1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Those Three Words!

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by rgsrinivasan, Nov 30, 2011.

1. rgsrinivasan

rgsrinivasan IL Hall of Fame

This blog is related to my thoughts about death. So, please stay away from this, if you don't feel like reading further.

He was an old and distant relative to us and I could not remember much about him though I tried, after knowing that he passed away. He was always a genial person and they had no children. My first thought was about his wife. "How she would manage the rest of her life?", I wondered and pitied her. My dad had been recuperating from a surgery and mom wanted to go there.

I volunteered and took her to the place. There were about 50 - 60 people gathered around and all we did was to join them. I looked at the old man's body and paid my respects, praying the almighty for his soul to rest in peace. I know it definitely would, as he meant no harm to anybody, to my knowledge and never interfered in others' matters too. My mom was consoling his wife then. Later, she requested me to go the cremation ground as a mark of respect.

I didn't deny her and went along. Emptyness, a general hate towards everything and some strange feeling that I couldn't name now, were in me then. People closer to him talked about his character and deeds, which were news to me. We reached the cremation ground and the last rituals were happening. Another old man [not as old as the one who passed away] who had been a closer relation, was doing the last rites. People were talking about so many things, like the cinema that got just released, the new car they had, about politics etc., with an occasional mention of the man who passed away. "C'mon! he lived to seventy five! What more can you ask for?", one of them said.

I was concentrating less on these and moved away, waiting for the rituals to get over. It was then, that I saw those three words written in big letters in white, on a dirty wall. As I read that, I was jolted as though I touched a live wire.

It simply read, "Your Turn Tomorrow!".

2. rheaa

rheaa Silver IL'ite

Rgs, that is indeed so true. Thank you for reminding the eternal truth - 'Your turn tomorrow'. It is necessary to be reminded once in a while of the uncertainty of when death strikes, makes me want to live life to the fullest for as long as I can!

But what a pity, how people were more concerned about general talk even while the last rites were going on at the cremation ground, I believe it would be respectful to keep silent (well, that's my personal opinion anyway!).

3. rgsrinivasan

Thanks Rheaa, for posting the first comment to this. I wondered whether I would receive any feedback for this, you know? Besides, what you mentioned is right and thats the general expectation. Alas! It doesn't happen. People do indulge in chatting about many things then, for that offers a chance to show to others [whom they rarely meet] and get updated as well. Also, it may be due to the fact that they can't afford to take it too deep.
    'Living life to the fullest' - that was fantastic. -rgs

4. Pallavi4me

Pallavi4me Platinum IL'ite

A thoughtful post from you once again, Rgs.

Im wondering how come you come up with such engaging and thoughtful posts everyday. I really admire such thinking.

5. AkilaMani

AkilaMani Local Champion Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Those certainly were not the magical words that i had imagined it would be... come on.... no kidding, of course i did not expect them to be.... but true, in all the hustle bustle of our everyday living, we forget that we are but mere mortals and we come with an expiry date stamped with invisible ink on our foreheads. loss of a dear one or even a person who was a total stranger actually makes us stop and take stock and be reminded that yes tomorrow could very well be our turn. And as rheaa says, makes us want to live our lives to the fullest and also not merely take pleasure in getting but give back when we can!!

Great one rgs!! (why would you ever think ppl might not respond to such a simple yet deeply thought provoking post??!!)

Akila

6. rgsrinivasan

Thanks for your appreciation Pallavi4me. What we see around us is enough to write several such stories. Isn't it? This one was real and I experienced it. Thats why I posted this under "Reflection" category. -rgs

7. rgsrinivasan

Thanks so much Akila, for your nice feedback. And to your question, I have written a poem (!) on the same theme, "Sorrow and Solace", though it was a personal experience. Strange that I too touched on the expiry date thing there.

Thanks again. -rgs

8. mariselviprabu

mariselviprabu Silver IL'ite

Hmmm...Depressing but true...

When I was a kid ,An old granny from Burma taught me that when I see a Dead man's procession ,I had to say "Today you,tomorrow me".I do that ,till date

Regds,

9. rgsrinivasan

Thanks very much for your nice feedback MariselviPrabu. Happy to receive a first from you and sorry, for it being depressing. -rgs

10. strangerrr

strangerrr Gold IL'ite

I guess, this is first blog of yours, i understood with out re-reading! (that nothing to do with you; its my lack of understanding).

still this topic remains taboo for most of us, may be thats why you gave an alert note first.

Also,
    your weapon was MIGHTY, dirty was a CLEAN - enjoyed those too!

:)