Third Trimester: Back Pain ( 23 to 36 weeks)

Discussion in 'Pregnancy & Labor' started by ptamil2007, Oct 30, 2007.

1. Traveller

Traveller Gold IL'ite

Re: Back is hurting a lot

Hi Tamil,

My doc had said (for my first pregnancy) that low Hb level towards end of pregnancy (esp if you're vegetarian) is quite normal. But still she gave me iron supplements that too only for 15 days. Apparently your blood thins down to prepare for the delivery it's nothing to worry about unless it's alarmingly low. As for the back pain, please don't lie on your back. Because the baby is growing it puts pressure on your supple back muscles. It's always best to lie on your left side coz the blood flow is then perfect. I know it's difficult but keep trying... just for few more months:) To my knowledge hot water bag works the best... while you're sitting even. And yes as another IL has mentioned better to ask your doctor for some exercises so that the back pain will reduce during and after delivery.

2. vidhyalakshmid

vidhyalakshmid IL Hall of Fame

Hi Sanravi,

For relief of your backpain, get the back supporting belt
    either from walmart or babiesrus. When I was pregnant
    I used the belt throughout the third trimester. You can wear
    it under the belly all the time except your nap or sleep time.
    My baby is big, I managed by wearing the belt only.
    I could not stand in the kitchen continuously for 10 or 15
    minutes
    You can also try that.

3. ptamil2007

ptamil2007 Gold IL'ite

Thanks travller and vidyalakshmi.

I consciously sleep on my left side now-a-days. Back pain is getting better though not completely fine. But to replace that I have got neck pain shakehead

Everyday I wake up with a stiff neck though its the same pillow and the same mattress I have been sleeping.
    My husband bought me a recliner sofa to ease the pain. But I dont feel comfortable sleeping in that either.

Waking up in the morning everyday I have something new to complain bonk

Is this normal that one day there is leg pain, one day breathlessness, one day back pain, so on to list.

4. Traveller

Traveller Gold IL'ite

Nearing delivery time, all 'pain'ful experiences differs from person to person:) Around 35 weeks I had such a nasty itching sensation on my thighs and developed rashes. My doc said I had developed allergy to amniotic fluid and gave some tablets along with caladryl lotion. Oh God that allergy made me mad.. could never sleep. And then I had stiffness in leg for which she asked me to rest my legs on pillows. It's all because of the body redirecting blood to your womb so it starts getting ready for contractions. When you have so many discomforts please do ask your doctor.. may be you need some supplements. I did have some back pain towards the end of my pregnancy but it was not there throughout the day as in your case. Do let us know what your doc said... we learn so much from the forum.

5. ptamil2007

ptamil2007 Gold IL'ite

Thanks traveller. Yes you are right. posting every one's experiences gives us so much insight also we know we are not alone :cheers

6. glowmom

glowmom Senior IL'ite

if you are already doing some light exercize, that helps a lot with backpain.. i go for 30 mins walk everyday and my backpain is manageable.. i also use hot pack when it pain is too much..else hubby gives me wonderful back massage..

my doc said it is ok to lie on back for 5-10 mins if that gives you reliefe from back pain.. if you dont want to do that, lying on back on a recliner is ok too..

7. ptamil2007

ptamil2007 Gold IL'ite

Out of tiredness I cant get up, that one thing.
    Further its snowed here completely and walking is a big risk as it slips a lot.
    Even to walk to bus stop across the road is like a big thing as its too slippery. So walking is out of question for me :(

I am just trying to find relief by applying oil which I got from India. However, it doesnt help much

8. glowmom

glowmom Senior IL'ite

have you talked to your doc? mine mentioned going to therapy also might help..if pain is too much, you can give it a try..

my backpain usually gets better if i rest a bit..also, try not to bend from your waist.. if you need bend, squat down from your knees..hopefully you will feel better soon

9. cathy

cathy Senior IL'ite

Severe back pain!!

Dear Friends,

Hope all of you are doing good!!

I am in my 21st week.And i am getting severe back pain especially during the night!!

I am not able to sleep in any position.I keep a pillow in between my legs and trying to sleep to my left.But i am feeling better if i sleep straight.

Is there any Specific exercise or yoga that i can follow to get rid of my back pain?
    also If there is anyother remedy,please let me know.

My husband suggests me to go to prenatal yoga classes.Will it be really useful?Has anyone of you gone before?

Please help me out!!:help

-Cathy

10. daffodil

daffodil Bronze IL'ite

Re: Severe back pain!!

Hi Cathy,

The best sleep position during pregnancy is "SOS" (sleep on side). Even better is to sleep on your left side. Sleeping on your left side will increase the amount of blood and nutrients that reach the placenta and your baby. Keep your legs and knees bent and a pillow between your legs.
    If you find that you are having problems with back pain, use the "SOS" position and try placing a pillow under your abdomen as well. Take a huge body pillow and place it between knees and under belly and place the top part on normal pillows. It relieves the swelling in ankles, takes pressure off knees, gives belly support,
    Avoid sleeping on the back.
    This can cause problems with backaches, breathing, digestive system, hemorrhoids, low blood pressure and decrease in circulation to your heart and your baby. This is a result of your abdomen resting on your intestines and major blood vessels (the aorta and vena cava).Lying on your back in the second and third trimester can also cause changes in blood pressure. For some women, it can cause a drop in blood pressure
    that can make them feel <ARTICLE 228>dizzy</ARTICLE>; for others, it can cause an unwanted increase in blood pressure.
    Trust this helps to some extent.