1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

This Thread Will Never Break!!

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by malspie, Feb 19, 2008.

1. malspie

malspie Platinum IL'ite

:hiya:hiya:hiya:hiya:hiya:hiya:hiya

This Thread Will Never Break!!!

Tick.. Tick… I quickly look at the clock, its time for me to to meet my best friend and go for a chat session. I ask my mom to serve me dinner, its past eight. She pats me on my back for being the fastest on the dining table. I gather the feather and place it in my cap and wipe my wet hands on my frock and run to the balcony. Where is my best friend, :spinGod, he was here this place last night, my eyes frantically look for him, ah!! There I found him, hiding behind the clouds, my best friend and his name is ‘Moon’. He seems to be a little smaller than last night.bonk

I was five years old then and let me take you down to history a little further. My chat session with him had started from the time I must be roughly four. I was perplexed by his beauty, by his charm, by his cool light. I had long chat sessions with him. “Hey, not having your grub properly, do obey your mom and eat well, remember I am waiting for you here” I would tell him. And the day he would not emerge, I always implicated it was his holiday akin to the one that I get from my school and he is playing with his friends and may be his mom has taken him out. I was always vexed about the clouds howering on him, more worried about his waxing and wane stages. I would quite often tell him, to eat well, and have some tonics like me to be hail and hearty. I would go to him and recite my poems and tables that I have learnt through the day, I would penetrate “Does he also have to learn the same subjects like me”. He never answered me I am sure, but, I always found answers for all my questions in his silence. I had this illusion that he is looking only at me. “Hey, you go to sleep, when I am at school and when I go to sleep, you are at school” I wanted to meet his parents, his family. I was keen to know how the world there looked like. I would tell him moan about my parents and teachers too, if they were a bit harsh with me. He was my best friend, I discussed everything with him. I recollect telling him about memorizing the descendening order in numericals and how obscure it was for me to say it in random and my mom is always there with a cane to whip me, if I go wrong. I would ask him, how did he learn those difficult mathematics, I wanted him to share a few tips with me so that I can impelement them in my leanrings. Did I not tell you, he was my best friend and was there for me, patiently listening to my stories of the day? My parents would quite often come and peep in the balcony and warn me not to stand on the stool or chair, not to bend outwards searching for the moon. They knew that I was standing there looking at the moon, but little did they know he was my best friend too.

I remember the day, when I got my Geography text book in class 2. Chapter 2 was about the Moon. There were pictures of the waxing and waning Moon and much more written about it. I was excited to know the world of my best friend. The teacher donned a new chapter in my life. She told me there is no life on the Moon; it is a satellite of planet Earth. It has no light of its own. She introduced me to words like Umbra and Penumbra. I do not remember listening to my teacher any further. All I wanted to go back to my balcony and ask my best friend, why did he hide these facts from me?

Did I breach my friendship with him? At this moment, all you readers must be thinking, in the affirmative. No dals, nothing like that happened. In fact, I got closer to him. My heart was all out for him, he is living in a dark world and I am enjoying all the luxuries of Mother Earth. God, I have hurt him many times by asking him to tell me about his world. No wonder, he was just smiling. Dals, he was never jealous of my well being, never twisted his nose on my triumphs, never turned his back towards my sorrows, he was always there for me like a true friend. I still love to watch him but it has become tricky to locate him in a metro city like Mumbai with tower like building lining the sky. The only glimpse I get of him is when I go to the terrace of my building, when I am on the streets at night. I still look up at him and smile, now, a bit coyly. I have no anwer to my coyness, but yes I can tell you he has remained my best friend and his name is ‘Moon’. This thread will never break !!:bowdown:bowdown

2. aishu22

aishu22 Gold IL'ite

Dear Mals,
    It was a sheer pleasure to read about your friendship with Moon.Who does not like him/her? Moon is closely assoicated with all age groups.As kids, we see moon and hear lot of chandamama stories to gulp up the dinner...As teenagers, we look at moon and gaze at it with all scientific things running around our head.At 20+, we compare our lover/spouse to moon and its nature+honey"moon".After 30's it becomes a sign of religious things where in we start following - like full moon day,no moon day,karvachaud,,eclipse etc..
    Mals,i liked the way you described your association with Moon.

