Things to take care before leaving India for long term foreign work

Discussion in 'Education & Personal Growth' started by asham1234, May 17, 2012.

1. asham1234

asham1234 New IL'ite

Hey thozhi's

My and my hubby will be moving to US by end of June. Does anybody have a list of things to take care before leaving India for a long-term like

1. Close some additional bank accounts
    2. Use expiring credit card points/rewards
    3. Close some (or all) credit cards

Something like this which you might have prepared or something which comes to your mind?

2. Pranjjal

Pranjjal Gold IL'ite

Hi asham,

Set and activate all ur Internet passwards for online finance management like MSEB bill,Property Tax, Premium payment etc. If possible and feel needed make a power of attorney on the name ur parent or whom u trust the most if u will leave behind some imp work to be done. Sign blank account payee cheqs and give it to ur parent or the person u trust the most in order to make urgent payments. Pay off all ur bills there. If u r going to get US salary then create NRO/NRE bank account for NRI services. If u hv demat account then set up it for NRI. Think about ur gold/silver jewelry where u want to keep it in a locker or with ur parents etc. Make zerox copies of pan card/passport,driving license,latest photos etc and self attest them and hand it over to ur parents sometimes banks,insurance companies periodically demands these in India. If u hv loans make sure that u can set up direct debit from ur new NRO/NRE account. Chk maturity dates of ur investments and how the amount will get deposited after maturity etc. Make a copy of ur real estate papers if u hv any such property and hand it over to ur parent or trustworthy person if in case society need them. Think about the vehicles u hv what u want to do with it sell it or give it to someone to use. If u r going to keep it give keys to someone who can at least start periodically or empty the fuel tank and cover them. If u hv school going kids u need to go to school to talk to Principal. If I skipped something and remember afterwards I will add it. Time being go on........till the last moment u will feel Am I missing something.
    And make sure to see off everyone properly because u will surely miss them like crazy until ur nxt trip back to India.

1 person likes this.
  3. asham1234

asham1234 New IL'ite

Thanks friends.. Definitely useful.. [​IMG]

Others, please add if you see anything is missing

[​IMG]
    Asha