This makes sense

Discussion in 'Jokes' started by nandita24, Oct 4, 2012.

1. vaanadhi

vaanadhi Bronze IL'ite

the insitution of marriage is definitely losing its value and hold on society...My guess is, future is for "association by free will or choice"

1 person likes this.
  2. nandita24

nandita24 Gold IL'ite

Dear helpmeangel,

Well, what we are discussing here is an idea which has gained a lot of ground in the west and to a good extent in places like Europe, USA and India. It's only a matter of time this will hit our shores in a big way. (Who would have thought "Living-in" would make inroads in our cities?). Just like LGBT issues were pushed under the carpet has now become widely accepted so too alternatives to monogamous marriages. In the USA too this lifestyle was frowned upon, earlier; but progressively the scoffers have been declining and the concept has entered mainstream. People in this lifestyle are coming out openly on TV and in open society in increasing numbers.

However, as for me, I was very uncomfortable with this idea as originally envisaged and I feel modifications are desirable. This is because I am yet to get to the nuts and bolts of the concept in actual practice. And I am still trying to understand the lifestyle in its entirety. You may be happy to know that I am not fully into it as yet.... and I am exploring it from the fringes. But I feel (I am infact very much convinced) that marriages with all its trappings have outlived their time and utility the world over. It is therefore my intention to explore and learn more about alternative avenues until I finally decide.

Nandita

3. BharatS

BharatS Gold IL'ite

In future, marriage as an institution might not have any hold on the society. It is diminishing its value rapidly, which is true. Having said that, living in polygamy is no comparison to living in monogamy when the merits are weighed, and the latter shines any day... JMO.

4. nandita24

nandita24 Gold IL'ite

It's not polygamy...it is polyamory. And there is a world of difference between the two. Please don't comment without understanding the concept / my earlier posts.

Nandita

5. BharatS

BharatS Gold IL'ite

If i have to say please dont post a thread, will you agree? As much as you have the freedom to start a thread here, I have the freedom to post my comment here. If you cannot accept comments from others, please dont start a thread here.There is also a world of difference between what you and others thinking, has anybody asked you not to post anything here?

1 person likes this.
  6. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Nandita,

The concept is alien to the average reader of this site. Rather than antagonistic replies, it would help if you answered some of the questions, or cleared some of the misconceptions. For example, I went and googled the difference between polygamy and polyamory. Not many will. So, if you explain that here, many will learn. The responses that are totally disparaging of the concept itself, you can simply ignore those.

One more point to note is that, when reading a thread, readers will seldom go look at your other posts or other threads. So, if there is something in your other posts that readers need to know, you'll have to post that in this thread. Similarly, few are going to read long external articles or watch videos. A summary of those presented here would be better.

The topic is fairly intriguing, and a healthy discussion on it from you and others would be nice to read.

-Rihana

P.S Why is there no such thing as mono-amory? :)

5 people like this.
  7. riyagan

riyagan Gold IL'ite

EASY guys....i find some of the replies are very rude, personal attack and hypocritical... typical inidan mentality.. taboooo boo hoooo except that indianguy's post made some real sense..

other than that i dont hav anything to say about the topic...come across first time.

2 people like this.
  8. helpmeangel

helpmeangel Platinum IL'ite

Hi Nandita,

I do agree with the living in and LGBT concepts being open these days and myself do not frown upon such people, if I do encounter them. Though, I cannot say the same for my parents. So possibly, we need to give another 50 years at least for the polyamory concept to root/sink in our society. But I am not sure if you have so much time though to get accepted in society wholeheartedly with no back biting and live in peace. Or else, who knows, you may be one of the fore runners from our country too! the future does hold surprises for you, either rude or good!

Also, I am happy to know that you are still in your experimental stages. Hopefully you take the right decision before time flies and it becomes too late for regret or for exaltation.. so all the best from my end and hope you are happy with whatever path you take!!

1 person likes this.
  9. nandita24

nandita24 Gold IL'ite

Rihana, I like the way you have written in a polished way showing an educated mind. Infact this is what I would expect in a wonderful forum like this. And this is the least we could expect from anyone.

I do not mind people disagreeing (without superficial comments) with me and maybe if feasible, pointing out reasons if any or whatever, in a polite way. Or if interested seek more information from me or by browsing the net or simply reading what I am trying to covey. This would keep the discussion moving.

Thank you

Nandita

10. nandita24

nandita24 Gold IL'ite

Nobody could have said it better. Thank you.

Nandita