1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Those 'Merry-go-Sorry' moments

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by LakshmiKMBhat, Jun 20, 2013.

1. LakshmiKMBhat

LakshmiKMBhat Gold IL'ite

‘Merry-go-sorry’, such an expressive phrase. I heard it for the first time in our last book club meeting and it has remained in my mind since. It means any experience or a tale or an event which evokes joy and sadness simultaneously. :)
    That meeting was one such event; all of us had met and discussed so many books and enjoyed ourselves but we were also saying goodbye to a friend who was leaving our place.

The other day I was listening to a friend telling me that her daughter had scored well in a competitive exam and would be leaving home soon. She was feeling very happy but also sad that her child would be moving away, a merry–go-sorry moment.

There are so many such moments in our life.
    Whenever I look at all the beautiful idols that are made for our festivals, there is a feeling of joy and of sadness. Joy, because these idols are so beautiful and prepared by the craftsmen with so much love and dedication, knowing that their handiwork would soon be immersed in water. I am sure all artists face such moments in life. There is a feeling of sadness about the impermanence of life.

I remember many of those movies which used to make us cry and also made us happy that we had seen and lived through the movie. :cheers

Then of course that moment when I finish reading a beautiful and absorbing book. I am now reading ‘ Empires of the Indus by Alice Albinia. It is about the River Indus and the lands through which it flows. The author begins from the delta and the present times and traces the river back in time and space to the source. I have been living in those lands and those times. Finishing a good book is a merry-go-sorry moment. There is a feeling of joy and satisfaction of reading something very good and a feeling of sadness of reaching the End.

It is these merry-go-sorry moments which make life so interesting.

View attachment 190219

2. maalti

maalti Gold IL'ite

Hi Lakshmi, all of us have our own merry go sorry moments. But no one has described these moments like you did. Nice and touching one. The pics. are also beautiful. Thank you

3. LakshmiKMBhat

LakshmiKMBhat Gold IL'ite

Thanks Maalti, I just loved that phrase when I heard it and all those moments came to my mnd.:)
    Lakshmi

4. mssunitha2001

mssunitha2001 IL Hall of Fame