1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

This freaking fast and costly life

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by smritisinha, Dec 7, 2012.

1. smritisinha

smritisinha Platinum IL'ite

Hi all,

Today, I just have a feeling. A feeling that something is wrong with the world. :hide:

No, I'm not talking about the approaching doomsday! Its not coming around in most probabilities since I've not received my early birthday gift (my birthday is few days after the doomsday and enough of coaxing husband. He thinks he'll save money! I know he won't! The Gods up there wont let him!! :wink: )

Anyways, coming to the point, I have a feeling that the world is going in the wrong direction. I want to act now and save the world from actually dooming itself even without meteors and comets and blackholes visiting us! court-judge-smiley-emoticon.gif

Enough of kolaveri..!

Where are those days when little children used to talk made-up things and we cracked over their imaginations?? Nowadays, they're all smartly aware of everything! (Not that we don't crack up on that!!) :rant

Where are the days when a rose to a girl for proposing marriage was something that made her flip around and dance?? Why have the advertisements stolen the romance out of it by projecting a big solitaire diamond ring that'll sparkle up her eyes?? :rant

Where are the days when "simple living high thinking" was promoted??? Why is it that suddenly thanking 'n' number of people on facebook for that special chocolaty cake, pink laptop and a pile of gifts makes a birthday worthwhile? Whatever has happened to mummy-made cake and dad coming home early for home-made dinner?? :rant

Where are the days of family dinners, vacations with cousins, climbing mango trees to steal some from the neighbor, silly pigtails with ribbons of different colours, mummy-stitched pleated frocks???? Why are the x-boxes of the world ruining the special childhood moments along with the eyes of the children??? :rant

Why are we working for a big car, huge homes and lavish lifestyles instead of earning enough to make memories of lifetime with the ones we cherish??? :rant

Why do we want to sit on the porch greying and stuck with diabetes and BP for companions instead of a smiling family? Why do we want to look in the family photos of weddings and babyshowers and childbirths, thinking "where was I when my kids were smiling so hard? Oh! I was at that meeting." "Where was I when my husband was sitting alone at a couples dance? Oh! I was sulking around for not getting a gift on birthday" "Where was my husband when my daughter performed this fairy song? Oh! He was on a business trip" :rant :rant

Humble request to everyone. Money and career are important for a comfortable life. But shouldn't we earn enough to last a lifetime and give values to our children that will help them earn their share, instead of trying to amass Kuber's wealth in one life?? Shouldn't we want to spend time with the ones we love instead of repenting when they're gone? Shouldn't we cherish the smiles and crackle of our kids while they are growing up instead of working for that early promotion and pay-rises??? Shouldn't we listen to our inner voice which says "Enough for the day. The wife will be waiting / The husband will be waiting / The kids will be waiting."

On a lighter note - this will make you crack up - how mothers deliver a baby from little girl point of view - YouTube

Childhood at its best!!! :-D

31 people like this.

2. happylife123

happylife123 Silver IL'ite

wonderful write up. Most of the kids/us were taught to study well, get job, marriage, house, car, kids...

we are in the race and we dont know how to stop. but there are people who are stopping to think and changing priorities.

I like your signature. True words

1 person likes this.
  3. Anitap

Anitap IL Hall of Fame

@ smriti's husband,
    .... Grab this opportunity.... And make full use of the confession that has leaked out of her mouth accidentally.
    Now you don't have to burn a hole in your wallet for her bday gift. Forget the solitaire.

Smriti,
    Didn't have breakfast???? Feeling fuzzy? Didn't think through the whole thing???

Advance birthday wishes. :)

3 people like this.
  4. shyamala1234

shyamala1234 Platinum IL'ite

Dear Smrithi,

Agree with every word that you wrote in toto. We have to sit back and think for a while where we are leading.

Syamala

1 person likes this.
  5. b1985

b1985 Bronze IL'ite

True words.... High time we start thinking of where we are heading and fix it...

1 person likes this.
  6. Rajeni

Rajeni Moderator Platinum IL'ite

Nice writeup Smrithi.

Very true when you wrote "Where are those days when little children used to talk made-up things and we cracked over their imaginations?? "
    --Children today miss that innocence which marks childhood precious.. With the exposure that children receive nowadays, parenting has become much more chanllenging..
    When we entered the race in higher secondary, children today start running from kindergarden..

1 person likes this.
  7. deepd

deepd Gold IL'ite

Dear Smriti

I agree with you. Similar thoughts come to my mind very often when I am not able to justify leaving my DD and coming to work, when my Dh leaves home for long business trips abroad and misses my DD's many Firsts!!!
    Then Suddenly I decide that its not worth it!!!! but after that many thoughts start coming into my mind.... what for am I working ?is it money? NO
    But it gives me a satisfaction that I am not wasting my Degrees!!! thats all....
    Some one said correctly here that we are taught since our childhood to Study hard, Take a Good job , Get married and have kids!!! we are wired like that!!!

Oh amidst these serious thoughts, I forgot to wish you a Very Happy Birthday (In advance)!!! :thumbsup

Last edited: Dec 7, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  8. smritisinha

Anitaaaa!!! :notthatway: M cross with you! :evil:

I just wish for a quiet dinner together away from the regular dinner in front of television and holy sermons by commentators on some random cricket match being relayed somewhere in the world :-( And seriously, that is my birthday wish !!

By the way, this is my first birthday after marriage :mrgreen: so a rose would do the job of making me flip around!!

I'm not kidding or being a saint !! These days, "time is money" stands true for him! No time for beautiful :coffee wife back home!

edit: Thanks for the wishes :)

3 people like this.
  9. Anitap

Anitap IL Hall of Fame

Sorry dear.... Dont be cross, was just pulling your leg......one dec born to another :cheers

Btw, I miss those simple days too. :-(

1 person likes this.
  10. smritisinha

Well, now you're coming around!!! :biglaugh

I was pulling you leg too! Belated birthday wishes !! :)

1 person likes this.