3. Meenaneelakantan

Meenaneelakantan Bronze IL'ite

Dear MalsBow

Had you known tamil, i would have quoted our great poet Bharathi's poem here.. "Pacchai kuzhandhaiyadi kannir paavaiyadi chandramadhi!" This is how his poem starts and this is one of my favo too. You know what..this poem starts running inside my head every time i go to balcony or terrace to enjoy the sight of moon! You may wonder why i say this here..well, to tell you that from now on your prose too will join hands with that poem in taking me to a state of ecstasy whenever i catch moon...:hatsoff

Love
    Meena

4. corallux

corallux Bronze IL'ite

Hi Malspie,

Punha you took me back to my Maher......This reminds me of a song from Pakeeza:

Chalo dildar chalo
    chand ke paar chalo

Hum hai tayyar chalo

& of course the evergreen song we sang in school:

Chandoba Chandoba laplas kaa?

Forgot the balance lyrics....Would you/any one have them by any chance?

Just yearn for the time my Parents, Brother & I sat on the Ghachchi on Full moon nights with our neighbours during Kojagiri & sipped masala milk..

Gele te divas.....only memories remain..

But yes as you said, this thread will always remain......

Regards,

Corallux

5. Arunarc

Arunarc Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Dear Mals
    Wow another beautiful one from you on friendship this time with the MoonBow
    We all love him too but you have put in so well especially the last paragraph. Friends are always with you in happiness and sorrows and he was there for you all the time without complaining...............superb

Dear Corallux
    You have brot the famous songs on moon here one in hindi and the other one in marathi. I too use to sing these songs.
    About Chandoba Chandoba laplas kaa?? laplas kaa??
    can remember a few lines lets see will write it down how much I know and will post it here.

6. SoaringSpirit

SoaringSpirit Silver IL'ite

Dear Mals,
    What a nice post! Enjoyed it tons! Of course, very well written. It brings out the right emotions with the right dosage. Perfect.

Corallux, your mention of Kojagiri brought back so many wonderful memories of childhood days. The masala milk and the singing sessions on the terrace…. At my parents’ house we used to have an all night singing session with a huge group of friends and family replete with musical instruments. It was a tradition in our house. Of course, non-stop flow of masala milk and steaming hot food would be provided. Most songs used to be related to the moon of course, both in Hindi and Marathi. Among many other songs, the classic “chandane shimpeeta jaashi” would be sung every year. There would be simple “satranji” (dhuri) laid on the terrace floor and those thick “Sholapuri” bed sheets would be placed on the side for use if people felt cold. In Bombay, it hardly ever got very cold, but us pukka Mumbiaites would feel chilly with even the slightest mention of cold weather!

Oh, I soooooo miss those days of simple living and simple fun.

I guess I should re-create some of the old magic for my kids. They will surely remember it fondly when they grow up, just as I do now.

As for your Chandoba song lyrics, I know the song and have it on tape or CD at home. But cannot remember all the words right now. Here are a few lines that I remember.

Chandoba Chandoba laplaas kaa
    Limbodi chyaa zhadaa maage laplaas kaa
    Limbodi cha zhaad karvandi mama chaa wadaa chirbandi

Aai babanvar ruslaas kaa
    … don’t remember the rest.

SS

7. Meeta

Meeta Bronze IL'ite

Hi Mals,
    I searched for my frd here and found her getting befriendly with another frd......
    A very nice write up on the majestic beauty of moon.....
    may god bless ur frdship forever........
    I still love to watch the full oon or even the Duj ka chand (a crescent-shaped one).....with winds blowing mildly......its so romantic.......
    Regards.

8. malspie

malspie Platinum IL'ite

Dear Aaishu,

You took me to the Chandama subscription days. I would eagerly wait for my copy of the book and read the stories. Moon will forever be a part of our life and will always remain my best friend.

Thanks for writing in.

9. malspie

malspie Platinum IL'ite

Dear Meena,

Thanks for being here. I am quite pleased to know that I will be in your thoughts whenever you reach the balcony. Do remember me, when you discuss about the Moon with your love one day. Thats how the chain of get woven in life and finally the heart is over filled with love that we get from all who are close to us. I am thrilled to be part of your memory along with my best friend Moon.

10. slp807

slp807 Bronze IL'ite

Dear Mals,

you took me back to my childhood!, when we used to visit our grandparents place in summer holidays we used to enjoy moon light dinner which we miss in towns and cities. The sight of moon is so pleasant that i forgot all my tensions.
    whenever we have clear sky here i will definitely spend sometime watching the glowing beauty.

A very well written writeup on everyone's best friend MOON
    and a big Thankyou :bowdown for taking me back to my childhood.