1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Those little things that bring a smile!

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Srama, Mar 31, 2015.

1. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

[justify]I look around my house and the dishes are screaming out loud to be cleaned and the sink wants to be unburdened, the back packs are still on the floor where the kids have left them but I am in no mood to pick them up nor am I in a mood to yell at them. It is spring break after all you see. Like me they hear the birds, the gentle breeze, even spot a quick bunny running across, a stray cat searching for that fish in our pond, the swing sitting there pretty and no rushing in and out of the door, back and forth from school. All they want to do is play and that is okay.

I am drawn back to that kitchen sink and I feel that it can wait! You tell me, the same dishes, the same floor and the fact is all it takes is an hour to spruce up. And anyways after that long run all I want is just to sit. Talking of the run I have to tell you the weather has been well, moody. One day, a perfect day for the run and the next it has me scrambling around for my gloves and guess what the perfect run day almost always happens to be our rest day. Well I tell you what, I hear the birds, I see the Sun come up sooner and I even see the plants slowly emerging from under the ground while a few brave ones even show off their colors. Ah well brave or not, sun or not, chirping or not the day seems long ahead of me with that very looong run. But I am determined more than ever to 'just keep running'.

As I head out with the group, I realize I am in no mood to talk. Even if I want to I know I have a good four to five hours to talk with whoever is running with me at that point in time and I also know that I cannot, even 'I' cannot keep up talking for that long. With that in mind, I begin the run silently of course not wondering about the route but only focusing on getting to that next water stop for I know every water stop I pass means I have run that much, that many miles behind me. While the mouth is quiet not talking the mind can hardly stay still. But the long runs have a way of teaching you that, that stillness. We converse but thoughts somehow don't build up sometimes. I know what you are saying, it must be the people in the group or it must be me. Well either which way, we understand the value of silence when our focus is just on reaching that next fire hydrant and if there is not one, we get busy searching for one or finding another goal debating which tree we meant in a long line of trees. It can get fun and meditative I tell you.

As I focus on the hydrants, evenly placed on one side of a street, I am reminded of a young girl on a farm. Shh...I thought of those dogs too and cracked up many times while running! Getting back to that young girl, I am in the country and can some what take liberties as I sit in the back of their pick up truck and drive towards their farm which was not too far away. She wanted to show us her horses that she trains for some competitions. When I ask her as to what is the key to her success, she smiles and with a look that says I have found the key mentions "I have learnt that a little bit of training every day goes a long way for both of us compared to the last minute scrambling around!" I have never been able to forget that and think of her once a day at least and wish her the best. Today as I trudge along, I am reminded of her more than ever.

I come home, sit on the couch feeling the aches and pains in the usual places, making sure there is no new pain, acknowledging all the parts of the body that I did not know existed, thanking them for being so co operative that day. I spread my yoga mat and as I stretch, I am reminded of that yoga teacher at the gym who usually is so talkative that all I want to do is beg her to give me a minute of silence so that I can enjoy my pose. You have it right. I am so afraid of going to her class for I fear I might end up saying that out loud not meaning to, such is my intense need for silence. But today, as I try to stretch, from all that chatter and that image of her walking quietly but very quickly across the class, all I remember is her voice telling us "I have had my practice, this is your practice do what you your body needs, not what I tell you!" Am I ever thankful to her as I experience those moments of "Ah ha! this is what I need" as I stretch each muscle out. I sure now know the meaning of "my own practice"

Finally I am ready for some tidying up. As I get back in to the kitchen, looking at my plants waiting to be taken out doors to get some fresh air and sunlight, I look at my orchids. Yes they are in bloom. They always bloom in the winter months, year after year and continue to be there smiling at me till my yard perks up towards the end of spring. It is almost like they want me to be happy, they seem to know that seeing them bloom in the peak of winter makes a difference to me. As I smile at them, I am reminded of a friend who when I mentioned the first time my orchids bloomed gave me the best advise ever that I should not re-pot them. As I think of that friend, smile and thank her, I make my way back to the computer. The dishes can wait a little longer, so can the rest of the cleaning![/justify]

13 people like this.

2. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

A typical Sabi post. :-D Oh, the joy of silence! God knows I have enough silence in the house, but I still long for it, especially when there is too much chatter and noise around.....and then when everyone leaves and I have the house to myself, oh! What Bliss!

Sabitha, now let me go at a tangent. :p You have mentioned orchids. I have planted watercress. They have sprouted and are now about 10 days old. How long does watercress require to grow to proper size?

1 person likes this.
  3. jayasala42

jayasala42 IL Hall of Fame

Dear Srama,
    Let the vessels wait. inside the sink, even for a whole day.Enjoy great little things.Simple pleasures give lot of relaxation and add meaning to our lives.

We were stressed for a few days.It was a great joy when we saw through skype.our little grandson, aged 2 eating idlies.He was telling about'Moyaa podi' for chilli powder.When I asked him if he is ok with idlies, he said'NOT OK,but AWESOME'.Had a hearty laugh how a child knows to distinguish between'just ok' and'awesome'.
    All our worries gone.
    Even just reading of your snippet makes me relaxed and confident. Thank you for sharing.
    Jayasala 42

3 people like this.
  4. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

I can very well see you enjoying the silence Satchi and now with that revamp of the garden, I am sure you are able to keep the din away easily.

Watercress? What watercress? Sorry I had to google on how to grow this so I don't know anything about it but this wiki link How to Grow Watercress (with Pictures) - wikiHow seems to say grow 12 - 15 cm before you cut. Will look forward to pictures in your gardening thread.

1 person likes this.
  5. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Dear JS Ma'm,

Thank you for your feedback. That is so cute, your grand son. I tell you it is so fantastic to be surrounded by children and oh that innocence and the things that matter to them, what joy! You should skype more with your grandson, worries or no worries to continue to have that joy.

Thank you for your words about my snippet and I am happy to hear that it helped you relax. After all I did do a 20 mile run and I could not let my mind run wild. Could I? So these thoughts keep me going :)

6. GoogleGlass

GoogleGlass IL Hall of Fame

Nice realization of little things to keep the smile on, if not attended to turns a snowball and then it asks a price to melt away.

1 person likes this.
  7. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

And with all the snow already sitting on the ground, who wants more GG...so the little things made a difference :)

1 person likes this.
  8. yellowmango

yellowmango IL Hall of Fame

@satchitananda Where did you get the watercress seeds from?What is it called in local lingo?

1 person likes this.
  9. shyamala1234

shyamala1234 Platinum IL'ite

Dear Sabita,
    Typical Sabita blog.
    Yes, one step at a time, little little steps go a long way. Generally the first step is the difficult one...subsequent once are easier. I like the little girl's attitude.
    Yes, in the course of day we do so many little little things and let us enjoy them. How many big things we really achieve? Really few. So, let us train ourselves to enjoy small things...a greeting card made by a kid, when the family appreciates something about us etc etc. They make the day beautiful!
    I want silence when it is noisy and sounds when it is silent! Both in the right balanced way.
    Syamala

2 people like this.
  10. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

Sabitha, it is out attitude towards the small routine acts that deine us. After all ocean is made of small drops of water and as someone said, if you treat every act of yours as wprship religion becomes superfluous.

2 people like this.