated. It was the domain of Arcot Navab. Most of the Government offices in Triplicane belonged to the Islam royalty. My own house owner was a Mulim gentleman who always impeccably dressed. He was always upset that his sons were not as good in their studies as my brother.When my brother passed his IAS exam, the house owner bhai, as we always called him, was the happiest of all. I lived in Thanikachalam Chetty street for a couple of years during my graduation in Presidency College.

Channai has none of the character of the old Madras except in places like Triplicane. During my recent visit to Pycrofts Road, I was delighted to find some places still carrying on. The old marundhu kadai and the sweetmeat shop continue to do roaring business. Whenever I hear the old movie song Madras nalla Madras , I get lost in my childhood thoughts!
    Sri

Viswamitra likes this.