those golden days

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by aryashi, Jul 31, 2012.

1. kylie

kylie Gold IL'ite

Thank you Bhargavi dear.

love,
    kylie

1 person likes this.
  2. Riyakathir

Riyakathir Platinum IL'ite

The days which i want to get..

1. going to school in cycle.
    2. watching jungle book in doordarshan
    3. waiting for oliyum oliyum.
    4. radio news and programs.
    5. holidays in grand ma's place.
    6. ponga in village with all mama and athai and paati and cousins..
    7. skippinng games, anjaang kal (game with tiny stones, which we trow in air and catch) bangle jodi, ace, nondi (catching people in single leg)
    8. learning swmming in biiiiggggg well, near the farm land with dried bottle gaurd tied at the back. :rotfl
    9. playing ring ball, batmitton with mom and dad in the evening.
    10. dressing up my dad as mom :) and his lovely dance.. :rotfl

OH... the soooo many.. I am missing it a lot.... especially the days i roamed with half saree.... waiting for the ice cream man in the road and creaming on him...

searching for puppies... and playing with it...

keeping peacock feathers in the book and every day checking out whether it has delivered a small one.. :rotfl

for sure my son and daughter will miss it...

the bell pants!!!!! Yamaha RX 100 sound..... saloon shop boy cut/ pop cut.

still my saloon mama asks me.. how are you maa... I never allow him to cut my hair.. as i wish to have a long one... :hide:

OMG.... i just in to 90's :D

3 people like this.
  3. Sanguineme

Sanguineme Silver IL'ite

Am reminded of my school days too.

Those days Doordharshan was almost part of our life. There are lot of programs I miss:
    1. Dekh Bhai Dekh
    2. Malgudi Days
    3. Giant Robot
    4. Sea Hawks
    5. Shaanthi

Has anyone read a book named Poonthalir in tamil. It was actually tamil version of Tinkle. It had stopped long back.

Baalamithra was also there similar to Ambulimaama, tamil version of Chandamaama.

1 person likes this.
  4. smilysmile

smilysmile Gold IL'ite

5. kanaka Raghavan

kanaka Raghavan IL Hall of Fame

lovely,thanks for taking me on a trip down the memory lane,wonderful.

1 person likes this.
  6. smilysmile

smilysmile Gold IL'ite

Reminds of my memories too

1 person likes this.
  7. brb_va

brb_va Gold IL'ite

There was a black and white solidaire tv at home, with a door on it, My mom used to lock it up on the exam dates, and it was hardly few programs like oliyum oliyum, super hit muqabla, chitrahaar & chitramaala. Oliyum oliyum is allowed at home, but super hit muqabla is strict no-no for my father.

All my cousins writing cards and letters when they arrive during summer holidays, playing in the sand, watching old hindi movies in DD3 channel, playing the tape recorder so high in tune, when no one has in the nearby households!! Putting rangoli and checking whether our neighbourhood has any other in competition to us, grinding mehendi in ammi and distributing to everyone around, plucking jasmine flowers from our garden and wearing it to hindi classes, dressing my younger sister like radhai when we used to invite everyone for navrathri, singing songs to get sundal :), it was just amazing!! I seriously miss all those moments, golden olden days!!

Thanks for bringing a bright smile :) by starting this post!!

2 people like this.
  8. brb_va

brb_va Gold IL'ite

Seriously missing all those sweet sparrows in our backyard. The sweet guava trees, the veggies that we pluck from the garden, talk to the roses that bloomed around, everything is just evergreen!!

1 person likes this.
  9. aryashi

aryashi Gold IL'ite

wow..such a wonderful memories refreshed..remember the chocolates like mango bite, asha, n the black one with a tangy taste named FATAFAT...those one rupee pepsii which would come in packets...

How many of you have said this at least once in your life? :p

"Don't lie! I know you have an extra pencil!" :p :p

*Does anybody remember these? Did they have a specific name? The objective would be getting all the rings on the pegs by pressing a water pump.

How many of you played BOOK CRICKET in class ??? or played cricket with a PAPER BALL and CLIPBOARD ??

3 people like this.
  10. kylie

kylie Gold IL'ite

Yes, I remember Solidaire. Ours was Beltek, that too had the cupboard look !! It was so amusing that later some wise guy came up with a solution to make black n white tv into color by adding colored glass in front of the screen. The market was flooded with this product and it was so funny to watch the heroine's face in red while her hands looked green !!

The hot summer afternoons, when as soon as mom hit the bed for her afternoon siesta, my siblings and I would sneak into the backyard, climb the fruit trees, catch butterflies, look out for new nests where the sparrow had laid eggs etc. My kids never had this pleasure - no backyard, no fruit trees.....sad !

When we kids used to look forward to the train journey during our annual trip to our granny's place for summer vacations. These days the trains are so crowded that there is no pleasure in the trip. And to avoid waste of time, flying is a better option.

Being in a convent, it was compulsory for us to learn the basics of Bharatnatyam, Kathak etc. The nuns ensured that all of us were taught some knitting, sewing, embroidery, painting, batik and little bit of baking n cooking. My daughter finds it amazing that her mom knows a bit of everything. These days schools hardly pay attention to teaching these art n crafts.

When nothing was instant - whether it was withdrawing money, booking tickets, making payments etc.

When maids n domestic help were treated as part of the family and they too use to stick on for generations.

When you were "loyal" to the the family grocer at the street corner, the vegetable n milk vendor and the tailor - you always used the same shop.

When multiplex, malls, boutiques, salons, amusement parks, tattoos, body piercing, lesbian, gay etc were alien terms

When girls didnt think it was cool to smoke n drink and guys didnt think it was cool to wax their chest !!

When girls used to come to school with their hair oiled and plaited. Ribbons were part of school uniform. The longer the hair, the more envy it generated !

love,
    kylie

5 people like this.