1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

This Maid of Mine........

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by meenaprakash, Aug 31, 2005.

1. meenaprakash

meenaprakash Silver IL'ite

HI Everyone,

Just wanted to share something with u all.

A few months back my friend presented me an imported set of non-stick pans. One was a rectangular baking dish and other a sauce pan.
    I used to enjoy using them in the kitchen as they looked beautiful with a mosaic pattern in grey and black on the outside and non-stick coated inside. My daughter used to always say, "Mummy cooks in style".

Then I put the sauce pan for wash and my maid used a metal scrubber and completely wiped away the non-stick coat. when I'm in the midst of some work, she showed me the non-stick pan which is completely white inside now. She showed me the pan and said with sparkling eyes that she had cleaned it so well the black stuff is removed and how shining the pan was....

I was too emotional to even speak.. couldn't react immediately... how do I scold this lady who is so innocent .. Though I was angry, hurt and depressed when I thought of my friend, I also thought of her innocence and didn't know whether to laugh or shout at her. I just left it at that.

I stopped giving the NON-STICK pans to her for wash and only after a week she noticed it. Now she realises what she had done.. she feels so bad and guilty.. from then on, she checks with me twice, thrice before deciding on things she doesn't know... she used to praise me for my cooking and for the good food I give her always but NOW suddenly I look like a goddess to her after that incidence.

Maybe if I had scolded or shouted at her for what she had done, I don't think I would've got all her attention to her action but now even without me uttering a word it has such an effect on her.

I just thought to myself how important it is to be composed - we get emotional always when things go wrong.

Though it was a loss for me it did save me from greater losses now that she pays much attention to whatever she does.....

2. Prothiba

Prothiba New IL'ite

I really appreciate your gesture, and will remember in future when i encounter similar situations.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 8, 2005
  3. MadhuRao

MadhuRao Silver IL'ite

very inspiring for us ladies u know, we are very emotional and try to react immediately at such instances.good u stayed composed...she would have fled too if u had shouted....then finding another one...is more problematic.....nevetheless some loss some gain..did u buy urself a new stuff...

Last edited by a moderator: May 16, 2008
  4. sunkan

sunkan Gold IL'ite

silence is more punishing than the shouting and when already the milk is spilt what is the use of expelling your anger on anyone for that matter, i notice it is a rare article here from you, hope you have settled down in life...sunkan

Last edited by a moderator: May 16, 2008
    sindmani likes this.
  5. gsaikripa

gsaikripa Gold IL'ite

dear Meena,
    we get emotional always when things go wrong.

I am also having the same expeience to my maid servant & agree with the words

6. sundarusha

sundarusha Gold IL'ite

Hi Meena

a very nice post. You have demonstrated that maintaining silence is more productive than erupting with words. Similar scenarios could happen with any family member too, not necessarily maids-- if not pan, something else. I will try to remember your example.

7. Paulina

Paulina Moderator Staff Member Platinum IL'ite

Dear Meena,

That was a really wonderful way you reacted to the poor maids follyBow
    I must confess I would have screamed my head off andRantRantRant till the house came down !! Is this the way you always react to such calamities or is this the first time? This is a very good example you've set and hereby a good lesson for all of us to learn and put into practice...bravo !

Thanks for sharing this here.

warm regards
    PAULINA:wave

8. brindhak

brindhak Gold IL'ite

Hi Meean Mam..

I dont know wat to say.. the same incident happened for me too. I was newly married at that time.. and my new maid in chennai... just scrubed off the nonstick with the metal scrub..... I just screamed.... Ayooo.... Akka.. wat have you done.... ?? (But no too rudely.....) Really i got tears looking at the new cookware....
    Till date i ve put that ih the store room.. No way... things happen like this now and then..

"""""""""""""""" just thought to myself how important it is to be composed - we get emotional always when things go wrong.
    Though it was a loss for me it did save me from greater losses now that she pays much attention to whatever she does..... """"""""""""""""

Very true Mam...

Love
    Brindha

Last edited: May 17, 2008
  9. corallux

corallux Bronze IL'ite

Dear Meenaprakash,

Attitude is what matters. Your calm handling of the situation raised your stature in the eyes of your Domestic help.

IN life, screaming & shouting fall on deaf ears. Whereas a silent example always wins. My mom had this experience with her new Domestic help. She just would not wash the stains off properly from the Kitchen cloth.

So, instead of yelling or screaming, Mom washed the cloth again in front of her. Point went home. Now the clothes are clean.

Regards,

Corallux

10. sathya

sathya Gold IL'ite

hello meena

flying saucers in the kitchen
    or should it be in the wash place...
    would be the normal thing
    the non stick scrubbed clean
    is no use anyway....!!!

maids these days
    are well informed