Third Trimester: Back Pain ( 23 to 36 weeks)

Discussion in 'Pregnancy & Labor' started by ptamil2007, Oct 30, 2007.

1. ptamil2007

ptamil2007 Gold IL'ite

Hi Ladies,

saw your posts. very informative. I am also in 25 weeks. I havent gained more weight till now ..

But past 2 days, my back is hurting a lot.Last night I could not sleep last night.
    and today also sitting in office is causing more pain.

When I stand, I dont feel the pain. But when I lie down (tried lying on all sides), or when sitting, pain is more.

I dont want to take any painkillers or rush to the nurse now itself.
    Can you suggest some home remedies and probably reason for this pain?

2. sanravi_1970

sanravi_1970 Gold IL'ite

Re: Back is hurting a lot

I am 33 weeks pregnant. Even my back hurts a lot for a long time, the only thing i do is asking others to press my back :)
    otherwise people wud say taking warm/hot shower might help.
    Try it out

3. Eljaype

Eljaype Bronze IL'ite

Hi ,

I can help you in this matter. What I did during these times was to get Dhanvanthera thailam, from Ayurvedic medicals and havea soft massage. Do not apply force, just apply it in and around the area where it pains. After half an hour take warm water bath. If you like you can use hot water for the back but not for the front abdomen portion.

You can also use Pinda Thailam for this purpose. Dhanvanthera Kuzhambhu will be the best but it is very sticky, you'll have to use besan or green gram flour for removing the stickiness.

we do this from the seventh month onwards till the delivery is over. If you like you can try it out. All the best
    Love
    Latha :wave

4. sunkan

sunkan Gold IL'ite

hai friends sanravi, ptamil,
    now the climate is getting colder, so even the normal people have back pain and joint pain, even people who never had would have this and you people are pregnant, pl if you have a tub in ur house take hot tub bath, lie down inside with some nice soft music and aroma candles to sooth your back and never strain to sit down, try a lot of cushions and pl make a place on your sofa so you can just recline, try this link i wanted to my theory to be backed by some medical practitioners to help u in the right direction..sunkan

Low back pain during pregnancy - BabyCenter

5. sanravi_1970

sanravi_1970 Gold IL'ite

Dear sunkan

Thank u very much for ur suggestions, i use recliner to sit too...

6. Mahajanpragati

Mahajanpragati Platinum IL'ite

dear ptamil,
    i am worried about ur not gaining weight.what do ur doc says about it.
    i am 12 weeks preg with my 2nd baby.uptill now i have not gained any weight ,rather lost 1.5kg.so the doc was very concerned.according to her even if i had not added wt. i should not have lost it.due to it my Hb level too has gone down.but as this is my 2nd baby & same thing happened during the first one also i am confident i will add in coming mths.
    she has given me a chart according to which after 3 mth every mth i should add minimum of 1.5 kg wt per mth ,so that by delivery atleast 8-9 kg wt should be there.
    pls see that u get ur doc to check ur no wt gain situation.
    take care
    pragati

7. Anushree

Anushree New IL'ite

Hi,

I am also pregnant and expecting my baby any time next month.

For your back ache problem, I suggest you consult your physiotherapist and she will suggest you pelvic bridging and pelvic tilt excercises. I have been doin these regularly along with some pranayam and the pain gets relieved easily.

You can find these excercises on Internet as well but I would suggest you once consult your Dr and Physiotherapist.

Take care and enjoy your pregnancy :)

Anu

8. ptamil2007

ptamil2007 Gold IL'ite

Hi Pragati,

The doctor says that not a problem with not gaining much weight. She did an internal checkup today and said baby is fine and the fundus measurement is also correct for the weeks. Yes I do have low haemoglobin and blood pressure levels. For blood pressure she says just I have to be careful about getting up and walking. Otherwise it wont harm the baby. and low BP is always better than high BP.
    For Hb levels, she has given Iron tablets,which are horrible since they are affecting bowel movements :-o

I do feel tired and the back pain is there. But now-a-days I am getting resigned to the fact :spin

I was just worried about my blood sugar level, which has come out as normal. thank god, I am relieved now.

Here the temp is getting colder day by day and as sunkan pointed out, it also adds to it. I take bath twice a day to feel the warmth. I also applied one pain relieving oil which I had from India. But nothing is working out.

9. Mahajanpragati

Mahajanpragati Platinum IL'ite

hi ptamil,
    if doc says the weight is ok then it must be fine.
    how is ur back pain.do u sleep on ur left .avoid sleeping straight.also,with increasing tummy more pressure will be on backbone so the pain is going to be there.
    take care & better ask doc to suggest some exercise or pain reliever for back pain as there are still many weeks to go so better seek comfort.
    pragati

10. ptamil2007

ptamil2007 Gold IL'ite

Thanks pragati. I try to sleep on the left side as it seems a bit more ok than sleeping to right or on back.